Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Ideas to improve college wrestling
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 27, 2015

So Nicola - and his two-man wrecking crew - gets a pass!?!?!?!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Steve Durose added to this discussion on March 27, 2015

I agree with Pat on virtually everything he said. I think the argument basically comes down to those who like and appreciate folkstyle vs. those who don't and want to change it into freestyle.
As far as the sport's popularity or telegenic aspects are concerned, I believe wrestling is the only solely individual sport to have its championships televised nationally by ESPN. I'm sure that college golf, tennis, fencing, etc. would kill to have the popularity and exposure that wrestling currently enjoys. I can't think of anything more dangerous to the sport than changing it to make it more appealing to people who aren't fans of wrestling.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 27, 2015

Quote from Steve Durose's post:

"...

As far as the sport's popularity or telegenic aspects are concerned, I believe wrestling is the only solely individual sport to have its championships televised nationally by ESPN. I'm sure that college golf, tennis, fencing, etc. would kill to have the popularity and exposure that wrestling currently enjoys. I can't think of anything more dangerous to the sport than changing it to make it more appealing to people who aren't fans of wrestling."

It should be noted that the moment ESPN gains the availability for the NCAA Men's basketball championships, we can all kiss this coverage goodbye.

However, I will appreciate it as long as we have it!

Matt Hall added to this discussion on March 27, 2015

Call me old school but I don't want to change much if anything about college wrestling. I loved every minute (exception would be heavy wt. matches) of the big 10s and the NCAAs and judging by the crowds and the atmosphere most everyone else watching would agree.

The only rule I would like to change is the rule that was just added. I hate that the top man gets called for stalling when he is hanging on for dear life while his opponent is kicking to try to get out from bottom. What else can the top many do but hold on?

I think some are trying to change college wrestling to make it TV friendly for the casual sports fan. I don't think that is possible. MMA has a following but MMA has something that would never be allowed in scholastic sports, brutality. Think about hockey. Unless you are an avid hockey fan you probably never watch and if you do you are biding your time until the next fight.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 27, 2015

Hank - I'm with you 100%.

Evolution is key. Action is important.

Riding is a skill, and should be emphasized, but what's wrong with having to get near fall to earn the RT point? That just makes sense to me.

If you ride for a full period and don't turn the person, you still 'win' by not giving up the escape point.

Steve Durose added to this discussion on March 27, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

"...

As far as the sport's popularity or telegenic aspects are concerned, I believe wrestling is the only solely individual sport to have its championships televised nationally by ESPN. I'm sure that college golf, tennis, fencing, etc. would kill to have the popularity and exposure that wrestling currently enjoys. I can't think of anything more dangerous to the sport than changing it to make it more appealing to people who aren't fans of wrestling."

It should be noted that the moment ESPN gains the availability for the NCAA Men's basketball championships, we can all kiss this coverage goodbye.

However, I will appreciate it as long as we have it!"

Mark, I think you're missing the big picture here. Of course the average ESPN viewer isn't going to get excited by Robert Kokesh vs. Mike Evans, but who would want to miss "The Sodbuster vs. Snidely Whiplash"? The Sodbuster's singlet would look like bib overalls and he could have a stalk a wheat dangling from his mouth during introductions. Snidely would wear a tall black top hat and have his moustache curled up at the ends.
If they were to add ropes and turnbuckles to the new nicknames and costumes I can say with confidence that college wrestling's popularity would soar to previously unimaginable heights.

Brandon Gambucci added to this discussion on March 27, 2015

Shorten the season, or make it two separate short seasons (similar to tennis, field hockey, etc). The season is long and brutal. I've seen time and time again how the season just destroys wrestlers, then they're too beaten to be successful come the end of the year, especially with some of the crazy weight guys are pulling. Injuries are all too prevalent.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on March 28, 2015

"

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"The most aggravating for me to watch was the Michigan State upper weight Rizqallah. He'd back up 6 feet and go to hands and knees. Ridiculous."

How'd that work out for him?"

He lost to Courts. I would have been both aggravated AND irritated if he had won.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2