Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: The Cavs!
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 27, 2015

First, the Buckeye wrestlers won NCAA's. Now, my Cleve Cavs are in the Finals. Thoughts?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mike Stann added to this discussion on May 27, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"First, the Buckeye wrestlers won NCAA's. Now, my Cleve Cavs are in the Finals. Thoughts?"

And don't forget the buckeye football team. Good time to be an Ohio sports fan. (and how many times could I say that these last 50-60 years). I'm from Cleveland so you know I'm a optimistic pessimist, but I like the Cavs chances.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 27, 2015

"First, the Buckeye wrestlers won NCAA's. Now, my Cleve Cavs are in the Finals. Thoughts?"

slight correction brother Hank,
first for many of us was ohio st football wins national title in january, 2nd ohio st wrestling wins too, now if Cavs prevail will be dream year for Cleveland area buckeye fans & alumni.

our "pop" may be declining but as LeBron said, "Nothing in northeast ohio is easy".

furthermore from AWN June 2015, author editor Ron Good: The Greatest High School Teams Ever? i quote:

The idea came from a well-known
Oklahoma lawyer on a road trip to Stillwater to
see Penn State dual Oklahoma State in Gallagher-
Iba Arena. Four wrestling fans stuck in a car
for an hour and half talking about wrestling.
The conversation turned to an Oklahoma high
school team of the past. An ex-wrestler himself,
the lawyer made a bold statement. He said he
thought the 1963 Oklahoma City John Marshall
HS team was not only the best ever assembled in
the state, but possibly one of the best in the entire
country.

Of course a statement like this can never be
proved, yet opened up a few weeks of research
as well as email conversations with experts on
the subject. With no way of comparing teams
from different eras, we used what individuals did
in college as a tool in separating the best teams
rather than just titles won and individual state
champions.

After much discussion, we whittled the
list down to five and in no particular order --
although the Blair Academy team of 2002 might
just rate as the best high school team ever put
together. Behind Blair is the aforementioned
John Marshall Oklahoma team of 1963, Midwest City
Oklahoma 1981 and Cleveland Ohio area teams
MAPLE HEIGHTS 1969 and WALSH JESUIT 1995.

Shel Harper added to this discussion on May 27, 2015

Bob...nice bit of mat mostalgia. Re the Midwest City OK team of 1981 as I remember: They won at St. Ed, partly because their John LaViolette beat Greg Elinsky and Tom Kalski had to forfeit (injury) after leading. In 1982 St. Ed turned the tables as Greg got revenge on LaViolette, who was called Oklahoma's best wrestler at any weight. Jim Heffernan won both years, beating their Keith Walton. Bubba Strauss had a big win in the '82 dual. Is your memory good enough to tell me if I'm close on the facts?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 27, 2015

close Shel
...Laviolette pinned Elinsky in 81, Elinsky got revenge in 82 when st Eds won
...no Kalski, for st Eds 185 Blanc inj ff to MWC
...however one of MWC stars Starzenski, later a Div 2 colege national champ wasnt there, brother just died, in fact state troopers stopped bus and took him home.
.. how about this, MWC took bus from southwest Okla to st Eds mid winter in 81 and beat st Eds here. Great team.

from AWN:
"The 1981 Midwest City (Okla.) team I fondly recall for taking a bus from central Oklahoma to Lakewood Ohio on Lake Erie in mid-Winter to beat powerhouse home team St. Edward, 30-22. People everywhere, all over the floor, the crowd was huge, the noise deafening. MWC 145 John Laviolette pinned future NCAA 2X runnerup St. Ed’s Greg Elinsky. Back then teams of this caliber would normally never meet, it was a groundbreaking event."

Mike Stann added to this discussion on May 28, 2015

Bob my memory is not nearly as good as you guys but I was wrestling at Parma high and Independence in the late 60's and Maple Heights dominated. Seemed to have a potential state champ at every weight. And no high school divisions back then. Besides the Milkovich kids (three won championships) I seem to remember a kid named Romero maybe and hicks? I do remember that as a wrestler from Cleveland we didn't think anyone else not from Cleveland was worth a plug nickel. And Maple Heights was the Penn State (Taylor Ruth era) of Cleveland.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 28, 2015

Cavs in four or five. Having LBJ is like having Logan and David Taylor. The Splash brothers? Like having Ramos and Morningstar.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 28, 2015

Lil B says otherwise Hank:

Sending a warning to lebron James Kyrie jr smith and iman shumpert yall stealing swag Lil B cooking dance what yall doing #warned - Lil B

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 28, 2015

I like LeBron and the Cavs, I have since my days living in Richfield and watching Mark Price do his thing...but I don't understand why Cavs fans think they are/should be favored in this series. There's not a single place where the Cavs are better than Golden State. Even as good as James has played this year, Curry has been better. They are the better team. They had the better regular season record, they've beaten better competition, they're healthier.

Can someone explain to me where the optimism comes from?

Last edited by Michael Rodriguez on May 29, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 28, 2015

Michael: and the fact that GMHS might be able to hang with the rest of the East does not bode well for any good record the Cavs had.

But I'm going to watch. My son is getting into sports and this is the flavor of the month.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on May 29, 2015

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I like LeBron and the Cavs, I have since my days living in Richfield and watching Mark Price do his thing...but I don't understand why Cavs fans think they are/should be favored in this series. There's not a single place where the Cavs are better than Golden State. Even as good as James has played this year, Curry has been better. They are the better team. They had the better regular season record, they've beaten better compitition, they're healthier.

Can someone explain to me where the optimism comes from?"

You paint with a broad brush. As a Cavs fan I am optomistic but not necessarily certain of the outcome. My optimism rests with their defense. It has been superb the second half of the season and in the playoffs.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 29, 2015

Mike: There is a big difference between Curry and LBJ. Curry is a terrific shooter and solid player much like Derrick Rose from several years ago. But he will never be one of the All Time Greats. He's too small and too frail.

You're comparing a wrestler like Pete Nathanson to David Taylor when you look at Curry next to LBJ.

I could be wrong about this series but I really think having LBJ's experience and leadership makes a huge difference.

I'll eat crow if necessary but don't expect to.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 29, 2015

Hank...no doubt you're totally right when comparing James and Curry from a career standpoint or an All Time standpoint. There's no question LeBron is leaps and bounds better, as one is a great player having a storybook season and the other is arguably the best small forward of all time and a top ten all time guy regardless of position.

But Curry is the MVP of the league for a reason. That's where my comment came from. Couple that with the success Golden State has had all season, their lack of sinificant injury and the depth and skill of their roster, I just don't see how an objective observer could see the Cavs as the favorites. Could the Cavs win? Absolutely. Would I pick them or put real money on it? No.

For the record, I'd love to see them win. Partially for the great story of LeBron coming back and all that entails and most notably fir what it would mean for the city to bring home a title. So, for Cleveland's sake, I hope I'm wrong on this one. It kinda bodes well for Cleveland...I'm wrong a lot.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on May 30, 2015

Under glass half full:

When the Browns won Cleveland's last championship, they were huge underdogs.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 30, 2015

"Mike: I'll eat crow if necessary but don't expect to."

of course Hank wont eat crow, he will eat brisket regardless of outcome.

it would be too good a story for Cavs to win, too much to ask for after a year of delights (ohio st football & wrestling). ---Cavs lose in 7, but city still has parade for them, makes the usual "wait till next year" speeches disregarding fact free agency destroys teams nowadays -- finally Mr Brisket features a "Lebron" sandwich.

► Add to the Discussion