Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Wrestling Lag Time Topic: My Hobby/Interest (Outside of Wrestling)
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 28, 2015

I was thinking about somebody posting about fly fishing (P-Camp?) and thought, "That's cool. I wonder what that is about...? Fly fishing sounds interesting -and difficult- but I wonder about the details of how it works from a human source...".

Wrestling is our common thread, but...

What hobby/interest do you have other than wrestling?

I've recently taken up biking. I know it sounds pedestrian (play on words for those at home playing along with us), however, this is the story of my beloved "Ghost Rider":

Last summer I was dropping my son off at his wealthy friend's house in the Heatherwood platt in Springboro. As I rolled out, I looked over and lo and behold on the curb in front of a $500K residence sat the following items:

A "John Deere" customized lawn cart, multiple white shelves (with brackets) from Home Depot (tags still attached), this huge forked metal bicycle ceiling rack, and two RockHopper bicycles.

So I says to myself, "Self, what is $100.00 to you is $10.00 to the purchaser of these discarded items..." Contact was promptly made with the owner who verified that he no longer desired the items at which time I promptly arranged for their removal.

I dialed in a slightly used, diminutive man "height and weight proportionate" black RockHopper brand bicycle, had it tuned up slightly, and have been going out around 0500 hours each morning for a "Ghost Ride" (thus the name) to get my metabolism going and my mind right.

I'm not all gussied up in Sprockets Euro-Flair Wear w/ Matching Aerodynamic Helmet and Gloves Designed by Elon Musk of Tesla Motors" or anything; just a light, helmet, and the ultimate in "Little Man Performance Bicycle Machinery"...which has been a blast.

(I'll save the "Ghost Rider Vs. Deer Battle Royale of '14" story for later).

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Wrestling Lag Time Topic: My Hobby/Interest (Outside of Wrestling)
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 28, 2015

Oh, my! This could get interesting.

Aside from wrestling, I enjoy wrestling and talk about wrestling. If I'm not doing those things, I am watching wrestling. Other than that, I am sure there is wrestling in there somewhere.

Usually during the summer I like to take an annual drive to Taylor Road in Cleveland. Brisket. Mmmmmm...

I play a show (guitar and "sing") from time to time as well. Usually good for about an hour show.

My kids usually keep me busy as well. Speaking of riding, the Mrs and I, along with the kids, went riding on a trail last summer. I hope and assume we'll do that again. Ended the ride in Granville where we were able to grab lunch. Perfect ending to a bike ride.

Working with the youth at church will take me to Alabama and Erie, PA (home of 3rd place Edinboro).

Lastly, I like to garden. Last year I planted asparagus. My mother-in-law had a packet of roots. She handed them to me and said, "Here. Plant these." I'm wise enough to say "Yes ma'am." She then told me what they were so my son and I got busy. We can't harvest until next year, but I love what I saw at the end of last year!

Just before wrestling season begins, I'll plant garlic. A few years back, a buddy of mine handed me about 25 or 30 cloves of some hard-neck (as opposed to soft-neck) garlic. He gave me the instructions and ever since, I've had gobs of garlic. One clove will yield four - or if you're lucky, 5 - cloves. This past November I planted 150 closes. Come mid to late-July, I'll have just over 500 cloves!!! Pick them from the ground, knock off as much dirt as possible, and then hang them in bundles of ten or twelve in my basement. After a few weeks, they are ready to be eaten! One clove a day with breakfast (usually two eggs, scrambled, with cheese) is great!

I'll also plant tomatoes, jalapenos, and usually a plant or two of habaneros. The Mrs would like lettuce, peas, radishes, and a few other things.

If I could swing it (aka "If the Mrs would let me") I would have her drop me of near a river here in town. I would then find a nicely sized tree and hewn out the center - make me a nice dugout canoe. I would end up in Louisiana and buy a plane ticket to Columbus. If that didn't work, I'd like to make a teepee and live in it during the summer months. Hunt, gather, and forage for food.

I'll probably think of some other stuff.

