Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Wrestling Lag Time Topic: Famous (or Infamous) People
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 17, 2015

Wrestlers don't count; all other famous athletes accepted.

I've stood within 30 yards of Presidents Clinton, Bush (W.), and Obama...and Gary Sandy of WKRP Cincinnati visited me in the hospital when I was a child.

And I've danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight (but suspect I'm not the only one).

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on April 17, 2015

Neil Armstrong shook my hand at my Eagle Scout ceremony. That was the year after he had landed on the moon.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on April 17, 2015

I saw Ali fight Wepner at the Coliseum when I was a senior in hich school. James Brown sang the anthem. I was too late for the $15 tickets but lucky to have enough money for the $25 tickets for me and my date.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 17, 2015

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"I saw Ali fight Wepner at the Coliseum when I was a senior in hich school. James Brown sang the anthem. I was too late for the $15 tickets but lucky to have enough money for the $25 tickets for me and my date."

Epic.

Did you watch the ESPN 30:30 titled "The Real Rocky" about Wepner?

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 17, 2015

In '81 or '82 I had the chance to meet Eddy Merckx. It won't mean much to most of you (except maybe Rex) but he is generally acknowledged as the greatest cyclist of all time.
I felt at the time, and still do to this day, that it was like meeting the Pope.
Talked with Lance Armstrong a few times but, with the developments of the last few years, not such a big deal.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 17, 2015

On a Special trip (was 1 of 2 feom my school selected to go -- joining others HS students from around the nation) to Washington DC during my Junior year, my classmate and I got to meet President Nixon.

Also while working at Kamp Kanakuk (see Nickname thread), I met Barbara Mandrell and ran into, literally, Payne Stewart.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on April 17, 2015

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"In '81 or '82 I had the chance to meet Eddy Merckx. It won't mean much to most of you (except maybe Rex) but he is generally acknowledged as the greatest cyclist of all time.
I felt at the time, and still do to this day, that it was like meeting the Pope.
Talked with Lance Armstrong a few times but, with the developments of the last few years, not such a big deal."

Very cool about Merckx. Five tours, plus a boatload of classics. I agree about him being the greatest.

I saw Lance Armstrong speak in front of the OSU Med Center back in 2008 for Livestrong Day. I brought my buddy Leon, who was once an avid cyclist, and who was wheelchair bound and dying of cancer. I parked Leon up with the other wheelchairs- including a number of children- along the restraining fence.

After Armstrong spoke, he walked right by us without ever even glancing in our direction. All he had to do was wave to or high-five a couple of the kids.

Nothing. Straight back to the car.

Leon died several weeks later.

The only support I'll give Lance Armstrong is he was a great competitor, and that he was responsible for Livestrong.

I don't care a hoot about the drug thing, because most great cyclists- including Merckx- got nabbed for drug usage during their careers.

If Lance hadn't been such a vindictive bastard, he might have survived the drug accusations. He made lifelong enemies. It got him in the end.

Jim, did you ever see the movie, "American Flyers?" Merckx has a five second role in that movie as a starter, and it was probably footage from some other event.

Also, did you read the book, "Road to Valor," about the life of Gino Bartali and his efforts to help people during WWII? Excellent book.

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"Neil Armstrong shook my hand at my Eagle Scout ceremony. That was the year after he had landed on the moon."

That is awesome. I have a nephew who is the final stages of getting his Eagle Scout award. So much work, but he'll never regret it when he finishes.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on April 17, 2015

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"I saw Ali fight Wepner at the Coliseum when I was a senior in hich school. James Brown sang the anthem. I was too late for the $15 tickets but lucky to have enough money for the $25 tickets for me and my date."

Epic.

Did you watch the ESPN 30:30 titled "The Real Rocky" about Wepner?"

I did see that show, very interesting stuff.

Kim Lance added to this discussion on April 17, 2015

While in college, I once served as a body guard to Donnie Iris and Doc Severinsen - showing my age here.....

Quote from Kim Lance's post:

"While in college, I once served as a body guard to Donnie Iris and Doc Severinsen - showing my age here....."

Based on your post, I looked up some video of Doc. He recently played the Tonight Show theme with The Roots on Jimmy Fallon's show. Can't find any video, though.

Doc is apparently still touring at 87 years old. I won't be able to lift a trumpet at 87, let alone play one.

Missed those nights watching Johnny, Ed and Doc. That was the best in late night television for me.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 18, 2015

Famous: probably Bush 43 before he was 43 (I think 1999)

Infamous: Dahmer. I was prosecting a criminal case when he was brought back to plead guilty to killing a Bath kid (his first victim) in another courtroom. They shut down the courthouse but we could stay. He walked right by us in cuffs on the way back to the pokey.

Looked like the guy next door.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 18, 2015

I have talked to, quite possibly, the greatest international produce logistical mind in the world - Tommy Rowlands.

I shook Buckeye basketball star Jim Jackson's hand at the City Center Mall. I do believe I ran into (not literally) Eddie George there as well.

I'm sure I've met other widely known individuals, but those are the first few that came to mind.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 18, 2015

http://www.misterbrisket.com/%E2%80%9Ctell-it-like-it-is%E2%80%9D/

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 18, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"http://www.misterbrisket.com/%E2%80%9Ctell-it-like-it-is%E2%80%9D/"

I'm taken aback that Mr. Brisket has a blog!

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next