Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Discussion Topic: Cleveland State will no longer fund wrestling - 2016
Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on April 3, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Any chance someone at Akron U takes notice of the CSU situation and starts to initiate Akron wrestling at the D-I NCAA level? It's only 20 less minutes from KSU. Maybe 15 minutes."

AS great as it would be to see Akron start a D-I program, maybe the question that should be asked is are we doing enough as a community to support KSU wrestling? Akron and Kent are in such close proximity to one another that we should insure that Kent is properly supported first.

This may sound silly at first read, but we should be asking these questions regarding our more beloved and successful programs. Coach Andrassy has done remarkable work at Kent State. We should reach out to him and see if there is any thing that we can do to help the program. Otherwise, we become complacent as a community and let things fall by the wayside, case-in-point Cleveland State wrestling.

It is my understanding that the athletic department is supportive of Kent State wrestling. I really hope that is the case. Let's just make sure that we take care of what we have first, and then proceed forward in attempting to resurrect former programs such as Akron.

We, obviously, have our hands full with the Cleveland State situation. Bob P. is on point with his assessment. This will take an organized approach most appropriately led by a successful businessman or community leader with pull and $$$$. Even then, the CSU wrestling program is looking at an uphill battle.

Troubling times indeed for the NEOhio wrestling community and wrestling in general.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 3, 2015

CSU Wrestling Referendum could decide fate of program. Learn more ...

http://csuohio.orgsync.com/org/boardofelections/referendum

Reading this article it sounds like they need to add a women's sport to keep wrestling but I thought I read they currently have 9 sports for women and 7 for men?

Steve Lester added to this discussion on April 3, 2015

Hard to imagine a majority of students voting to raise their fees to rescue any sport. I hope the fate of the program does not rest on that.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 3, 2015

Quote from Brad Proudfoot's post:

" We, obviously, have our hands full with the Cleveland State situation. Bob P. is on point with his assessment. This will take an organized approach most appropriately led by a successful businessman or community leader with pull and $$$$. "

imo, the issue is mostly TERMS, not so much the fundraising, because $5 million is obviously a fools errand, theres no trying to raise that. And who would pay that much for the current CSU program anyway?

so Terms are what must be negotiated with the CSU Admin, reasonble, reachable terms-- thats where a "CEO" type comes in.

(btw, the way i read it another womens sport only need be started if CSU has BOTH lacrosse & wreslting-- if lacrosse not started and wrestling stays then no new womens sport needed.) ..s/BobP

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 3, 2015

One problem for CSU is the amount of population lost in the immediate and surrounding area over the 40 years.

One dollar from each person would go a long way. $10 from each would go 10x the amount.

Sean Koran added to this discussion on April 4, 2015

Again, this is ridiculous.

The referendum vote should be: "Do you want to pay extra to have a men's lacrosse team and another women's team?" NOT do you want to pay more to keep the wrestling program we already have while we add a lacrosse team because that's the sport the AD used to play and the AD's wife coaches.

Miami of Ohio is the type of school that should consider adding a lacrosse team, not CSU, and ESPECIALLY not at the expense of its wrestling program (or any other active sport for that matter).

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on April 4, 2015

The athletic director for varying reasons had convinced the administration of the value of adding a lacrosse team (see the situation at Lake Erie College for a similar case). The plan in place to do it was through a student (activity) fee that would add lacrosse and the female sport.

However, that failed.

Since it failed, the athletic director and administration decided to add the lacrosse team anyway. But given Title IX constraints, they had to cut a mens' sport to keep the athlete proportions compliant between the genders. Given the roster headcount of wrestling, that was the spot which got cut (golf & tennis from the offerings were non-starters due to being small headcount sports).

Now to save the program, it either comes down to extorting students or extorting donors. It's certainly unfortunate, but that's where we are at.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on April 6, 2015

Quote from Brad Proudfoot's post:

"

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Any chance someone at Akron U takes notice of the CSU situation and starts to initiate Akron wrestling at the D-I NCAA level? It's only 20 less minutes from KSU. Maybe 15 minutes."

AS great as it would be to see Akron start a D-I program, maybe the question that should be asked is are we doing enough as a community to support KSU wrestling? Akron and Kent are in such close proximity to one another that we should insure that Kent is properly supported first.

