Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Discussion Topic: NCAA Brackets
Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on March 12, 2015

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"Cody Walters, 30-1, MAC Champ, former AA, seeded 9th.

Eblen, from Missouri, who lost to Walters a week ago, seeded 4th. Hmmmmm!"

This made no sense. Walters has had a great season, with only on early season loss to UM's Davonte Mahomes. The only thing I can think of is Walters lack of quality wins. No way should Eblen be seeded above him though.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jeff Reid added to this discussion on March 12, 2015

I like Cody Walters retweet of OU's tweet:

We are the bad draw. It all comes down to 3 days and who wants it more. #war http://on.NCAA.com/1MukQyP

Last edited by Jeff Reid on March 12, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 12, 2015

Cody Ruggerillo is about as good a first round matchup as one could ask for.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 12, 2015

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"Cody Walters, 30-1, MAC Champ, former AA, seeded 9th.

Eblen, from Missouri, who lost to Walters a week ago, seeded 4th. Hmmmmm!"

I have not clicked onto page two yet so ifsomeone already saidit then diregard but...

I'm wondering if this seeding - along with #3 Mayes (MIZZ) over #4 Carter has ANYTHING to do with MIZZ attending (and winning - but moreso attending) the National Duals.

I could be way off on this conspiracy theory though. (But both of those seeding selections are head scratchers.)

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 12, 2015

Thing about Walters... he doesn't wrestle many tough matches at all. He almost always gets the job done against the guys he faces, but how many of those guys qualify for the NCAA tournament? A handful or less. The Eblen win is nice; he also lost to Mahomes early season.

I will grant you, though, that the seeding committee generally favors a one-loss season--regardless of quality of competition--a lot better than they did here, though. Eblen's high seed is a bit confusing, really, when you compare him to Walters.

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on March 12, 2015

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Thing about Walters... he doesn't wrestle many tough matches at all. He almost always gets the job done against the guys he faces, but how many of those guys qualify for the NCAA tournament? A handful or less. The Eblen win is nice; he also lost to Mahomes early season.

I will grant you, though, that the seeding committee generally favors a one-loss season--regardless of quality of competition--a lot better than they did here, though. Eblen's high seed is a bit confusing, really, when you compare him to Walters."

I will not fault the committee if they had issue with Walters lack of wins over quality opponents. Where I have issue is the lack of consistency in the criteria used to seed wrestlers, as it appears.

In some situations it looked they placed emphasis on winning conference tournaments. In other instances it looked like it H2H results, and in others it looked like total body of work.

In the case of Walters, he won the MAC and did so while beating Eblen H2H. Not to mention a season that consisted of only one loss, to Mahomes, early season when Mahomes was borderline top 10.

When I look over all the seeding in each bracket, there is no consistency in how the wrestlers were seeded.

This however, will make for a fun 3 days.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 12, 2015

Ben - I agree with you. Walters is very good, just can't point to a lot of high-value wins this season.

I watched the Eblen match and I believe Cody is better. However, Eblen has wins over Weatherman and Wilps, both also seeded.

If I were voting I would put more emphasis on quality wins than I would on losses.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 12, 2015

Seeding supposedly determined by 3 factors: wining % vs Div 1 opponents, Coaches panel rankings and RPI. Is RPI the demon????

The Coaches' Panel rankings are just what they sound like -- a panel of wrestling coaches votes on the top wrestlers at each weight; unsurprisingly, these tend to be pretty similar to the rankings produced by independent organizations like AWN, InterMat, WIN and Flowrestling.

The RPI rankings are statistically-driven measure. RPI essentially measures strength of schedule and is figured by multiplying a wrestler's winning percentage (against D-I opponents only) by the aggregate winning percentage of his D-I opponents by the aggregate winning percentage of his D-I opponents' opponents. A wrestler must have 17 matches against D-I opponents in order to be included in the RPI rankings.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 19, 2015

How does Navy's Peyton Walsh (40-8) get a #8 seed and Cornell's Dylan Palacio (19-2) get a #12 seed? InterMat has Walsh at #14 and Palacio at #9???

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 19, 2015

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"How does Navy's Peyton Walsh (40-8) get a #8 seed and Cornell's Dylan Palacio (19-2) get a #12 seed? InterMat has Walsh at #14 and Palacio at #9???"

The seeding is horrible--period. The criteria used are incomplete. The NCAA should be embarrassed.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 19, 2015

Local middle school tournaments are seeded better. -- Kevin Dresser.

#imafannow

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 19, 2015

Jason Borelli was on Flo Radio and explained the process. Honestly, after listening I understood and had little issue with the seeding.

Are there cases where seeds seem off? Yep. Would that happen with any criteria? Yep.

Dresser probably was under-seeded at 41 (Carter, by 1 spot) but drastically over-seeded at 49 (Mastriani - #7 with 10 losses). I guess I don't see the beef.

Koll from Cornell made a valid point - just rank people all year via the seeding algorithm so there is no confusion. That makes sense to me.

One issue that needs addressed is that in the current system bad losses don't really hurt. They should.

A second is that past year's results aren't considered. If they were, Kindig and Delgado would be seeded. That's an easy fix.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 19, 2015

Just have to mention how far viewing NCAA Wrestling has come. I am set up to watch any of the eight mats on ESPN3, and have a separate browser open with Trackwrestling up to show me who is on deck on each mat. Great! Go Bucks!!

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 19, 2015

I'm really looking forward to the extended coverage ESPN is giving to the NCAAs this year. All sessions set to record on the DVR at home and going to try to catch some of the Bucks matches live at work if I'm able to.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 19, 2015

A.J. Schopp goes down.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next