Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Discussion Topic: Where-O, where-o is our old friend Dano?
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 12, 2015

Well being able to offer a wrestler the chance to train with 4x champ Stieber or World Champ Snyder should be a good sales pitch moving forward.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on September 14, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Well being able to offer a wrestler the chance to train with 4x champ Stieber or World Champ Snyder should be a good sales pitch moving forward."

You beat me to it, Hank! I was wondering if it helps a blue chip recruit seeing a kid like Kyle succeed at the highest levels while still in college? A kid like Hall and Lee has to see that and think "hmmmm, Ohio State might be a great fit for me just like it was Kyle Snyder!" Right? :)

Ben Golden added to this discussion on September 14, 2015

It sure can't hurt.

Corey Haddad added to this discussion on September 14, 2015

Mark Hall is down to Ohio State and Penn State. Visits Happy Valley on October 10 and Columbus the following weekend.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 14, 2015

Quote from Corey Haddad's post:

"Mark Hall is down to Ohio State and Penn State. Visits Happy Valley on October 10 and Columbus the following weekend."

thats interesting, i'd think NEB would be in strong position given Mark Hall was Buroughs workout partner in Vegas. Well, Ryan gets the prefered last visit.

Hard to beat Cael, but Ryan has done it before. I'm thinking its a tossup, edge to ohio st which Dano predicted a couple months ago. (Corey being new to this forum doesnt understand Dano's clairvoyant powers.)

Deven Dittrich added to this discussion on September 15, 2015

I have also heard coaches say that they want to be the last visit. The theory being that the most recent experience is the strongest experience. If a kid takes a great visit in mid-September to ABC University but then takes 2-3 more visits before making his decision in early November, the shine (in the recruit's mind) has faded from that ABC visit due to time and other similar experiences diluting that earlier visit. As we've seen, though, this strategy can backfire if the recruit cancels future visits. I think that only happens when the recruit already is leaning toward that school and he has a great visit or receives an offer that he is hoping for. With Hall's visits between PSU and tOSU being only one week apart, I don't think that there is any chance of this happening.

Hall will be visiting PSU during Homecoming weekend, which should intensify the experience. State College is a great "college town" and definitely has a different feel from Columbus. However, as anyone who has ever been around the Horseshoe during a home football game knows, there's no place like Columbus in October during a football weekend.

Nebraska being in the picture shouldn't be that big of a surprise with Burroughs and Green having so much success internationally recently. JB has star power that should help with recruits for years to come and Coach Manning is an excellent recruiter who always seems to have Nebraska in the mix with top recruits.

If it really is down to the two mentioned, it should be a great battle between two titans- Coach Ryan/tOSU and Coach Cael/PSU. Looking at the coaches, training partners, programs, schools, program support from fans and administration, facilities, post-grad RTC opportunities, etc, Hall can't really make a "wrong" choice. It should come down to a gut choice of which place feels like "home".

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on September 15, 2015

I've had personal experience with only about a half dozen recruits so my experience is limited. What I've learned is when a recruit visits a school and loves the vibe, every visit after is being compared to that visit. With social media, cell phones and etc, that recruits stay in contact with the schools athletes and those relationships solidify. Therefor, the shine I don't believe ever really dissipates if the student athlete believes that ABC University is the right fit for them.

Deven, I agree, cancelling trips happen and those that have a school in mind, just go through the motion when it comes to the final/last visits. Alot of student athletes take unofficial visits and know where they want to attend, the only thing that delays the verbal commitment is waiting until an official scholarship offer can be presented.

I can understand the last visits prior to social media, heavy usage when it comes to cell phones and etc. Today's generation is so connected that delaying visits just doesn't make sense.

With student athletes committing earlier than years past, do you really want to be the last visit?

Deven Dittrich added to this discussion on September 15, 2015

Good points, Dwight. Recruiting today is a different animal than it was 10- or even 5- years ago.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 15, 2015

#Dano says yes i want the last visit, the last shot at the buzzer, last possession in OT, last piece of pizza, last train to Clarksville, last word in debate, last chance at romance.

Now Dano digresses, its his thread so he can --
when not romancing showgirls, partying with Bill Cosby, or doing Elvis shows, Dano enjoys dabling in the dirty game of politic.

Regardless of ones political persuasion the political cartoonist is priceless, the enemy of all pols & stuffed shirts. And the Plain Dealer has one of the very best, Jeff Darcy, he cuts like a knife. Enjoy his works.

http://www.cleveland.com/darcy/index.ssf/2015/09/obamas_weak_response_to_syria.html#incart_most-commented_osu

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 15, 2015

Posted today on themat.com. I cannot corroborate if this is accurate:

"Circling back to Mark Hall, Corey Haddad the high school guy from AWN just reported that Hall is down to Penn State and Ohio State. He reports that Hall will make official visits to Penn State on Oct. 10, then C'bus on Oct. 18, then decide on Oct. 22."

Corey Haddad--is this true?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 15, 2015

Corey already posted that on this forum in fact this thread ---see about 6 posts ago -- last night, themat.com took it from here.

Laughing at my own stupidity as I do daily....

Thanks Bob.

So, does Mark Hall like pastrami or brisket?

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on September 15, 2015

Hank, you better check the NCAA recruiting by-laws before even asking a question like that! :)

Quote from J.P. Barner's post:

"Hank, you better check the NCAA recruiting by-laws before even asking a question like that! :)"

Hypothetical question! Don't anyone call the cops.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on September 15, 2015

We know that Hall took at least one unofficial visit to PSU, has he taken any unofficial visits to tOSU?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next