Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Status of Ohio State Wrestling Headed into Postseason
Mitch Clark added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

Looking back at last weekend it's easy to detect what is happening with the Buckeyes. Half of the lineup performed and the other half didn't. I'm sure if you asked most of the guys in the OSU lineup, they are beat down (physically and mentally) from the Big Ten schedule that they have endured. Though they probably wouldn't admit it, there are some that were happy that the wrestling at the Duels ended Saturday morning. I say that because that is how I felt at this point in the season every year. That doesn't make it wrong, it just means they need a break.
So the question is why do some Buckeyes currently look in peak form and others look beat down and why did some teams look hungry and others looked tired.
Look at OSU's lineup and the guys that are perfoming are all World Class Freestyle wrestlers that are used to the pounding all year long (not sure what BJ has done in Freestyle but he has been wrestling all through the offseason due to his dads elite camp system). Coupled with the fact that winning matches is a morale booster, they are all banged up but when you are winning it makes the pounding easier.

Then you look at what teams performed at the Duels. Cornell beat a very tough (but beat down) Minnesota team. Lehigh beat a very tough (but beat down) Ohio State team. Missouri beat a very tough (but beat down) Iowa team. Minnesota, Ohio State & Iowa were totally different duel meet teams before their conference schedule. The teams from the EIWA & the MAC are hungry, they haven't been beating each other up near as bad as the more physical, high-stress big ten duel meet schedule. Trust me, preparing mentally for home duels such as PSU, Minnesota & Iowa is much more draining then preparing for Princeton, Penn & Harvard (plus the coach has the luxury of sitting out his guys periodically to rest them).

The break for these Big Ten teams is much needed, I am sure the coaching staff's will sense that and plan accordingly over the course of the next 4 weeks.
My only concern is will there be enough time to let the foot off the gas, preparing for the National Duels, the Big Ten Tournament and the NCAA Tournament all within a 1 month period is not an easy task (Maybe Cael has it right holding his team out of the Duels at an opportune time). Only time will tell, stay tuned.
See you at Big Ten's!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

First!

Welcome back, Mitch!

Excellent insight. Nice to read the words of someone who has been through the battle field of D-I B1G wrestling.

You mentioned Cael decision to hold out of the Nationals Duals...

Is his reasoning the event itself, or the timing of the event? I can't remember if he has ever said either way.

Anywho, thanks for contributing.

Last edited by Mark Niemann on February 23, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"First!

Welcome back, Mitch!

(I am yet to read the post. Wanted to say Hi first.)"

Mark,
I am beginning to think that both you and I need a life.
OTOH, retirement is a wonderful thing.

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"Mark,
I am beginning to think that both you and I need a life.
OTOH, retirement is a wonderful thing."

In light of the twists and turns of this forum...

I John 5:12

:-D :-D :-D

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

hi Mitch,
so how does your analysis (and Cael's apparent position) relate to Tom Ryan's well-known postion as a strong supporter of the Duals being part of the formula to decide THE national team champion? ...s/BobP

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

Fantastic post Mitch! Thank you! When wrestlers of your caliber (and Rex as well) make this type of post, it really helps folks who don't have much in the way of college wrestling experience (esp. B1G experience) gain a better understanding of the grind and dynamic of a D1 wrestling season.

If the small time college wrestlers on this forum are not convincing to all of you, this post should help better define your understanding as to why many folks are NOT in panic mode because of the Lehigh match.

John Ice added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

I think I would play Mitch Clark vs Virtus Jones video of the NCAA finals nonstop in the wrestling room. If that doesn't fire you up nothing will.

Last edited by John Ice on February 23, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Mitch Clark added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

Hi Bob
For starters, I am a huge supporter of the National Duels, I think it is an exciting event that has the potential to get wrestling noticed by fans that don't typically watch wrestling. However, I hate the date that they changed it to. It is way too close to the Big Tens & NCAA's and it comes at a time where the athletes have had enough of the duel meet schedule.

