Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Lehigh - 48 Hours Later
Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

Niemann, maybe you should consider just how superior B1G wrestling is compared to other, basically Little Sisters of the Poor Conferences. The chit gets real week in and week out in the B1G. It wears on wrestlers.

Maybe Rex or Mitch could attest to that?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Steve Lester added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

Quote from Mark Martin, Sr.'s post:

"I think it's too long of a grind for too long with all those multiple one hr weigh ins weekly against top guys never getting a easy match unless your a freak"

All the more sweeter when Mark* overcomes that, AQs, then makes serious noise at nationals on his way to a podium spot.

*Martin, not Niemann

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"

"I think it's too long of a grind for too long with all those multiple one hr weigh ins weekly against top guys never getting a easy match unless your a freak"

All the more sweeter when Mark* overcomes that, AQs, then makes serious noise at nationals on his way to a podium spot.

*Martin, not Niemann"

Ha! No need for a qualifier. But I appreciate the gesture.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"

*Martin, not Niemann"

Ha! No need for a qualifier. But I appreciate the gesture."

Encouraged. Mindsets for everyone.

Mike Antenucci added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"James; MarMar would have to weigh-in close to 174 due to NCAA weigh-in rules. Wrestlers can only lose so much weight between weigh-ins.

I'm trying to think of someone who did that recently. I know Cox wrestled up, but I was thinking it was a season or two ago. Anywho, one of the wrestlers wrestled up and then a couple days later, dropped back down o his original weight class. People were talking how the wrestler won that first match by basically giving up 10 lbs. due to that rule."

I was thinking more long term and wrestling Kenny off for the starting spot at 184"

This is all predicated on Martin taking the 84 slot at the beginning of the season: I think Martin would do better at 84 than Courts has done. The problem is that this creates a hole in the lineup as I don't see Courts being able to make the cut to 74. (Is Martin taking one for the team this year?).

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

Do you see other teams that are in the B1G grind having same problems as tOSU? Because if not, it's just an excuse.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Do you see other teams that are in the B1G grind having same problems as tOSU? Because if not, it's just an excuse."

This is a tough question to answer but I think you could say yes. OSU, Illinois, Minnesota didn't preform that well this past weekend and had the same results OSU did with their 1A guys winning and in some cases losing and the 1B guys all losing as well.

As far as the other teams in the B1G its tough to say because some of those other teams aren't that good to begin with.

Only rebuttal is that Cornell and Mizzou are significantly better than Lehigh -- but point is well taken.

If you have the chops to academically handle Cornell and the wrestling ability -- that'd be a tough college to turn down.

Mark Martin, Sr. added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

Martin has been taking one the team since he got there after we told ryan before he committed that he's still growing and not mature yet we said redshirt at 74 as a freshman then 84 or even 97 before it was over and they agreed and then once he got there had him cut 30 lbs to 165,then last yr they wrestled him the whole yr with a completely torn meniscus now this yr he couldn't wrestle til September and they had him cut 30 again so he's been getting screwed since day one

"Only rebuttal is that Cornell and Mizzou are significantly better than Lehigh -- but point is well taken.

If you have the chops to academically handle Cornell and the wrestling ability -- that'd be a tough college to turn down."

My only argument is comparing the last 9 duals Cornell, Mizzou, Minnesota and OSU wrestled.

Cornell wrestled 2 teams ranked in the top 25 and had 2-4 weeks in between the ranked teams

Missouri wrestled 3 teams and had 2-4 weeks in between the ranked teams

OSU & Minnesota wrestled 6 ranked teams and a lot times wrestled them back to back weekends.

I think the grind does catch up and as other stated that might be why Cael and other coaches don't participate in the duals.

"My only argument is comparing the last 9 duals Cornell, Mizzou, Minnesota and OSU wrestled.

Cornell wrestled 2 teams ranked in the top 25 and had 2-4 weeks in between the ranked teams

OSU & Minnesota wrestled 6 ranked teams and a lot times wrestled them back to back weekends.

I think the grind does catch up and as other stated that might be why Cael and other coaches don't participate in the duals."

I meant that tOSU, MN, and Ill would have similar schedules -- but MN and Ill lost to teams that are better than Lehigh. The grinding schedule of the Big Ten is problematic but not a single team would use that as an excuse.

I love the National Duals from a fan standpoint. Duals are WAYYYYY more fan friendly than tournaments.

Mechanicsburg has gained quite a few fans these past couple years as they've come to more duals.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

"Martin has been taking one the team since he got there after we told ryan before he committed that he's still growing and not mature yet we said redshirt at 74 as a freshman then 84 or even 97 before it was over and they agreed and then once he got there had him cut 30 lbs to 165,then last yr they wrestled him the whole yr with a completely torn meniscus now this yr he couldn't wrestle til September and they had him cut 30 again so he's been getting screwed since day one"

I would have liked to see Mark red-shirt last year. Was clear he was hurt watching him wrestle.

I recall Heflin last season not cutting much at all and he had a stellar year. There was a guy from Penn State a couple years ago that wrestled at 197 who I spoke with at the Big Tens and he mentioned he wasn't cutting much at all. Might be worth analyzing weight cutting on a larger scale to see how performance varied when guys cut versus don't cut.

"

"My only argument is comparing the last 9 duals Cornell, Mizzou, Minnesota and OSU wrestled.

I think the grind does catch up and as other stated that might be why Cael and other coaches don't participate in the duals."

I meant that tOSU, MN, and Ill would have similar schedules -- but MN and Ill lost to teams that are better than Lehigh. The grinding schedule of the Big Ten is problematic but not a single team would use that as an excuse.

I love the National Duals from a fan standpoint. Duals are WAYYYYY more fan friendly than tournaments.

Mechanicsburg has gained quite a few fans these past couple years as they've come to more duals."

I agree about the duals I think they are great and there is nothing better then a very competitive dual meet.

"Martin has been taking one the team since he got there after we told ryan before he committed that he's still growing and not mature yet we said redshirt at 74 as a freshman then 84 or even 97 before it was over and they agreed and then once he got there had him cut 30 lbs to 165,then last yr they wrestled him the whole yr with a completely torn meniscus now this yr he couldn't wrestle til September and they had him cut 30 again so he's been getting screwed since day one"

So coaches won't let him wrestle off at 184 or 197 or is Mark just being a team player?

Mark Martin, Sr. added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

They said Kenny wasn't certified at 74 so mark couldn't wrestle off and they didn't want to go with somebody else at 74

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next