Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks v Lehigh
David Brown added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

Jeff it isn't that I disagree with your speculation. I just don't understand it. There is no bread crumb trail from Tom's faith to the performance of his wrestler's. It is akin to saying, "what if the kind of car Tom drives is impacting his wrestler's?" I'm just not making the connection. Bold topic though, thanks for bringing it. Good forum.
Incidentally, I believe Cael's faith IS a public faith and it has played a role in landing top kids.
Not a big deal at the end of the day. After watching Mizzou beat Iowa I think it is fair to say parity is alive and well in D1 wrestling. Gonna be an interesting March.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

Regarding religion--I agree with Jeff Reid's comments and prefer to leave it at that.

Everyone else has good points. Yesterday was the first bad effort all season by the Bucks. Everyone has a clunker but this was egregious because Lehigh is an average team.

Was is just a bad effort from which the Bucks can bounce back? Or was it a harbinger of things to come? As JDJ sr noted, we'll find out.

One things for sure--this forum got a lot more interesting.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

Is the essence frustration on the collective part of the Dot.Net family a lack of a wholehearted, dare I type "fierce", effort on the part of a contingency of the team?

IF so (much like parenting a teenager!) it would seem the issue would be one of will...as opposed to knowledge.

I want to tread lightly because a) I don't know anything intimately about the inner workings of the team b) I don't have a collegiate perspective on the sport and c) I think there is wisdom in Rex's training observations that comes in to play in this sowing/reaping universe we live in.

Conversely, there are times that it seems (respectfully and with humility) that a handful of the guys are willing to go and work hard, but aren't passionate about depleting all their mortal resources in "real" time to flat out win.

For me, when I perceive (somebody get me an italics font, please) this way, the perception is viewed through a larger lens than normal because the Buckeyes seem to be as close to a National Championship opportunity as they've ever been.

IF (again, I need a qualifying italics font) this is the case, it seems the wisest course of "first response" action (again, back to the parenting teenagers model) is for the big brother(s) to pull the siblings in and just lay it out:

"My plan was to see us be National Champions, see my brother win his 1st, and for me to win my 4th. This isn't about Mom, Dad, school, rules, chores, girls or communication. It's about us...and it's showtime."

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Regarding religion--I agree with Jeff Reid's comments and prefer to leave it at that.

Everyone else has good points. Yesterday was the first bad effort all season by the Bucks. Everyone has a clunker but this was egregious because Lehigh is an average team.

Was is just a bad effort from which the Bucks can bounce back? Or was it a harbinger of things to come? As JDJ sr noted, we'll find out.

One things for sure--this forum got a lot more interesting."

Hank (with a winsome tone toward our beloved Dot.Net Supreme Allied Commander) : ) we who possess faith in Christ can be hypocritical and/or inconsistent in that faith, but we can't compartmentalize it into private/public life.

Justification by Grace through Faith in Jesus Christ = Life.

“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

― C.S. Lewis

Mark Martin, Sr. added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

Looking big or small has nothing to do with weight cutting bo is not cutting alot and he looks huge that's just body type as far as mark is concerned he gets smaller and lose muscle when he cuts alot the same would be said about logan he looks small when he cuts as well you can ask anybody in that room that mark is bigger stronger and better before the season starts and fades more and more as his body breaks down then injuries come and far as johnni he's just small with bad eating habits.i might not be a wrestling expert but I'm on a high level when it comes to eating and being strong been doin it for over 20yrs

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"

Conversely, there are times that it seems (respectfully and with humility) that a handful of the guys are willing to go and work hard, but aren't passionate about depleting all their mortal resources in "real" time to flat out win.

"

I wish I had a magic wand that could help everyone feel what it is like to go from being a HS BEAST, to working your butt off day in and day out in college, only to all of a sudden be getting your butt kicked by someone you've never even heard of...every freakin' week. I wish there was a way to impart the understanding that there are times when it is an issue of "heart" and "who wants it more", but often it is that the "no name" on the mat with you has an answer for everything you do. All those little "tricks" that worked for you in HS are just a joke now and you are just fighting every moment to set-up a scoring opportunity, let alone being able to follow through with it.

They are passionate about it, they just don't have the next level of skill and confidence to pull it off. Some guys are just born with "it". The Logan Stiebers, Kyle Snyders, Bo Jordans, and Nate Tomasellos of the world. They take on the the next level and succeed like they always have. They have more than just skill and attitude. They have "it," the compilation of the total package. They are freakin' gifted in ways you just can't understand.

The rest of them have most of "it", but the have to sort out the rest. This is where all of the stuff Rex talks about comes in. If they can get task oriented and train smart...they can attain "it". But most of us mortals cannot. No matter what we do. No matter how much heart we have. "It" is not within our grasp.

Every starter on the Buckeyes team either has "it" or is very close to being able to attaining "it". None of them are mere mortals like us. The 2nd 5 need the proper training to get there. Hopefully, they can have those needs addressed. I can tell you this, "It" is so difficult to attain that folks far better than I have also finally just given up. Sometimes that happens. But, there is no way we are in position to judge that from these seats.

