Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Cleveland State will no longer fund wrestling - 2016
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/03/cleveland_state_university_will_no_longer_fund_wrestling_but_will_add_lacrosse.html#incart_river

Would prefer to offer varsity lacrosse.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

I'm really not sure what to say to this.

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/03/cleveland_state_university_will_no_longer_fund_wrestling_but_will_add_lacrosse.html#incart_river

Would prefer to offer varsity lacrosse."

Who would have guessed the AD who was a former lacrosse coach and member of the NCAA committee on lacrosse would choose to fund Lacrosse over wrestling.....

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

I think it's funny everyone wants to point to lacrosse's growth rate. Girls and boys combined they are almost 100k less people playing lacrosse then wrestling alone in high school.At their "record" growth rate it would take them almost 10 years to have the same amount of participants as high school wrestling and that is between both genders.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

I wrote to Coach Stehura, to confirm, before sending it out to my guys.
Here is what he sent to me.
More info as I get it.

yes
We need $800,000 by March 31 of next year to continue for 2 years after.
Then in 3 years time we need $5 Million to endow the program at that time.

Ben Stehura
Head Wrestling Coach

Only Charles Costilow could be happy with this announcement. He's most likely away from his computer right now, handling his Nike-headed lacrosse stick. ;-)

Jim: Jason Bryant has a nice write-up on the matter. I read it via twitter (linked).

The fact that CSU wrestling would have to raise that much is amazing to me. Especially in light of what I assume the lacrosse team will cost.

Coach, I hope you are able to find a way to get your program back. If not, I hope you are able to apply the very lessons this sport teaches concerning adversity and what to do with it. I wish you, and your wrestlers, all the best.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

Tony: your frustration is shared by everyone here. But many articles have been written over the last few years noting the increase in college lacrosse with the primary goal being student recruitment. When I played in the 80s there were four HS teams in Ohio. There are now at least two divisions throughout the state that name state champs. The growth has been exponential.

In my opinion the shame is dropping a team when adding another team because a third team has to be added for gender equity, especially when there are other -- albeit difficult -- ways to "accommodate" Title IX.

At the very least give CSU a few years' "grace" period to accommodate Title IX after adding a men's team. Instead the school just punishes dedicated student-athletes and coaches.

Hopefully a sugar daddy will come forward to fund it.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

I so wish I had the means to be an anonymous philanthropist.

I would wage guerrilla warfare all of my days to ensure that wrestling received every last angle, resource, benefit, and notoriety.

BONACCI, RICHARD
R.BONACCI@csuohio.edu

SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO ATHLETIC DIRECTORPREE'-CHAMBERS, AIMEE
A.DUPREECHAMBERS@csuohio.edu
(216) 687-4539

ASST ATHLETIC DIRECTOR FOR MORTON, GEORGE
G.MORTON@csuohio.edu

SPECIAL ASST TO ATHLETICS TONTIMONIA, THOMAS L
T.TONTIMONIA@csuohio.edu

Saw this on Yappi.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

I'm so pissed I can barely speak.

CSU has set wrestling up to fail for years by not taking the right steps. They underfund the program. Then, when Coach Stehura finally shows progress (credit to him because the cirumstances have been difficult) they announce the program is going to have it's funding cut.

The money can be raised but it's a bullshit move by a chicken shit AD who has NO IDEA THAT NE OHIO IS HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING COUNTRY--NOT BASKETBALL COUNTRY and NOT LACROSSE COUNTRY.

This is going to be a fight. I am ready to be a part of it.

Last edited by Hank Kornblut on March 30, 2015; edited 2 times in total

Hank: BOOM!!!!!!! You nailed it. Refuse aid of any sort for years, but moreover, provide road blocks for progress, and then cite lack of success (or whatever they end up citing) as the problem.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

Given the dynamics in play, I can't say I'm shocked. I'm surprised the program wasn't cut earlier given the lack of funding and prioritization shown.

There is no reason other than the A.D. and/or administration not caring that the wrestling program at Cleveland State is "un-healthy", and quite frankly it's been unhealthy for years.

I think athletics as a whole at Cleveland State isn't exactly healthy. This is a department that cut baseball within the last five years.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

Please forgive my ignorance here but when the NCAA wrestling tournament comes to Cleveland in 2018, will CSU see any of the revenue from that (since the MAC is one of the listed hosts)?

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

I'm still in shell-shock folks. I will provide more information about who to contact and how to fight once I get a chance to talk to Coach Stehura. I'm in a bad position because I still attend the University. I can't get myself in trouble with my Doctoral program.

I was at the meeting 4 years ago when "Athletic Director" Parry informed us that we were safe and baseball would be cut. He told us he believed we were on the verge of breaking through as a program and that we had the department's full support. What a load of you know what that turned out to be. The difference between where our program was then and where it is now is undeniable. And, as Hank indicated, the program progressed despite barrier after barrier from the administration.

CSU's administration messed up. They failed to learn the hard lesson that the Olympic Committee learned last year. You cannot break the spirit of a wrestler. More to come folks.

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

Side note....CSU already had 9 women's sports and only 7 men's sports. Volleyball, Softball, and Cross Country are only female. I don't believe Title 9 has anything to do with this. As I understand it, they could keep wrestling if they were willing to spend the money.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next