Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Reaction Time and Video Review
Dan Harris added to this discussion on March 21, 2015

Something that's been bothering me about video review is how and if reaction time is being accounted for. The locking hands call in tonight's final is an example. If you pause the video the instant the knee touches the mat and the hands are locked, do you need to account for reaction time? What if it was a hand touching the mat for a split second instead? I know the rules specifically mention reaction time for a hand touching the mat versus unlocking the hands.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

Quote from Dan Harris's post:

"Something that's been bothering me about video review is how and if reaction time is being accounted for. The locking hands call in tonight's final is an example. If you pause the video the instant the knee touches the mat and the hands are locked, do you need to account for reaction time? What if it was a hand touching the mat for a split second instead? I know the rules specifically mention reaction time for a hand touching the mat versus unlocking the hands."

Excellent question.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

Dan,
I am not entirely sure that I understand what you are asking so if this does not address it, please clarify.

The rule book reads as follows:

"Wrestlers in the position of advantage may not interlock or overlap their hands, fingers, or arms around their opponents body to both legs unless all of their opponents weight is supported entirely by the opponents feet or the defensive wrestlers pinning area is meeting near fall criterion"

Further:

"The mere touching of the defensive wrestlers hands to the mat is not considered a change to this position unless the hands are weight bearing, in which case the offensive wrestler is allowed reaction time to release the lock".

Remember, and this is important, that reaction time is allowed for moves bringing the defensive wrestler back to the mat but there is no reaction time coming up from the mat.

Dan Harris added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

Since reaction time is allowed for an opponents hand touching the mat when your hands are locked, the hand can touch for some amount of time. If this is looked at on video during a challange, the time is actually measurable. It's a lot different than watching it happen during the live flow of the match. Just wondering how much time, if any, will be allowed if this situation is reviewed on video.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

Never having had an occasion for a video review, I will wait to see if Fred chimes in.
In my mind, there should be no difference but, like coaches ask me, what do I know?

Jason Russell added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

Dan, last year in my senior year of college they eliminated reaction time. It does not exist anymore.

Jason Russell added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/8472-the-no-reaction-time-rule-regarding-takedowns-thoughts/

► Add to the Discussion