Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks 197 for 15-16
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 23, 2015

With Snyder taking an Olympic redshirt, I have two thoughts:
First, he had an amazing season considering that folk is not his best style. Second, who takes his spot?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on June 23, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"With Snyder taking an Olympic redshirt, I have two thoughts:
First, he had an amazing season considering that folk is not his best style. Second, who takes his spot?"

At this moment I think it will be Mark Martin and so the next question is who takes Mark's spot.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on June 24, 2015

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"

First, he had an amazing season considering that folk is not his best style. Second, who takes his spot?"

At this moment I think it will be Mark Martin and so the next question is who takes Mark's spot."

My vote is for Mark Niemann to fill that vacancy. Hopefully Tom Ryan is on the phone right now w/ him. I mean 4xers (sectional qualifier) don't just walk in off the street everyday. However, I suspect if the door were opened (or at least not chained shut and the restraining order lifted) he'd be in there in a heartbeat. Looks like our problem my be solved.
#inNiemannwetrust

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 24, 2015

It was suggested to me that Bucks may elect to redshirt several frosh plus Mark Martin and simply fill in as best they can. Think 13-14 lineup. Then they'll get back Snyder and make another run in 16-17.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on June 24, 2015

I also think Mark Martin should get a redshirt.

I know it's crazy but I think the Bucks could still finish top three with bunches of shirts granted.

Need a back up 125.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on June 24, 2015

125 Nate
133 JDJ
141 Hunter
149 Ryan
157 Jordan
165 Jordan
174 Harris
184 Courts
197 ????
285. Tav. or Haines

My shot at the lineup or could we see Bo jump to 174?

Curt Heinrichs added to this discussion on June 24, 2015

I don't see Bo moving up to 174 because he's got a great shot at the top of the podium next year since I've heard rumors that Dieringer is moving up to 174.

Remember that Courts filled in at 197 for Camp a few years ago. Could be a possibility if he gets on the Nick Heflin "bulk = NCAA success" program. Again, this could depend on the field at 197 (don't have a second to look at who's returning). If that's the case, Martin at 184 and Kenny at 197.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 24, 2015

Courts to 197 is a distinct possibility. The Martins--Mark and Myles--will probably redshirt. Same for Moore and Hayes is my guess.

Steve Lester--third place is an outside possibility but it would take a second consecutive near flawless performance. Coach Ryan loves the challenge. I'd settle for anywhere inside top ten given the fact that Snyder is redshirting.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 24, 2015

"125 Nate
133 JDJ
141 Hunter
149 Ryan
157 Jordan
165 Jordan
174 Harris
184 Courts
197 ????
285. Tav. or Haines

My shot at the lineup or could we see Bo jump to 174?"

i think these are possible combinations as of today:
125- Tomasello
133- DiJulius
141- Stieber/Hayes
149- Jordan/Ryan/Stieber
157- Jordan/Ryan/Burcher
165- Bo Jordan
174- Williams/Harris/Myles Martin
184- Courts/Moore/Mark Martin
197- Same as 184
285- Tavanello/Haines

Steve Lester added to this discussion on June 24, 2015

" third place is an outside possibility but it would take a second consecutive near flawless performance. Coach Ryan loves the challenge. I'd settle for anywhere inside top ten given the fact that Snyder is redshirting."

Near flawless? The Hawkeye announcers talked about how Ohio State wrestled out of their minds. I disagreed. My view is that phrase could have been accurate if Ohio State had surpassed that preseason projected number of 115 points. I think Ohio State met "slice in time" expectations because of injury limitations. Was any Ohio State fan, paying attention to the second half of the season, really surprised by the three freshmen grabbing a 1st, 2nd, and third, once the brackets came out? Courts also. He didn't do anything in the NCAAs that he hadn't already demonstrated in the second half of the season; the second half comebacks were the opposite of the prior year.

I suppose it's too early to project potential scores, but this is what we scored by pairs of weights in March:

125-133 27.0
141-149 26.0
156-165 20.5
174-184 10.5
197-285 18.0

Is it reasonable to think we could match or even surpass some of those scores? Or is that wildly optimistic (AKA-crazy talk)?

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on June 24, 2015

"Courts to 197 is a distinct possibility. The Martins--Mark and Myles--will probably redshirt. Same for Moore and Hayes is my guess.

Steve Lester--third place is an outside possibility but it would take a second consecutive near flawless performance. Coach Ryan loves the challenge. I'd settle for anywhere inside top ten given the fact that Snyder is redshirting."

Hank, we still have three potential finalist ( NATO, HUNTER, BO) and JDJ can beat anyone in the nation. The other Jordan had a big red shirt season! Kenny Courts was hitting on all cylinders at the tournament! I think Hunter will match or surpass Snyder's points from last year. We will need Mongoose, Hayes, and Tav to match Logie's points last year collectively and will can be right in the team race.

David Rourke added to this discussion on June 24, 2015

Is blue chip 285 Thomas Haines still around? Also, I've heard that Courts is in the 220 range right now...If so, I'd say he's the 197 next year.

Greg Debbe added to this discussion on June 25, 2015

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"

"

At this moment I think it will be Mark Martin and so the next question is who takes Mark's spot."

My vote is for Mark Niemann to fill that vacancy. Hopefully Tom Ryan is on the phone right now w/ him. I mean 4xers (sectional qualifier) don't just walk in off the street everyday. However, I suspect if the door were opened (or at least not chained shut and the restraining order lifted) he'd be in there in a heartbeat. Looks like our problem my be solved.
#inNiemannwetrust"

I'm not sure Niemann can make the cut to 197. He was looking pretty big the last time I saw him.

Curt Heinrichs added to this discussion on June 25, 2015

Quote from David Rourke's post:

"Is blue chip 285 Thomas Haines still around? Also, I've heard that Courts is in the 220 range right now...If so, I'd say he's the 197 next year."

Haines is around. He redshirted last year and I believe he may have been rehabbing an injury. Tav is an undersized heavyweight and he got pushed around in the Big Ten tournament by some of the bigger heavies. It'll be interesting to see how the wrestle-off pans out at 285 this fall.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 25, 2015

First Dual Next Year:
125: NaTo
133: JDJ
141: New Jersey kid or Jose Rodriguez. Wouldn't shock me to see Hunter here at some point. If that's the plan, Hayes is almost certain to redshirt.
149: Jake Ryan
157: MoJo
165: BoJo
174: Harris or Prezzia or Kresevic (my guess is Harris)
184: Same as 174
197: Courts
285: Tav

Hunter back to 141 makes a lot of sense if he is healthy enough to wrestle effectively and cut weight. 149 is loading up nationally. If he's huge at 141 and wrestles half a season, he's your NCAA champ IMO. Add in high finishes from NaTo and BoJo plus a bit more help and there's a chance to make top three. I think Bo becomes a small favorite at 165 if AD goes up. I think NaTo was flawless last year thru Big Tens and NCAAs but it gets tougher with Mega back in the pic.

Nice aspect for next season is that there is no pressure with Snyder training for Gold. Bucks will be expected to finish behind PSU, OkieSU, Michigan, Iowa and Cornell. I know you guys don't want to hear it but Big Blue is terrific on paper.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next