Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State Recruiting going forward
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 21, 2015

Obviously Ohio State would love to get a Mark Hall or Spencer Lee. What are the real chances? Who else is on the recruiting radar? Also what happened with Marinelli? Did Hall have anything to do with it? I believe Isiah White is a huge buckeye fan and ranked number 1 at 152, but is there any room for him?Dijulius is going to graduate so who fills that 133 next year? I believe NATO is a career 125 and not sure Rodriquez is going to be a big ten ready 133.Love to hear if anyone has any inside info or answers.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on April 21, 2015

I was going to start a new thread, but I will add this here.

Buckeye Breakdown

Here is a breakdown of the Buckeyes roster for the upcoming future. This includes the four incoming freshman for next year. Year listed is for next wrestling season.

Current
Nathan Tomasello (RS So) – The returning national champ makes this weight set for the next three seasons as I don’t see Tomasello moving up at any point. However, it would be nice to have someone else on the roster to allow NaTo to skip a dual here and there and avoid some wear and tear.

Recruiting
Assuming Rodriguez is a 133, then Ohio State could use a solid backup in the next year or two. A future starter doesn’t need recruited until the 2017 class. That would allow a redshirt year during NaTo’s final year, and then the opportunity to start. Obviously Spencer Lee would be the perfect fit, assuming he is a 125.

Current
Johnni DiJulius (RS Sr), Mike Manuche (Sr), Kyle Visconti (RS Sr), Drew Stone (RS Sr), Matt Davis (RS So), Mike Hozan (RS So), Jose Rodriguez (Fr)
Based on Mr. DiJulius’ indication that weight cutting is not an issue for JDJ, I assume he stays here for his senior year. That means that the weight is solid for 2016. Rodriguez is a solid recruit, top 10 nationally at his weight, and the heir apparent for 2017 and beyond.

Recruiting
While Rodriguez is very good, I don’t think this is a weight where you pass up a stud in any class. Tyler Warner or Tariq Wilson would be good targets from Ohio.

Current
Sal Marandino (So), Ke-Shawn Hayes (Fr)
This is a weight that could see some additions from the current roster. I could see Hunter Stieber, Jake Ryan or Cody Burcher making a drop to this weight. If Hunter is healthy and here, then he is a national title contender. If Hayes is a permanent 141, then this class is filled for the next 4-5 years.

Recruiting
If Hayes is projected as a 141 for his career, then I don’t think you target this weight that hard over the next 3 years. However, if he is looking to move up eventually, then this weight needs hit hard in the next couple of years. Ladnier and Shie make sense from Ohio.

Current
Hunter Stieber (RS Sr), Blake Riley-Hawkins (RS So), Jake Donatelli (RS So), Micah Jordan (RS Fr), Jake Ryan (RS Fr), Cody Burcher (RS Fr)
This weight is very interesting, and sets the lineup for 141, 149 and 157. If Hunter drops, then I think Micah is here and Ryan goes 157. If Hunter stays here, then I think Ryan/Burcher try to drop and Micah goes 157. Between Micah, Ryan, Burcher and Hayes, this weight is covered for the next 4-5 years.

Recruiting
Unless Micah intends to be here for the next 4 years, this is a weight, like 133, where you target superstars only. There is depth, but Ryan and Burcher are not the kind of guys you choose not to recruit over. No one in Ohio in the next two classes jumps out at me, but Demas, Carr and Jordan would look great in the future.

Current
Justin Kresevic (RS Jr), Matt Fee (RS Jr), Micah Jordan (RS Fr), JP Newton (RS Fr), Anthony DeCarlo (RS Fr), Jake Ryan (RS Fr), Cody Burcher (RS Fr)
Another weight in flux right now. Based on the current roster, Micah would be the starter here next year. If Micah ends up at 149 (and Hunter at 141), then I think Ryan/Burcher/Newton wrestle off here.

Recruiting
Unless Micah intends to be here for the next 4 years, this is a weight, like 133, where you target superstars only. There is depth, but Ryan and Burcher are not the kind of guys you choose not to recruit over. Lacure and Moore look like good targets in the junior class from Ohio.