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"

"

"

I wish I had a magic wand that could help everyone feel what it is like to go from being a HS BEAST, to working your butt off day in and day out in college, only to all of a sudden be getting your butt kicked by someone you've never even heard of...every freakin' week. I wish there was a way to impart the understanding that there are times when it is an issue of "heart" and "who wants it more", but often it is that the "no name" on the mat with you has an answer for everything you do. All those little "tricks" that worked for you in HS are just a joke now and you are just fighting every moment to set-up a scoring opportunity, let alone being able to follow through with it.

They are passionate about it, they just don't have the next level of skill and confidence to pull it off. Some guys are just born with "it". The Logan Stiebers, Kyle Snyders, Bo Jordans, and Nate Tomasellos of the world. They take on the the next level and succeed like they always have. They have more than just skill and attitude. They have "it," the compilation of the total package. They are freakin' gifted in ways you just can't understand.

The rest of them have most of "it", but the have to sort out the rest. This is where all of the stuff Rex talks about comes in. If they can get task oriented and train smart...they can attain "it". But most of us mortals cannot. No matter what we do. No matter how much heart we have. "It" is not within our grasp.

Every starter on the Buckeyes team either has "it" or is very close to being able to attaining "it". None of them are mere mortals like us. The 2nd 5 need the proper training to get there. Hopefully, they can have those needs addressed. I can tell you this, "It" is so difficult to attain that folks far better than I have also finally just given up. Sometimes that happens. But, there is no way we are in position to judge that from these seats."

That is fair and seems helpful; thank you for the insight.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

To continue on the same thought line at Pat and Justin. Most on here grew up during the "Gable led Iowa ear" where they'd beat the ever living crap out of you to win. Mr. Milkovich wrote about this some years back. When he was at the top of his weight in the nation, he wrote (my paraphrase here) that when he stepped on the mat vs. a Hawkeye, he didn't worry about being beat technically (but they were technical in what they did) but he had to be mentally and physically prepared for an all out assault on his body. He talked about the numerous of better wrestlers who'd build nice leads against them only to physically wilt under the assault brought against them.

....so, for many of us, we equate passion, desire, and heart with that style of wrestling - so when we don't see those things, we question. But that isn't reality - and my thinking has changed over the past 7/8 years from talking with Matt Dernlan and the current coaching staff at PSU. Cael is UBER competitive but is about as quiet and calm guy as you'll ever meet. Brands bros are on the opposite end of the spectrum (I still believe that a majority (even if it's 51%) of their antics are a show for their own fans -- and their fans love it).

What we didn't SEE from the Buckeyes this weekend is what so many are frustrated about. And as fans, that is our right.

I'm positive the coaching staff is working to correct those issues - and I hope they're open to different avenues to accomplish that task.

Where the will of the athletes comes in is when you are losing, struggling to make weight, struggling to score in the room, struggling in class, etc., are you WILLing to put in the extra time to study, study film, eat right, sleep right, turn off your cell phone, tell the g/f no date tonight, call a coach for a (insert time here) technique session to work on areas where you are getting/have gotten beat in. Having been there those are extremely difficult things to do on a consistent basis and even more difficult when the results you desire so badly are happening.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 21, 2015

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"I'm glad you're not Tom Ryan as well Hank, because I like you too much to want you fired from your job, like I currently do Mr. Ryan. We've seen the same problems from the Buckeyes for the past 7 years. Lack of offense, just horrendous on bottom and a general lack of conditioning/match awareness/fire.

Nice guys who care a lot get fired all of the time. Tom Brands seems like a real d***, but he looks like he's about to win a national title. Not sure I wouldn't trade what we have for that right now."

I'm eating a big helping of Crow right now, and it tastes damn good. Sorry coach!

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 21, 2015

I'm still glad Tom Ryan is the coach and not Hank. But man that guy makes some awesome pastrami!

"
Bucks have got to let go of their title hopes and focus on improvement..."

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 21, 2015

No need to be a douche Pat.

"No need to be a douche Pat."

Not being a douche buddy, we've had a fun season. Now smile and enjoy the last few matches!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 21, 2015

P-Camp:

You pick at Bob and Hank (intermittently)...please stop antagonizing your older siblings! : )

"P-Camp:

You pick at Bob and Hank (intermittently)...please stop antagonizing your older siblings! : )"

Interestingly, they can razz whom ever they like, but they sure are touchy when they get it back.

If it's that bad, feel free to remove me from the forum.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 21, 2015

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"

"P-Camp:

You pick at Bob and Hank (intermittently)...please stop antagonizing your older siblings! : )"

Interestingly, they can razz whom ever they like, but they sure are touchy when they get it back.

If it's that bad, feel free to remove me from the forum."

NO WAY! We need everybody, especially P-Camp, Pruesse, and The Meat Man!

Now you are being touchy...simma down, simma down. : )

This is a day of rejoicing !

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next