Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Lehigh - 48 Hours Later
Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

Quote from Mark Martin, Sr.'s post:

"Martin has been taking one the team since he got there after we told ryan before he committed that he's still growing and not mature yet we said redshirt at 74 as a freshman then 84 or even 97 before it was over and they agreed and then once he got there had him cut 30 lbs to 165,then last yr they wrestled him the whole yr with a completely torn meniscus now this yr he couldn't wrestle til September and they had him cut 30 again so he's been getting screwed since day one"

This presents serious questions, many of which I'm sure I cannot think of. One, however, is the suggestion the coaches MADE him wrestle injured even with a redshirt to burn.

For clarification, Mark, he was forced to wrestle injured? If not, would they pull the scholly money?

Also, does he routinely beat Courts in the room such that he could have won a wrestle-off at 84?

These are big questions but let's face it, Pandora's box is now open.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Todd Carpenter added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

"Martin has been taking one the team since he got there after we told ryan before he committed that he's still growing and not mature yet we said redshirt at 74 as a freshman then 84 or even 97 before it was over and they agreed and then once he got there had him cut 30 lbs to 165,then last yr they wrestled him the whole yr with a completely torn meniscus now this yr he couldn't wrestle til September and they had him cut 30 again so he's been getting screwed since day one"

Ouch. Thats a shame that you feel your son has not gotten a fair shake during his college career at OSU. I hope he has taken advantage of the educational opportunities at OSU to set himself up for a succesfull life after college. I am hoping that he finds the resolve to battle through the weight cut and break through at Big Tens and Nationals. The OSU will need him to come up big to win a National Title.

Mark Martin, Sr. added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

Well number one he didn't want to wrestle injured but there doctor cleared him and mark didn't want to punk out and two when mark is at his optimal weight he beats Kenny but I'm sure a wrestle off between them would be close but I definitely think mark would do better against the field

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

I'm still wishing Heflin would have wrestled at 197 for 4 years instead of one.

John DiJulius added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

"Well number one he didn't want to wrestle injured but there doctor cleared him and mark didn't want to punk out and two when mark is at his optimal weight he beats Kenny but I'm sure a wrestle off between them would be close but I definitely think mark would do better against the field"

Maybe this talk is better for after the season. The team has the big tens next weekend and then the NCAA's. That should be everyone's focus right now. How to peak individually and as a team. Make a run, they are right there. People like Mark, Johnni, Kenny, Josh, & Tav are key to us potentially winning this whole thing. If they step up and score significant points, make it to the podium, this team will do what no other Ohio State Wrestling team has ever done. That is what these kids should be focused on right now. All the wrestlers read this forum. Any thing else is a distraction and can serve as a crutch for not doing our best. Go Bucks!

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

Quote from John DiJulius's post:

"All the wrestlers read this forum. Go Bucks!"

Good Luck fellas. Understand what fan talk is -- guys who are fans of the team wanting them to do well.

Some smart kids on tOSU's team - obviously.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

This presents serious questions, many of which I'm sure I cannot think of. One, however, is the suggestion the coaches MADE him wrestle injured even with a redshirt to burn.

For clarification, Mark, he was forced to wrestle injured? If not, would they pull the scholly money?

Also, does he routinely beat Courts in the room such that he could have won a wrestle-off at 84?

These are big questions but let's face it, Pandora's box is now open."

Man, I'm staying away from this one. I'd rather comment on religion!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

I'm going to agree with John D. on this one.

I think this team needs us rooting for them, not dividing them. As critical as we have been over any loss, or lack of energy/motivation/drive/whatever we perceive, we have voiced them and are wanting the most out of each member of the team. You can't get more out of them with negativity.

B1Gs are roughly 11 days away. Get your tickets and get ready to cheer the Buckeyes on.

Here's hoping Kim Stone doesn't find out about this thread!!! Yikes - if so, some of you are in trouble. ;-)

Tommy Rowlands added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

At this point in my life I am just a knowledgeable fan who reads a lot and gets the inside scoop every now and again. I will tell you that from my vantage point the guys on the team who are closest to "over training", the guys who "cut the most weight", and the guys who are "the strongest"----also happen to be the 4 guys in the most probable hunt for the individual title. It's not coincidental to me and its certainly not a surprise to me. It's been that way in my experience as a wrestler and a coach for the past 25 years.

I am excited about the next 4 weeks because Ohio State has NEVER been this close to winning the national championship. Year to date, we have performed below our potential and I don't think anybody in the program would argue that. That being said, it's still the closest this program has ever been, no question in my mind.

I am hoping that the 80% of this starting lineup that reigns from Ohio brings one home for us. They know what it would mean to our community and I know it's on their minds. Courts and Snyder are adopted Buckeyes and I know how much this means to them.

I believe the BIG TEN's and NCAA's will be Ohio State's best performances of the year, for may reasons. I think it will be enough.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

Good comments Tommy!

Thanks for contributing!

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

In J.D. Bergman's true freshman year, at the NCAAs, the Bucks went on an insane tear, winning something like 17 out of 21 matches at one stretch. I would love to see a run like that this year.

The potential is obviously there. All ten guys have the capacity for a great run in March.

As we head to the Big Tens, the physical and technical work is basically done. As they say, "the hay is in the barn."

The only thing left to do is to have the absolute conviction that success is inevitable.

As the great powerlifter Bill Kazmeier always said (among many others, I'm sure,) "Conceive, believe, achieve."

The Big Tens are gonna rock. Can't wait to attend!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

#DotNet shorts if you got'm!

And be hungry for tacos!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

Quote from Tommy Rowlands's post:

"At this point in my life I am just a knowledgeable fan who reads a lot and gets the inside scoop every now and again. I will tell you that from my vantage point the guys on the team who are closest to "over training", the guys who "cut the most weight", and the guys who are "the strongest"----also happen to be the 4 guys in the most probable hunt for the individual title. It's not coincidental to me and its certainly not a surprise to me. It's been that way in my experience as a wrestler and a coach for the past 25 years.

I am excited about the next 4 weeks because Ohio State has NEVER been this close to winning the national championship. Year to date, we have performed below our potential and I don't think anybody in the program would argue that. That being said, it's still the closest this program has ever been, no question in my mind.

I am hoping that the 80% of this starting lineup that reigns from Ohio brings one home for us. They know what it would mean to our community and I know it's on their minds. Courts and Snyder are adopted Buckeyes and I know how much this means to them.

I believe the BIG TEN's and NCAA's will be Ohio State's best performances of the year, for may reasons. I think it will be enough."

All I need to hear. I'm on board.

Pulling as well for hardworking wrestlers at Kent, OU and CSU.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

"I believe the BIG TEN's and NCAA's will be Ohio State's best performances of the year, for may reasons. I think it will be enough."

Lay 'em on us! What are some of these reasons?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

"At this point in my life I am just a knowledgeable fan who reads a lot and gets the inside scoop every now and again. I will tell you that from my vantage point the guys on the team who are closest to "over training", the guys who "cut the most weight", and the guys who are "the strongest"----also happen to be the 4 guys in the most probable hunt for the individual title. It's not coincidental to me and its certainly not a surprise to me. It's been that way in my experience as a wrestler and a coach for the past 25 years.

I believe the BIG TEN's and NCAA's will be Ohio State's best performances of the year, for may reasons. I think it will be enough."

What inside scoop you getting about how Hunter is doing

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next