Current
Bo Jordan (RS So), Craig Thomas (RS Sr), Dominic Prezzia (RS So), Robbie Rogers (RS So), Ryan Harris (RS Fr), Seth Williams (RS Fr)
I think Bo stays here next year, and I think he’s in the finals. If Bo is here for 3 more years, you are done until the 2017 class.

Recruiting
If Bo is here for his career, then you are looking at the 2017 class. I would take either of Lawson or Romero (or both). If Bo is going up, then you are looking at the junior class, and unless you can flop Marinelli, then there’s not much in Ohio.

Current
Mark Martin (Sr), Matt O’Hara (RS Sr), Jack Rozema (RS So), Myles Martin (Fr), Ryan Harris (RS Fr), Seth Williams (RS Fr)
Truthfully, I’m not sure either Martin will be at this weight next year. Mark looked great at the B1G tourney, and then had a tough first round match that doomed his NCAA tournament. The weight clears out some next year, but will always be tough. If this is where Myles projects then the weight is set for the next 5 years. If Bo isn’t moving up and Myles isn’t a 174 then…

Recruiting
Mark Hall. Go get Mark Hall. Get Mark Hall even if Myles can make 174, because you can never have too many studs. Harris and Williams are good, but you recruit over them if you can.

Current
Kenny Courts (RS Sr), Kyle Riley-Hawkins (RS Sr), Jacob Bresciani (RS Jr), Josh Fox (RS Jr), Myles Martin (Fr), Kollin Moore (Fr)
This weight looks to be Courts’ next year and then either Martin or Moore take over. Or Martin goes 174, Hall is here and Moore goes up to 197.

Recruiting
Martin is a stud, as is Moore. This weight is set for 4-5 years.

Current
Kyle Snyder (So)
Well, I think the weight is in good hands for the next three years, unless Snyder takes and Olympic RS next year. However, if he does that, then maybe Courts and/or Martin bump up and fill for 1 year, with Myles Martin or Kollin Moore filling in.

Recruiting
You are looking at the 2017 class at this weight, and not many sophs are making waves at the upper weights. Campbell would be the best bet right now.

Current
Nick Tavanello (RS Jr), Thomas Haines (RS Fr)
With Haines being injured and missing the entire season, you can’t be sure what to expect. I hope he can wrestle some this summer. If Tavanello is healthy I think that gives the Bucks two good options for the next 4 years.

Recruiting
Kevin Vough. Get him and HW is set for the next 7 years.

Overall
This is a lineup that can challenge for a national title next year, and each year for the foreseeable future. If the Bucks land Hall, Lee and Vough, Tom Ryan may get his own statue!

Matt Schein added to this discussion on April 21, 2015

has Mark Hall given any indication on where he intends to wrestle next year?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 21, 2015

Fun to speculate. Under Ryan, Bucks have nabbed their share of studs. Suriano--lt wt from Ny/Nj--may also be on their radar. Not positive but thought I read/heard that White is not the best student. Apologize in advance if I'm incorrect.

Honestly, for Bucks to repeat the Isaac Jordan rumors would have to be true.

If Bo Jordan were to move up (just speculation), 165 would be a big problem unless someone like Ryan Harris can step up and really perform. Cody Burcher appears to be growing like a weed.

Bucks recruiting class is likely set but it will be interesting to see who pops up on the roster next fall. There are usually a few surprises and perhaps an NCAA title can attract someone special? Bucks really need a backup 125. Right now, they're just not competitive if Tomasello needs time off.

My guess at next year's lineup:

125: Tomasello
133: JDJ
141: Hayes
149: Jake Ryan then Hunter
157: Micah
165: BoJo
174: Ryan Harris (Ma.Martin redshirts)
184: Courts
197: Snyder
285: Haines

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 21, 2015

Quote from Matt Schein's post:

"has Mark Hall given any indication on where he intends to wrestle next year?"

Yes. He will be at Apple Valley High School in Minnesota.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 21, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Matt Schein's post:

"has Mark Hall given any indication on where he intends to wrestle next year?"

Yes. He will be at Apple Valley High School in Minnesota."

