Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Cleveland State will no longer fund wrestling - 2016
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FnO3igOkOk

The CSU AD is saying by cuting that he has lost faith in the program. i expressed fear this could happen for years, as long-time readers on this forum know.

fact is coach DICK BONACCI who had MUCH LESS FUNDING & resources had much more success-- over 36 years Bonacci built program to considerable respectabilty. Ask anyone who was around in the 70s & 80s here. He started program in 1962 from nothing. ......Bonacci bought the NCAA championships here in 1998 for Cleveland St, yes Dick Bonacci.

coach Jack Effner had some success until he ran afoul with wrestlers who screwed up off the mat. Coach Stehura- the bio said 5 but coach Stehura has been head coach 7 years, since August 2008. That is a fair amount of time to get things done.

now i hope Wrestlers in Business can salvage something, they are pros, successful men, its up to them, but very sad -and often futile- trying to get back what u once had after its gone.

AND i would urge those who take the lead to get in touch with CSU alumns, guys like Tony digiovanni to get the scoop about whats needed now. From what i was told they were ignored by the previous AD 7 years ago when the job was last open. ...s/BobP

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

Yes, Bob, you've sounded the alarm for a long time and you were correct.

My wife just mentioned to me how she heard the program was being de-financed. "why get rid of wrestling?" she said. "isn't this Cleveland...isn't this a sport we're really good at in Ohio?"

I was so happy that she understood how stupid this is.

Now, we have to convince the media, the city leaders and the CSU administration.

Ben Stehura added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

Wrestlers in Business Network are spearheading the effort to raise funds to save the program. Here is a link to the site to donate.

https://www.crowdrise.com/savecsuwrestling to save the program.

I want to thank everyone for their support and encourage you to donate and help by spreading this link and the message within your own social network.

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on April 1, 2015

I have an issue with people paying into a fundraiser. What is essentially happening is you are paying a ransom to the school. The more times this happens and people run in and pay what it shows is wrestling is willing to pay ransoms. It will become a more common occurrence as the expectation will be the community will step in and pay it.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 1, 2015

Quote from Tony Bradberry's post:

"I have an issue with people paying into a fundraiser. What is essentially happening is you are paying a ransom to the school. The more times this happens and people run in and pay what it shows is wrestling is willing to pay ransoms. It will become a more common occurrence as the expectation will be the community will step in and pay it."

I agree. I ultimately think that while 800K might be "do-able", 5 mill is a pipe dream...and CSU knows it. This battle has to be won in the court of public opinion and in the media. If CSU admin. gets punched hard enough in the face, they'll back down.

Matt Hall--very good letter. thanks for sharing.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 1, 2015

those who care about CSU wrestling need one big man or woman, one powerful person, one influential person who cares alot to step forward now to steer this campaign.

Witness a few other programs that were saved, it took one person to get things organized and moving- Binghampton U i think Billy Baldwin was spearheading it- Bucknell U was saved too by one rich man though i forget the details.

the money and effort are too huge for average folks to try to put together a campaign. To meet with and NEGOTIATE with CSU Admin we need a MAN or WOMAN with motivation, means, vision and determination. Who is it, if anyone??

if that person exists he/she must step forward now, and then he/she can utilize the resources that do exist: Wrestlers in Business, CSU wrestling alumns, NWCA, et all.

i'm thinking the person is self-made, a leader, a person use to dealing with power, probably an ex-CSU wrestler himself.

"One man with courage makes a majority.” Andrew Jackson, 7th U.S. President & War of 1812 hero.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 1, 2015

Why can't lacrosse be the team that must raise $800,000 and gain a $5M endowment in order to start the program???

I do not think that this is an unfair question. Somebody wants lacrosse at CSU. Prove that there is a market for it by raising the funds. When the funds are in hand, BAM! the new CSU Vikings program is unleashed!

Best of luck to the new squad, too!

So simple. Some common sense-ical. Whatevs.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 1, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Why can't lacrosse be the team that must raise $800,000 and gain a $5M endowment in order to start the program???

I do not think that this is an unfair question. Somebody wants lacrosse at CSU. Prove that there is a market for it by raising the funds. When the funds are in hand, BAM! the new CSU Vikings program is unleashed!

So simple. Some common sense-ical. Whatevs."

This is EXACTLY what was suggested to me this morning by one of the more esteemed people on my email list.
It just makes so much sense that I must be missing something!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 1, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Why can't lacrosse be the team that must raise $800,000 and gain a $5M endowment in order to start the program???

So simple. Some common sense-ical. Whatevs."

agree 100%. And that's the point that needs to be made to the public and the media.

Also agree with Bob. Someone in NE Ohio with stature needs to come to the fore and lead the fight.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 1, 2015

yes "someone with stature needed to lead the fight", an Executive type individual, decison-maker, organizer -- --

someone who can NEGOTIATE because these term are Not doable-- $5 million, r u kidding? - reasonable terms must be negotiated with the CSU Admin by an exec type businessman representing the wrestling community.

and if reasonable terms are achieved everything about CSU wrestling needs to be re-examined & re-opened. It would be a New Era, a start over.

a committee made up of respected former CSU wrestlers and coach Bonacci needs to select the head coach this time, not the AD like last time. (maybe it will again be coach Stehura, thats fine by me if thats how it works out, but it has to be re-opened.) ....s/BobP

David Rourke added to this discussion on April 1, 2015

Jim Jordan comes to mind as a person with connections. I know he's busy dealing with all of the crap in DC, but wrestling is his core. Also I recall reading a few years back that the Hurley's from ST V were close with Lebron... That might be a stretch, but as the saying goes "desperate times require desperate measures!" Does anyone know if any current Browns players have a wrestling background? That's a possible face to the cause... Isn't the CEO of Sherwin-Williams, which is a Cleveland based company, a former wrestler?

William Danforth added to this discussion on April 1, 2015

Cleveland State Athletic Director John Parry talks about the future discontinuation of wrestling.

http://www.mattalkonline.com/podcast/short-time/st156-cleveland-state-athletic-director-john-parry-talks-about-the-future-discontinuation-of-wrestling/

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 2, 2015

Quote from William Danforth's post:

"Cleveland State Athletic Director John Parry talks about the future discontinuation of wrestling.

http://www.mattalkonline.com/podcast/short-time/st156-cleveland-state-athletic-director-john-parry-talks-about-the-future-discontinuation-of-wrestling/"

I just listened to the interview and besides "dancing" around questions, he actually uses erroneous data to bolster his view.
He should have been a politician!

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 2, 2015

What conference would Lacrosse play in because there isn't one team in the Horizon league that offers lacrosse.

Outside of OSU is there another DI school that offers mens Lacrosse in OH?

I know Lake Erie college offers it and several schools in the OAC but as far as I can tell that is it and those schools are all private schools

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 3, 2015

Any chance someone at Akron U takes notice of the CSU situation and starts to initiate Akron wrestling at the D-I NCAA level? It's only 20 less minutes from KSU. Maybe 15 minutes.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next