Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: DIII Nationals (Ohio Results and Thoughts)
Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on March 23, 2015

Didn't see any threads on here about the DIII Tournament in Hershey, PA. Shame on me for not starting one sooner. Here is a list of All-Americans from D3wrestle.com... http://www.d3wrestle.com/?p=7849

A few thoughts...

1. Not sure what the average All-American numbers are for Ohio in DIII, but it seems low to me this year.
2. Former Kent State wrestler, Nick Carr, won the title at 157 for Washington and Jefferson.
3. Mount Union had a great season, but probably didn't have the tournament they'd hoped for.
4. I think the Ohio program to watch out for in DIII is Baldwin-Wallace. They had a handful of All-Americans and CVCA alum, Josh Decatur, lost in the blood rd to last year's runner-up (in overtime). Coach Gibbs is putting together a very competitive program.

Also... one of the coolest stories was a family from Wabash (Indiana). They put the three LeFever brothers all in the finals at 157, 174, and 184. Two of them won. It's wild that they're all close enough in age to be on the same team, in the lineup, and good enough to be on the big stage.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 23, 2015

Mike: I did notice that JCU, BW, Mt Union and one other program had AA's.

Sadly, the wrestler we're not discussing is Thad Marcelli from Case. He was a possible D3 title contender but one was of three Spartan wrestlers who died during the fall in a plane crash.

As far as D3 wrestling in Ohio goes, I remain disappointed that it's not better. Part of it may be the archaic qualifying process but this state has 8 D3 programs, plenty of high school talent but only a modest number of AA's most years. Why? I'd love an explanation from someone who knows more about it.

And, yes, Coach Gibbs is doing nice work at BW. Coach Hawald has gotten things moving forward at Case as well.

This was Kerry Volkmann's last year at JCU. That program can really take off again if they find the right coach.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 23, 2015

When I saw this thread all I could think of is how my alma mater (Capital) did away with wrestling and how they'll not see one dollar from me until it's reinstituted.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 23, 2015

Quote from Mark Cummings's post:

"When I saw this thread all I could think of is how my alma mater (Capital) did away with wrestling and how they'll not see one dollar from me until it's reinstituted."

Good on you, sir!!!

I wish Central Ohio kids had more options when it comes to wrestling in college and staying close to home. Not everyone is D-I B1G material. There are a number of kids who would fit in nicely at Capital, Otterbein, Dennison, or (D-II) Ohio Dominican!

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on March 24, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"[quote=I wish Central Ohio kids had more options when it comes to wrestling in college and staying close to home. Not everyone is D-I B1G material. There are a number of kids who would fit in nicely at Capital, Otterbein, Dennison, or (D-II) Ohio Dominican!"

This has been my sentiment in general. Because Ohio is in the top tier of high school wrestling, many kids think that if they place at the state tournament, then they're ready for D1. Not so.

Using CVCA as an example, we've seen several kids go D1 and do just fine... guys like Tomasello (obviously), Utley, Meadows and even Jared Kusar. But we've also had a few guys go D1, stay on the roster for a year or two and then quit. In recent years, more of our guys are realizing the quality college wrestling experience that they could have in DII or DIII and it's great to watch them start AND finish their careers... Vargo, Decatur, Havener, J. Hojnacki, etc.

To echo Hank's sentiment, I have a high expectation for DIII wrestling in Ohio too. Warburg and Augsburg have had a lock on the team title for years now and that needs to change.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 24, 2015

Quote from Mark Cummings's post:

"When I saw this thread all I could think of is how my alma mater (Capital) did away with wrestling and how they'll not see one dollar from me until it's reinstituted."

Mark, I tune pianos over at Capital's Conservatory of Music. Given the nice Capital Center Field House that they have, it's a shame that they dropped wrestling.

Jim Jordan graduated from Capital U's law school. I'm sure he's been approached as an advocate for reinstating the program.

Jason Russell added to this discussion on March 24, 2015

Baldwin Wallace had two AA's, Mount Union, Heidelberg and John Carroll all also had an all american. BW's second AA was from PA. Mount Unions returning 3rd place Border scratched.

Jesse Gunter- Akron Coventry 4th
Dan Mirman- Medina Highland 6th
Jon Garrison - Copley 7th
Richard Dowdley - Glennville 5th

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 24, 2015

A Glenville High School wrestler earned AA honors!

That's fantastic. Cleveland Public Schools produce an AA. I love it. Congrats to this young man.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on March 24, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"A Glenville High School wrestler earned AA honors!

That's fantastic. Cleveland Public Schools produce an AA. I love it. Congrats to this young man."

Dowdley was on fire. He took the eventual champ, LeFever, into pretty exciting overtime waters in the semis.

Jason Russell added to this discussion on March 24, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"A Glenville High School wrestler earned AA honors!

That's fantastic. Cleveland Public Schools produce an AA. I love it. Congrats to this young man."

Hank, I both wrestled with Richard and coached with him this year. He is also a 4.0 student and an Academic All-American, along with Academic All OAC honors. Also has the strongest bear hug on the planet.

► Add to the Discussion