ZING!!!

ps:

141: Hunter Stieber
149: Jake Ryan
157: Micah Jordan

That's just my guess.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on April 21, 2015

Speaking of Isaac Jordan, has anyone heard anymore about him transferring?

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 21, 2015

Kevin Vough is going to be a great talent and hopefully Burnett sends another stud to the scarlet and grey. He will be ranked number one or two going into his junior year! Heavyweight has been a little bit of a concern over the last few years. Tavanello did have a good run his frosh year, but not sure he can repeat that again. Just too undersized for heavy. Haines could still be special, we will found out shortly.
Kaleb Romero if concentrated strictly on wrestling would be way better than the version we see now(and that version is still really good) He plays three different sports and I think his upside will be tremendous.
The buckeyes would have to be the favorites to land Jordan and Demas also. Cant imagine where else they would go.
Mark Hall has named four officials Tosu, wisky, Minnesota, ok state. Would be a huge pull if we could get him out of Minnesota. Being in top four is still great news.
Spencer Lee working out and tweeting with Logan has to be good news but it is going to be extremely tough to pull him out of Pennsylvania. Cael will have homecourt advantage. Has anyone heard his college favorites.
David carr is another one I would love to see be a buckeye. His dad is an Olympian and has roots to Iowa State. His other son I believe wrestles there now. I believe his father is also a preacher so that could definitely help as Tom Ryan is very spiritual.
Isaih White I am almost certain I read was a die hard buckeye fan. Someone said his grades weren't that good however. Wish I knew more about him
Bonus Isaac Jordan....probably just a rumor but would welcome him with open arms. I need someone with inside info on this as I cant see Wisconsin releasing him
Double Bonus.. Joey Davis wants to prove he belongs in division one to go with the big boys..probably another long shot. It would be awesome to let martin redshirt because I think his days are done at 174 and let davis slide in a weight class that most of the top guys are gone. That way we let Kenny wrestle his senior year and Martin fills in after.
ALL in all buckeyes future looking really great!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 21, 2015

no doubt about it, the kid ohio st wants along with Mark Hall

senior 120 Nick Suriano - Bergen Catholic, NJ

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on April 21, 2015

Don't know why but I thought Suriano was committed to Penn State. Hopefully they can snag him.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 21, 2015

btw, havent seen it mentioned but ohio st champ team starters, 8 of 10 from ohio, historically an unusually high number from the champ home state.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on April 22, 2015

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"btw, havent seen it mentioned but ohio st champ team starters, 8 of 10 from ohio, historically an unusually high number from the champ home state."

Well, Tom Ryan said he was going to put a fence around Ohio. There's too much talent in Ohio to let it go without a fight and I think he's done a very good job of keeping those talented wrestlers in-state while grabbing some blue chippers out of state.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 22, 2015

There's no fence around Ohio....or PA. Ohio produced 12 AA's (I think). Three from Ohio State. The rest competed for colleges outside Ohio. Virginia Tech, Virginia, Wiscy, Okie State all had Ohio guys doing a nice job for them.

Ryan has done a good job nabbing best of best. The Stiebers, Tomasello, BoJo, Micah. That's all you can ask.

I'd like to see more talent choose Kent, OU and CSU.

OU came within a few eyelashes of adding a couple more Ohio AA's. Tywan Claxton--come see me for a sandwich when you come back to Cleve.

Cael is not nabbing every single PA stud. But the ones he really wants, he gets.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 22, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"There's no fence around Ohio....or PA. Ohio produced 12 AA's (I think).

OU came within a few eyelashes of adding a couple more Ohio AA's. Tywan Claxton--come see me for a sandwich when you come back to Cleve."

ohio had 11, PA 13-- which was an "underperformance" imo by ohio considering that before NCAA tourn i thought ohio would have more than PA actually. And on paper looked that way but despite 11 being a high number i could envision 14, 15 or so but a handful of well seeded ohio guys didnt make it incl: Thomussiet a 2 seed, Abounader Big Ten champ, DiJulius, Demas, Harger, Walters.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 22, 2015

Bob: Do you think Ohio State wants both Suriano and Lee?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next