Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: NCAA: More Scoring?
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 26, 2015

At the college level, is there anything that could be done structurally (without radically altering the essence of the sport) to create incentives to more scoring?

Or is everyone become so specialized it doesn't matter what paradigm is put in place?

Or does it even matter? Should more scoring even be on the radar?

(I think Brands beat Gilbert like 33-19 in 1991; generically, I'd like to see more of those types of matches.)

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 26, 2015

A part of me thinks awarding 3 points for a takedown would solve it, but on the other hand, that score gap might encourage the wrestler in thelead to shut down sooner.

So, my reaction is to make takedowns 1 point, escapes during action 1 point, but escapes on restarts worth nothing. Then I think of convaluted scoring, throw myhands up, and go eat choclate.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 26, 2015

Would it matter if there was a disparity between a win and Tech-Fall that was so great in regard to Team Points (for example: Minor-1, Major 2, Pin 3, TF 6) that the incentive is worthwhile?

(I sense the Rule of Unintended Consequences would come into play with this idea; I'm sure our math friends and tacticians could quickly point out what/why this wouldn't work.)

Regardless, wouldn't it be great to see a high scoring melee at least once most tournaments/duals? : )

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 26, 2015

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"Would it matter if there was a disparity between a win and Tech-Fall that was so great in regard to Team Points (for example: Minor-1, Major 2, Pin 3, TF 6) that the incentive is worthwhile?

(I sense the Rule of Unintended Consequences would come into play with this idea; I'm sure our math friends and tacticians could quickly point out what/why this wouldn't work.)

Regardless, wouldn't it be great to see a high scoring melee at least once most tournaments/duals? : )"

I like increased team points for bonus. Except a pin should still be ultimate goal and thus worth most team points.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 26, 2015

1) Get rid of riding time.
2) If top is riding but not scoring and bottom can't escape, put bottom back in neutral with no point awarded.
3) Allow officials to call passivity. After two calls, let the opponent of the penalized wrestler have his choice of positions.
4) TD=2 pts. leg attack with back exposure = 3 pts.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 26, 2015

I don't like the getting rid of escape point.

Not a fan of getting rid of riding time either. What I would like is for stalling to be more aggressively called on bottom wrestler AND on top wrestler (once 1 minute advantage has been gained).

No one point unless you get NF.

That's all I'm saying.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on February 26, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"No one point unless you get NF.

That's all I'm saying."

I LOVE this idea. This makes the top man have to do something more than ride in order to make it worth his effort.

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"I don't like the getting rid of escape point.

Not a fan of getting rid of riding time either. What I would like is for stalling to be more aggressively called on bottom wrestler AND on top wrestler (once 1 minute advantage has been gained)."

Brady: I could watch video with you for hours and show you match after match where stalling decided the outcome. In many cases, it's appalling. Nick Heflin lost in the NCAA finals because of a stalling point.

My feeling is that if a wrestler is not being aggressive, give his opponent a chance to earn points. Stalling points are unearned IMO.

Mark Niemann: Intrigued by your idea of no riding point without NF. I could be talked into it.

It's a date. Yabo Taco's. See you then.

"It's a date. Yabo Taco's. See you then."

I'm married....and straight.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

"It's a date. Yabo Taco's. See you then."

I'm married....and straight."

HA!

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on February 26, 2015

I don't think scoring is so much the issue, it's action. People want to see exciting matches. Exciting matches don't necessarily mean scoring points; there can be wild exchanges of takedown attempts or scrambles that result in no points scored, but it was exciting to watch.

- I think just about everyone agrees that no riding time point is awarded unless some sort of near-fall is scored.

- Stalling, passivity, whatever, it needs to be enforced vigorously. Too many times I've seen a match get stalled out until the 3rd period and then stalling is finally called when it should have been made sooner.

- Still on stalling. I've seen a lot of posts where the first stalling call results in choice of position to the non-stalling wrestler. 2nd stall results in the point being awarded as usual, plus a point. I say, take it a bit further, when a point is given in the match, add a team point as well.

- Some people seem torn on the push-out. I like it because it makes the edge of the match dangerous instead of tentative action or one wrestler fleeing the other but not getting penalized. I don't follow freestyle or greco so I'm not sure if push-outs have been abused in some fashion. It seems like when I've watched it, there's been action.

► Add to the Discussion