Okay, I guess I'll go ahead and share "Ghost Rider vs. Deer Battle Royale of '14":

So I am ghost riding on "Ghost Rider" through an older platt that doesn't have any street lights at Zero Dark Hundred.

I'm moving at a noteworthy clip when my "street sense" goes off and feel something, the peripherally see, a creature moving out toward me from the left at a crushing pace.

I am dead serious when I articulate my initial adrenaline dump thought was, "Is that a werewolf...?" (which is funny since, well, I don't actually believe in the existence of werewolves).

A HUUUUUGGGGGEEEE deer was barreling toward me at a 90 degree angle from out of a yard and my second adrenaline dump thought was, "This is going to hurt really, REALLY bad..."

About 10' from apocalyptic collision, it bounded right at head level.....

and pivoted mid-air and bounded alongside me!

I don't even know how it rotated its body mid-flight; terror and amazement in one fell swoop.

Last edited by Justin Hayes on March 28, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Jim Fox, we're calling you out! : )

Tell us something about submarines.

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Lastly, I like to garden. Last year I planted asparagus. My mother-in-law had a packet of roots. She handed them to me and said, "Here. Plant these." I'm wise enough to say "Yes ma'am." She then told me what they were so my son and I got busy. We can't harvest until next year, but I love what I saw at the end of last year!

Just before wrestling season begins, I'll plant garlic. A few years back, a buddy of mine handed me about 25 or 30 cloves of some hard-neck (as opposed to soft-neck) garlic. He gave me the instructions and ever since, I've had gobs of garlic. One clove will yield four - or if you're lucky, 5 - cloves. This past November I planted 150 closes. Come mid to late-July, I'll have just over 500 cloves!!! Pick them from the ground, knock off as much dirt as possible, and then hang them in bundles of ten or twelve in my basement. After a few weeks, they are ready to be eaten! One clove a day with breakfast (usually two eggs, scrambled, with cheese) is great!

I'll also plant tomatoes, jalapenos, and usually a plant or two of habaneros. The Mrs would like lettuce, peas, radishes, and a few other things."

I have this Wendell Berry vision of learning how to grow things...and owning two (2) "Fainting Goats" that I could scare for the entertainment of my grandchildren (which I don't yet have, but hope to someday).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we9_CdNPuJg

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 28, 2015

One minute and 18 seconds of my life I will never get back! ;-)

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"One minute and 18 seconds of my life I will never get back! ;-)"

Yeah, right.

Act like you wouldn't scare the crap out of your personal "Fainting Goat" every chance you got! : )

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 28, 2015

Funny you bring up bikes.

I have raced bicycles since 1973 and have actually been pretty successful at it.
The nice thing is that the cycling season and wrestling season do not really overlap at all. Depending on the year, I am usually in the range of 5000 to 7000 miles for a year. Finished 4th in the US Senior Games last year and was SO close to third. BTW, 4th sucked!!

Own enough bikes that I haven't counted them so I don't really know what I have. However, I will tell you that you are always able to justify owning N+1 bikes with N being the number of bikes you currently own.

As a side gig I am hooked up with two domestic professional teams who have me transporting their stuff all over the country. Last year I was in California (twice), New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Alberta, Tennessee, Quebec, and several other locations closer to home. Not bad on someone else's dime, huh? They supply me with lots of stuff too.

Keeps me pretty fit and ready for a season on the mat, which does get harder with each year.

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"Funny you bring up bikes.

I have raced bicycles since 1973 and have actually been pretty successful at it.
The nice thing is that the cycling season and wrestling season do not really overlap at all. Depending on the year, I am usually in the range of 5000 to 7000 miles for a year. Finished 4th in the US Senior Games last year and was SO close to third. BTW, 4th sucked!!

Own enough bikes that I haven't counted them so I don't really know what I have. However, I will tell you that you are always able to justify owning N+1 bikes with N being the number of bikes you currently own.

As a side gig I am hooked up with two domestic professional teams who have me transporting their stuff all over the country. Last year I was in California (twice), New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Alberta, Tennessee, Quebec, and several other locations closer to home. Not bad on someone else's dime, huh? They supply me with lots of stuff too.

