Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Gilman/Waters Donnybrook...
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/252077-2015-National-Duals/video/761599-125lbs-Finals-Alan-Waters-Missouri-vs-Thomas-Gilman-Iowa#.VOp3H7PF939

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

I do what I can to refrain from personal attacks, but that slam was a pretty punk move.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

BS move by Gilman. I want to respect Iowa and call BS on the antics by their opponents to rile up the crowd, but cheap crap like this makes it easy to cheer against them.

Cory Surles added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

I really hope Tomasello never loses to that guy again!!! He is worst than Ramos!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

Both feet off the ground, backward tuck position, degree of difficulty 3.7... : )

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

I remember Gilman saying this year he & Clark will be better that McDonough & Ramos. Not even close...

Steve Lester added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"BS move by Gilman. I want to respect Iowa and call BS on the antics by their opponents to rile up the crowd, but cheap crap like this makes it easy to cheer against them."

Apparently Waters was dinged for the illegal slam, and Gilman for something else, maybe trying to tackle Waters after the whistle.

William Danforth added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

Gilman was ding for the slam. Waters was ding for shoving on Gilman as he was getting up.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"BS move by Gilman. I want to respect Iowa and call BS on the antics by their opponents to rile up the crowd, but cheap crap like this makes it easy to cheer against them."

As a spectator of the event, yes, that was cheap of Gilman. Waters and his continuing past whistles, shoving on head is just slightly better. I blame the ref's. If they'd call all that stuff - and the going past whistles was SOOOOO OBVIOUS, then that'd all end.

Riling up crowd -- now that I have no problem with - but they should do if from the bench. Raise the noise level in the arena.

Having attended wrestling meets in HC Arena, I can say there isn't a better place to watch wrestling. The IA fans are everything I want in fans. Incredibly knowledgeable about wrestling, incredibly vocal, and incredibly one sided.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

Quote from William Danforth's post:

"Gilman was ding for the slam. Waters was ding for shoving on Gilman as he was getting up."

That's what Gibbons and Johnson reported during the broadcast.

However, they are contradicted by others, including Waters himself (Flo interview), Missouri Coach Smith (press conference), BTN's Shane Sparks (during the broadcast), and one of this forum's "visiting" contributors who was in attendance (expressed his observation elsewhere).

It appears that OFFICIALLY, Waters was penalized for the slam action by the referee.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

I watched this on DV-R last night. How in the world Waters was penalized is beyond me. Unless he throws a punch, I would award one point.

I'm still trying to figure out in my mind how what was hit was not flagrant misconduct!?

ps: I'm heading over to the Hawkeye forums now. SHould be interesting...

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"I watched this on DV-R last night. How in the world Waters was penalized is beyond me. Unless he throws a punch, I would award one point.

I'm still trying to figure out in my mind how what was hit was not flagrant misconduct!?

ps: I'm heading over to the Hawkeye forums now. SHould be interesting..."

I ran it back several times listening to Sparks explanation. I did this because, from what I saw), it made NO sense. I would love to hear how the man on top was called for a violation like this. Where did the force, to make that move happen, come from??
Really my thought at the time was that the official lost track of colors and penalized the wrong guys. Sparks explanation only confused me more. IMO, he should never have stated anything that was not 100% accurate.
Let us know what you find on the Iowa forums.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

It seems pretty clear why Waters got the slam call to me...If Gilman was credited with the slam, Waters could have stayed down and Iowa would've given up six. This way that was not an option (not that Waters would have taken it).

Those officials were in Iowa's pocket, period. Think of how many times you've seen Iowa wrestlers push off their opponents head to get up, how many times they give a little (or a lot) of extra business going out of bounds. Even last night, as always, there was a ton of that. Mizzou did it back and got called for it.

Terry Bands can run out onto the mat like a mad man, Gilman can repeatedly grab Waters' singlet and straight up try to injure him, Evans and Clark and Telford cheap-shot going out of bounds over and over, and don't get me started on stalling...how one team is simply allowed to do it and the other gets it called on them when the crowd says so. Iowa plays by different rules because the refs let them. I loathe officials.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

Well, at least we cleared that up!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 23, 2015

From the Iowa forums...

Waters is a dirty rat-ass punk piece of gutter trash and should be exiled from the NCAA for the garbage he did in that match!

Gilman is a sweet little angel just trying to engage in a harmless wrestling match...when Waters comes swinging with his punches. I'm surprised Waters didn't have taped hands with broken chips of glass and bones stuck to them!

Poor little Gilman was just trying to wrestle according to the rules.

...sounds about right.

(No direct quotes. Just paraphrasing with A LOT of liberties.)

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next