I don't believe that they should crown a team NCAA title from the results of the duel meet championship. We have a "gem" that we should not mess with, the NCAA championship is a spectacular event that should not be messed with.... That being said, without going to far into detail, the scoring system at the NCAA's is a very archaeic point system that should be reevaluated and changed.

I don't really have the answer as to how to make the National Duels count for more than it does. I wish there was an easy solution that forced all coaches to strongly consider attending the event. Perhaps there is no solution and the event continues to be a great thing to watch/support by wrestling fans.

On a side note, don't forget husbands are only allowed a one weekend hall pass every winter and they will chose to attend the individual NCAA championships every time!

Quote from Mitch Clark's post:

"...On a side note, don't forget husbands are only allowed a one weekend hall pass every winter and they will chose to attend the individual NCAA championships every time!"

Gentlemen - I make a motion that we crown Mitch today!

Well stated, my good man!

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"Fantastic post Mitch! -- -

this post should help better define your understanding as to why many folks are NOT in panic mode because of the Lehigh match."

"panic mode" No-- however i am concerned, yes i am, with good reason. Why?

1. Mitch Clark brings out the point that the Duals may show that the Big Ten schedule has taken its toll. The Big Ten tourn wil further take its toll.

2. And its truth that the NCAA tourn is littered with first year phenoms. Ohio st fate depends on 3 of the 6 top freshman in the nation:
125 Tomasello
141 Ashnault, Rutgers
149 Sorenson, Iowa
157 Martinez, illinois
165 Bo Jordan
197 Kyle Snyder

i'm not doubting, i'm just pointing it out. We had 2 freshman national champs last year Tsirtsis & Cox, so yes it can be done. ...s/BobP

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

Quote from Mitch Clark's post:

"...On a side note, don't forget husbands are only allowed a one weekend hall pass every winter and they will chose to attend the individual NCAA championships every time!"

Gentlemen - I make a motion that we crown Mitch today!

Well stated, my good man!"

I am sensing another restraining order very soon!

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

"Fantastic post Mitch! -- -

this post should help better define your understanding as to why many folks are NOT in panic mode because of the Lehigh match."

"panic mode" No-- however i am concerned, yes i am, with good reason. Why?

1. Mitch Clark brings out the point that the Duals may show that the Big Ten schedule has taken its toll. The Big Ten tourn wil further take its toll.

2. And its truth that the NCAA tourn is littered with first year phenoms. Ohio st fate depends on 3 of the 6 top freshman in the nation:
125 Tomasello
141 Ashnault, Rutgers
149 Sorenson, Iowa
157 Martinez, illinois
165 Bo Jordan
197 Kyle Snyder

i'm not doubting, i'm just pointing it out. We had 2 freshman national champs last year Tsirtsis & Cox, so yes it can be done. ...s/BobP"

You're preaching to the choir man :-)

" You're preaching to the choir man :-)"

u said folks werent in "panic mode", i expressed why i am concerned-- i'm not preaching anything, just giving my opinion, is that ok by u?

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

"Fantastic post Mitch! Thank you! When wrestlers of your caliber (and Rex as well) make this type of post, it really helps folks who don't have much in the way of college wrestling experience (esp. B1G experience) gain a better understanding of the grind and dynamic of a D1 wrestling season.

If the small time college wrestlers on this forum are not convincing to all of you, this post should help better define your understanding as to why many folks are NOT in panic mode because of the Lehigh match."

Quality follow up; it is appreciated.

I for one am humbled by the perspective offered from those who have the credentials to broaden my perspective; I understand better now thanks to Mitch (and Patrick).

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

" You're preaching to the choir man :-)"

u said folks werent in "panic mode", i expressed why i am concerned-- i'm not preaching anything, just giving my opinion, is that ok by u?"

Ha Ha! I was saying we're are on the same page. Deep breath bro....

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next