Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: CSU Wrestling Restored!
Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on April 15, 2015

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2015/04/cleveland_state_wrestling_team_1.html

This is a testament to the leadership of the coaching staff, the resolve and drive of the wrestlers, and the overwhelming support from the wrestling community.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on April 15, 2015

This is fantastic news! Congrats to CSU wrestling, NEOhio wrestling, and the entire wrestling community. A special thanks goes out to the student body as well. Their support cannot be understated.

I vow, right here, to attend at least two home meets next season to show my support.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on April 15, 2015

Ohio State has begun selling season tickets for next year's wrestling.

Are they available for Cleveland State's upcoming season?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 16, 2015

Step One: Keep the program. Congrats to the many whose hard work convinced the administration not to proceed with the defunding.

The Cleveland area has the strongest wrestling tradition in the state. In fact, there might not be a single city in the nation with a richer wrestling history. This move is important for wrestling both locally and nationally.

Now--what can be done to further strengthen the program? Obviously, money. Let's raise some.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 16, 2015

Hank: I'm glad I read the rest of these comments prior to just doing what I had intended - which was starting a new thread entitled "Striking While the Iron is Hot - What next for CSU Wrestling"

Currently, CSU has more national and local attention at this point than they quite possibly have had in some time. What can they do as a team in order to maximize this attention.

I know Sunday nights have become a staple for a good number of wrestlers in the area. Are there any other things they can do in order to elevate their status moving forward? ie recruiting, promotion, etc.

Shel Harper added to this discussion on April 16, 2015

Great news. . .hard to imagine Cleveland State without a wrestling team, the team that overflowed Woodling gym (maybe 3,000 fans?) when Gable brought freshmen Jim Heffernan & company to town in the 80s.
As I recall, Heffernan won his match 8-3, but that could be way off, and I don't remember his opponent. Anyone?

To help the new CSU impetus, I'll put $100 where my mouth is. I hope we get a fundraising address.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on April 16, 2015

For starters....

I'd like to buy season tickets now, and have others join in making a "run" on them.

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on April 16, 2015

Thanks for all the support folks.

Let me give the coaching staff a day or two to stabilize the program, talk their current recruits off the ledge, etc and then I will talk to them directly about season tickets, how fundraising will continue and where it should be directed, and how we can help him capitalize on the national media in regard to promotion and growing the program.

If y'all have particular ideas, share them here and I will share them with them.

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on April 23, 2015

Just wanted to give my promised update. A couple tidbits....

I contacted our director of ticketing and fan development about season tickets. I know many of you had asked about that. She had already been contacted by someone from Oregon no less who wanted to purchase season tickets to help the program even though they obviously wouldn't be coming to any matches. I was impressed with her straightforwardness. She essentially told me that although season tickets are an option, from a "supporting wrestling standpoint" it would be better to donate straight to CSU wrestling. This can be done through the same wrestlers in business funding page that was started with the initial objective of saving the program. Every dollar that was raised to save the program is still going directly to Cleveland State wrestling to help grow the program.

Tickets are only 8 dollars at the door, btw. There will be one exception to that next year where a premium price will be charged due to the opponent who is coming to wrestle us at Woodling Gym.....but I won't let that cat fully out of the bag until it is finalized.

Something else to think about....despite what just happened, Cleveland State wrestling is now extremely safe. Although it should have been for lacrosse in the first place, the student fee increase was solely and completely for wrestling. I am told that money cannot be used for anything else.

One way y'all can directly support our program is by encouraging people to attend our summer camps. Check out the website for more information: http://www.clevelandstatewrestlingcamps.com/

More to come.

Last edited by Brandon Sommers on April 23, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on April 23, 2015

I know I am counter-cultural for someone from my generation...but I am not on the "twitter." Can someone find the tweet where Cradle Gear pledged that they would provide all of our gear if our program was saved?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 23, 2015

Brian Roddy retweeted
Cradle Gear USA @CradleGearUSA ยท Mar 30
@SaveCsu @ptoc134 @USAWrestling_OH @CradleGearUSA will donate all the apparel next season if it helps save the program @USAWrestling

Here is the link to the entire conversation.

https://twitter.com/CradleGearUSA/status/582685030641725440

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 24, 2015

I just retweeted with comment.

David Rourke added to this discussion on May 5, 2015

Great article in Plain Dealer about Jim Jordan, CSU & other non-revenue sports.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2015/05/rep_jim_jordan_wants_hearings.html

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 6, 2015

Congress?

► Add to the Discussion