Keeps me pretty fit and ready for a season on the mat, which does get harder with each year."

Wow!

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 28, 2015

Jim, I enjoyed the post about bike racing. (Actually, I've enjoyed all the posts thus far. May have to plant some garlic, too!)

I used to follow the sport closely, and I had a few friends who raced locally. I rode with some of them, but I never raced.

Bought a Guerciotti steel framed bicycle sometime around the Lemond era. Full Campy super record. Still have it, and it stays in my spare bedroom. Can't chance leaving it in the garage.

As far as my own interests, until 2013 I was an ultra runner, with the goal of running 100 miles. I ran 62 miles (100k) in the Javelina Jundred in 2009, but I started doing math and quit when I realized that I had 38 more miles to go. Bad mistake. Don't do math during ultras.

In 2013 I picked up some brutal R leg sciatica. I went from being a distance runner to being a guy who has to grit his teeth to walk from a building to the parking lot. Tried most everything, excepting surgery. Getting closer to that option, because I lead a pretty compromised life in current form.

I also play the piano, but I don't play out. I used to, a bit. Favorite jazz pianist is Bill Evans. Most jazz-oriented pianists probably have Bill on their list.

Great topic. Keep 'em coming!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 28, 2015

Quote from Doug Brandt's post:

"Jim, I enjoyed the post about bike racing. (Actually, I've enjoyed all the posts thus far. May have to plant some garlic, too!)

I used to follow the sport closely, and I had a few friends who raced locally. I rode with some of them, but I never raced.

Bought a Guerciotti steel framed bicycle sometime around the Lemond era. Full Campy super record. Still have it, and it stays in my spare bedroom. Can't chance leaving it in the garage.

As far as my own interests, until 2013 I was an ultra runner, with the goal of running 100 miles. I ran 62 miles (100k) in the Javelina Jundred in 2009, but I started doing math and quit when I realized that I had 38 more miles to go. Bad mistake. Don't do math during ultras.

In 2013 I picked up some brutal R leg sciatica. I went from being a distance runner to being a guy who has to grit his teeth to walk from a building to the parking lot. Tried most everything, excepting surgery. Getting closer to that option, because I lead a pretty compromised life in current form.

I also play the piano, but I don't play out. I used to, a bit. Favorite jazz pianist is Bill Evans. Most jazz-oriented pianists probably have Bill on their list.

Great topic. Keep 'em coming!"

Art Tatum?

John Ice added to this discussion on March 28, 2015

Love me some baseball. go Tribe!

So maybe you bike guys can give me some insight:

In my travels, I acquired a 10 speed racing tandem (for free) that was fabricated in 1976; it had Italian words on the wheels and part of the frame but I couldn't link it to anything or find anything about it online.

It was beat up pretty good, but was big, rangy, and fast (way too big for a former 103 lber).

I put it on craigslist...and folks went bananas trying to undercut each other to get to it first (my phone blew up).

What was that all about?

Also, I have visions (or delusions) of doing Crossfit someday when my parental responsibilities tamp down...anybody doing it/ever done it?

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 28, 2015

Hank, I have a boxed set of 10 Art Tatum cd's that I got as a gift some years ago, and I also have "The Complete Art Tatum Piano Discoveries" as a double LP. (Paid a lot for that one.)

Art was beyond category. Oscar Peterson, already a very gifted young pianist, was ready to quit the piano after his father put Tatum's "Tiger Rag" on the record player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaPeks0H3_s

Here's Tatum playing on film, with commentary from Ray Charles and Clint Eastwood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=716GbRD--IU

Amazing artist.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 28, 2015

Quote from Doug Brandt's post:

"J

"

Nice old world steel bikes still ride really nice. A buddy of mine still has his Guerciotti from about 1985 or so.
I have two Campy SR bikes but don't ride them much. Are you aware of what that stuff is worth? Take a look on ebay and I bet you will be stunned.
All my stuff lives in the house. Being retired and single allows for that!

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next