This may sound silly at first read, but we should be asking these questions regarding our more beloved and successful programs. Coach Andrassy has done remarkable work at Kent State. We should reach out to him and see if there is any thing that we can do to help the program. Otherwise, we become complacent as a community and let things fall by the wayside, case-in-point Cleveland State wrestling.

It is my understanding that the athletic department is supportive of Kent State wrestling. I really hope that is the case. Let's just make sure that we take care of what we have first, and then proceed forward in attempting to resurrect former programs such as Akron.

We, obviously, have our hands full with the Cleveland State situation. Bob P. is on point with his assessment. This will take an organized approach most appropriately led by a successful businessman or community leader with pull and $$$$. Even then, the CSU wrestling program is looking at an uphill battle.

Troubling times indeed for the NEOhio wrestling community and wrestling in general."

Mark, last year I helped some students at Akron start an NCWA team, and we just completed our first season. As much as I'd love to make it an NCAA DI team, the University isn't going to support that anytime soon. The university barely acknowledges the thousands of hours and thousands of dollars that myself and the wrestlers put in this year, or the fact that we had 7 national qualifiers and finished 37th in the country in our first season. If a varsity team is ever added, it probably wouldn't be for several more years. Nevertheless, I agree with Brad's points, but I stand behind all of the programs that we have here in NEO, including CSU, KSU, and Akron.

Side Notes:

The University of Akron currently has 8 men's sports and 10 women's sports, but their website (http://www.uakron.edu/about_ua/quick_facts.dot) seems to indicate that the student body is 53% male? I've been familiar with Title IX for a while, but this seems to contradict the rule - maybe someone can help me understand this? My alma mater had a 70% male student body, yet there were 11 men's sports and 10 women's sports, which never seemed proportionate to me.

Last but not least, the club sports director at Akron apparently had no idea that the FILA Cadet and University Nationals that they host each year in the fieldhouse was such a high level tournament. He thought that it was just a big "clinic or something" each year...

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I don't really know why Akron thinks it's so important to have a men's and women's varsity rifle team when very few of the students on the roster are actually from Ohio.

Last edited by Jeff Streu on April 6, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on April 6, 2015

Jeff:
I'm no Title IX expert.
But I don't believe the # of sports is of critical (any?) import; rather, it's the # of opportunities and the $$ spent, which are supposed to be grossly proportionate to the student body.
So if your student body is 50-50, then you need to have roughly the same # of opportunities for women as men, and be spending roughly the same amount of money on each, or at least making strides toward that end, so as to be in compliance.
At least that's my understanding.
And football - the most popular, revenue-producing sport - makes proportionality very difficult to achieve, since it digs an 85 (or thereabouts) to nothing hole.

Edit:

Here's a link to the NCAA's website re Title IX compliance:

http://www.NCAA.org/about/resources/inclusion/title-ix-frequently-asked-questions

In most pertinent part:

Q. How does an institution comply with Title IX?

An institution must meet all of the following requirements in order to be in compliance with Title IX:
1.For participation requirements, institutions officials must meet one of the following three tests. An institution may: 1.Provide participation opportunities for women and men that are substantially proportionate to their respective rates of enrollment of full-time undergraduate students;
2.Demonstrate a history and continuing practice of program expansion for the underrepresented sex;
3.Fully and effectively accommodate the interests and abilities of the underrepresented sex; and,

2.Female and male student-athletes must receive athletics scholarship dollars proportional to their participation; and,
3.Equal treatment of female and male student-athletes in the eleven provisions as mentioned above.

Last edited by Casey Talbott on April 6, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 6, 2015

Quote from Casey Talbott's post:

" And football - the most popular, revenue-producing sport - makes proportionality very difficult to achieve, since it digs an 85 (or thereabouts) to nothing hole."

wait till they start to pay a xtra stipend to these 55 of the 85 who just ride the pine, then therell be no non-rev mens sports. --burns me up, i hear it "debated" on TV and the guys debating it, usually are all for it, have no idea of the disastrous unintended consequences.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on April 10, 2015

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"Hard to imagine a majority of students voting to raise their fees to rescue any sport. I hope the fate of the program does not rest on that."

Just sat down with the computer this evening and was ELECTRIFIED to see that (apparently) a majority of the students, who voted, approved of a fee increase for wrestling.

And the scales tip some more. Let's keep it going.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4