Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Kyle Snyder-WTT Champ
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 16, 2015

19 years old, just finished his true frosh year of college and now he's the US representative on a world team. Typically, the upper wt classes are the hardest for a young wrestler as older, more powerful wrestlers dominate.

He beat out an Olympic champ and a former world team member among others.

Other than Logan winning 4, this is arguably the most amazing accomplishment by an Ohio State wrestler in a long time.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mike Stann added to this discussion on June 16, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"19 years old, just finished his true frosh year of college and now he's the US representative on a world team. Typically, the upper wt classes are the hardest for a young wrestler as older, more powerful wrestlers dominate.

He beat out an Olympic champ and a former world team member among others.

Other than Logan winning 4, this is arguably the most amazing accomplishment by an Ohio State wrestler in a long time."

Hank, I couldn't agree more. He beat the reigning Olympic champ (and world bronze medal winner the year prior), 10 years his senior. If he could medal this year or next (or best both) what a boon to tOSU wrestling program. Oh and by the way I'm thinking if Jake Varner would never see another OSU wrestler in his career that would be fine with him. His last NCAA tournament loss was to Mike Pucillo.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on June 16, 2015

Quote from Mike Stann's post:

"

HOh and by the way I'm thinking if Jake Varner would never see another OSU wrestler in his career that would be fine with him. His last NCAA tournament loss was to Mike Pucillo."

Mike, I thought the same thing after Kyle won.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on June 16, 2015

and if I'm not mistaken, it was J.D. Bergman who was the last guy to beat Varner in the world team trials (2010).

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on June 17, 2015

He definitely showed that the Open was not a fluke. What a treat to watch a young kid show such poise against the elite. He reminds me of Sadulaev (RUS). I don't necessarily think he win run the table and tech in the finals, but I do think he will be in medal contention, especially on U.S. soil.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 17, 2015

Key for Snyder was to win the US Open. It's nearly impossible to win the challenge tourney then beat a great opponent 2 out of 3.

I'm incredibly impressed with Kyle Dake. He took a long time off with injury then came back and defeated Howe and Taylor with somewhat relative ease. His first match against Burroughs was tight and even in his second bout he came back hard after Burroughs got off to a huge lead.

Generally speaking, there's something to be said for taking time off from training to heal and collect ones thoughts. Worked very well for Jake Herbert also.

► Add to the Discussion