Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: NCAA Rule Changes
Robert Dalton added to this discussion on June 9, 2015

Found these on another site and thought I would pass along.

NCAA.com
- Jun 8, 2015

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved Monday the drop-down rule and the neutral-position stalling rule in wrestling, starting with the 2015-16 season.

Both rules were used on an experimental basis last season. Both are now permanent rules, though the panel made a few tweaks before approving so referees will have a clearer understanding of how both should be applied.

While officiating the drop-down rule, the referee will immediately begin a five-second count for stalling once the offensive wrestler positions himself with one or both hands below the buttocks of the defensive wrestler. The referee will stop the count when the offensive wrestler improves his position, moves his hold above the buttocks of the defensive wrestler or releases the hold.

If the referee reaches the fifth count before the offensive wrestler improves his position, moves his hold above the buttocks or releases the hold, the offensive wrestler will be called for stalling.

Additionally, if the offensive wrestler lifts the defensive wrestler’s leg off the mat and both wrestlers reach the standing position, the referee will stop the five-second count. But if the offensive wrestler does not continue to attempt to return the defensive wrestler to the mat, the referee can call stalling, as in the past, without the five-second count.

Another stalling call related to the drop-down rule can be made by the referee if the offensive wrestler applies a hold with his hand or arm around the defensive wrestler’s waist while applying the other arm or hand below the buttocks. In that scenario, the five-second count will start and continue until the hold below the buttocks has been released.

The neutral-position stalling rule was used experimentally in the National Wrestling Coaches Association All-Star Classic in November.

After watching how it was called in that event, members of the NCAA Wrestling Rules Committee determined that when wrestling is stopped in the neutral standing position for going out of bounds, the referee can make one of the three following calls:

• Stalling on one or both wrestlers for leaving the wrestling area.

• Stalling for pushing or pulling the opponent out of bounds.

• Wrestling action is taking place. (It should be noted that a tie-up, including an under hook with no attempt to initiate an offensive move, is not considered an offensive or defensive attack).

Other rules approved by the panel include:

• Recommending that teams wear contrasting colored singlets at dual meets.

• Awarding two points for a near fall if the referee reaches a two-count. Four points would be awarded if the referee reaches a four-count.

• Experimenting with a rule at the National Wrestling Coaches Association All-Star Classic that would award three points for a takedown.

• Separating the “control-of-mat area” and “questioning the referee” penalties in the penalty chart. If a coach leaves the restricted area, the penalty structure will be: a warning on the first offense; loss of a team point in the event standings/score on the second offense; and loss of two team points and ejection on the third offense.

• When wrestlers interlock fingers in the neutral position, the referee will stop the action and call it stalemate, and any subsequent offenses would require the referee to call stalling on the wrestler who initiates the interlocking.

• Once the offensive wrestler assumes the correct starting position, the referee will wait a minimum of one second after saying, “set,” before sounding the whistle for wrestling to begin."

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on June 10, 2015

Looks, to me, like a bunch of changes just to say that we did something.

There are FAR too many conditions that are being applied to the various "stalling" situations. Too many things to think about during the match. Could they be stalling? Sure could but there again, maybe not.

Having said that, I am not a fan of riding time. Perhaps the NCAA could spend their time addressing the stalling that occurs under the guise of riding time? IMO, it takes the air out of far too many matches at the highest level.

This is the one that I really don't understand:

• When wrestlers interlock fingers in the neutral position, the referee will stop the action and call it stalemate, and any subsequent offenses would require the referee to call stalling on the wrestler who initiates the interlocking.

Please tell me how you can make that determination reliably??? Perhaps it can be determined on some occasions but I can assure you that is not always the case. Much like head butts, sometimes it is obvious and sometimes it is not. I can guarantee you that every coach will tell you that it is the other wrestler who is doing it.
Furthermore, a stalemate is defined as a situation where neither wrestler can improve their position. Stalling is where one wrestler chooses not to improve. How does this rule justify making a change in the call for the same situation?

Just my $.02

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on June 10, 2015

Could someone in the know explain to me why the 4 point near fall was a necessary change?

Legitimately curious.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 10, 2015

Seems they want to incentivize working for turns but that is already incentivized. They should have instead de-incentivized riding without intent of turning

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 10, 2015

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Seems they want to incentivize working for turns but that is already incentivized. They should have instead de-incentivized riding without intent of turning"

That is gold!!! Excellent statement, Ben.

► Add to the Discussion