Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks v Lehigh
Mike Stann added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

Quote from Antony Sharples's post:

"I'm gonna go ahead and be the first one to publicly say it...maybe Tom Ryan is not the guy to get them to the top. He is a great guy, tremendous at getting donors, etc., but I don't think he is going to get them to the top. I have spoke with people in the program who think he is too soft on the kids. I don't see them developing the guys, and I absolutely cannot fathom that they cannot find the depth in the room to win these duals. I can tell you right now, if you think they are a top 3 team come NCAA tourney time, you are crazy."

Since only penn st, okla st, minn and iowa have won a championship since 1988 who is the person to lead the buckeyes? I don't think cael,tom, jrob or john smith are available. Too soft on the kids, overtrains them, too much weight loss, etc. One would think the others are not even fielding a team. Do you really think iowa isn't training their kids hard or asking for big weight cuts? I mean the others are fielding a team of wrestlers that want to win just as bad as we do. The one that really bugs me is "no heart". Dare one of you to say that to a wrestlers face. If you are wrestling Division I at this level you have heart to just go through the rigors, both mental and physical, of the sport. I know we are all disappointed. But do you really think you are more disappointed than the kids who lost? Saying they have no heart impugns the honor of these young men who are out there giving it their all for your university. I'm not saying there aren't areas that you can see why someone didn't win a match (not enough talent, bad mat strategy, failure to finish shots etc) but to say they didn't have heart, imo, is just flat out wrong. Oh and by the way call me crazy. Johnni, Josh, Mark and Tav already have a history of scoring points at the NCAA's. OSU has almost always wrestled above expectations at the championships. Last, after yesterday I would say that we have 4 potential champs. I think 125 went wide open yesterday with Nahson's loss.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jeff Reid added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

I agree with you Antony. I don't think Ryan is the guy, perhaps someone like Jeff Jordan or Mark Perry would fit the bill. I know one match does not make the year, but most of the criticism on here is legitimate. From no offensive points, to not being able to escape from bottom, to the gimmick/joke of #WT3. I do not see a lot of development from guys other than the super stars. But the thing that really bothers me, and I could be way off base, is the religion thing. I know Tom Ryan is very religious and you can subtlety hear him express it with phrases like "living the right way" and so on. I wrestled for a religious coach in college and while it was never pushed, it was always referenced. What it did was divide the team into those that bought into it and those that did not. Of course the favorites were the one that bought into it. So I guess my question is, is this the scenario in tOSU wrestling room? If so, should there be any place for this kind of thing at a public institution? Again, I could be way off base on this. Thoughts?

Alex Creech added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

Quote from Mike Stann's post:

"

Quote from Antony Sharples's post:

"I'm gonna go ahead and be the first one to publicly say it...maybe Tom Ryan is not the guy to get them to the top. He is a great guy, tremendous at getting donors, etc., but I don't think he is going to get them to the top. I have spoke with people in the program who think he is too soft on the kids. I don't see them developing the guys, and I absolutely cannot fathom that they cannot find the depth in the room to win these duals. I can tell you right now, if you think they are a top 3 team come NCAA tourney time, you are crazy."

Since only penn st, okla st, minn and iowa have won a championship since 1988 who is the person to lead the buckeyes? I don't think cael,tom, jrob or john smith are available. Too soft on the kids, overtrains them, too much weight loss, etc. One would think the others are not even fielding a team. Do you really think iowa isn't training their kids hard or asking for big weight cuts? I mean the others are fielding a team of wrestlers that want to win just as bad as we do. The one that really bugs me is "no heart". Dare one of you to say that to a wrestlers face. If you are wrestling Division I at this level you have heart to just go through the rigors, both mental and physical, of the sport. I know we are all disappointed. But do you really think you are more disappointed than the kids who lost? Saying they have no heart impugns the honor of these young men who are out there giving it their all for your university. I'm not saying there aren't areas that you can see why someone didn't win a match (not enough talent, bad mat strategy, failure to finish shots etc) but to say they didn't have heart, imo, is just flat out wrong. Oh and by the way call me crazy. Johnni, Josh, Mark and Tav already have a history of scoring points at the NCAA's. OSU has almost always wrestled above expectations at the championships. Last, after yesterday I would say that we have 4 potential champs. I think 125 went wide open yesterday with Nahson's loss."

I've been wanting to say exactly this, but couldn't find the right way.........kudos.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

Well, this thread has gotten interesting. Kudos to those of you with the guts to speak your minds. Like it or not, I'm glad we're not all of one voice.

In defense:
Bucks beat Minny and PSU and lost by 4 to Iowa in a match that could obviously have gone the other way. They looked better in those bouts.

I think Lehigh caught them off guard yesterday by battling really well in certain positions in ways the Bucks weren't used to seeing in Big Ten. Maybe that's a good lesson to learn prior to NCAA's. But there's also no denying that it's a terrible loss for a team that has talked NCAA title all season. Bucks got exposed and a lot of us are reacting to it. Especially upsetting is the fact that every Buckeye who lost is one of the guys we're hoping to see break through at NCAA's.

Biggest issue since Tom Ryan's arrival in Columbus has been the lack of development of wrestlers in the program who aren't stud recruits. There have been a few exceptions but not enough.

Jeff Reid--I agree with your comment about religion. No place for it in public life--and that includes a wrestling room.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"
Jeff Reid--I agree with your comment about religion. No place for it in public life--and that includes a wrestling room."

I can't keep my mouth shut on this. This is a disgusting statement. Are you seriously saying that people shouldn't have the right to publicly express their beliefs, whatever they may be? I find your statement offensive, but I would never say you don't have the right to say it.

Jason Russell added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

"
Jeff Reid--I agree with your comment about religion. No place for it in public life--and that includes a wrestling room."

I can't keep my mouth shut on this. This is a disgusting statement. Are you seriously saying that people shouldn't have the right to publicly express their beliefs, whatever they may be? I find your statement offensive, but I would never say you don't have the right to say it."

I in absolutely no way agree with the public life part, but I will agree with Jeff Reid about the room, as I had a nearly identical experience.

I do think Tom Ryan is the man though! Just give it time.

Jeff Reid added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

"

"

I can't keep my mouth shut on this. This is a disgusting statement. Are you seriously saying that people shouldn't have the right to publicly express their beliefs, whatever they may be? I find your statement offensive, but I would never say you don't have the right to say it."

Alex,I think you are misinterpreting what Hank and I both said. Nobody said you cannot express your faith publicly. My comment is directed towards the potential for a coach to soft peddle his religious views on his team at a public institution. I am not saying this is the case at tOSU, but I am wondering aloud if it is the case.

Gregory Martin added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

Well I'm glad that Coach Ryan loves God enough to tell the world because so do I and glad my son will be around a man like him!! although I was disappointed In the lost I realize this is a hard sport and nobody is on top of their game all the time unfortunately we had too many that was not on top of their game on the same day!! I believe things happen for a reason and as long as the kids learn and get better because of it so what they had a off day Not the end of the world!! Live to see another day!!

David Brown added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

How is there no place for religion in public life Hank? What does that mean?
And Jeff, how does one make a logical leap or wonder out loud if Tom Ryan's faith is a detriment to the team? Other than your bygone high school experience what connection can be made between his faith and the team's poor performance yesterday?

David Brown added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

Well said Greg. People can forget that a coach's faith can actually play a significant role in recruitment. Cael and Tom Ryan being two notable examples.

Quote from Jeff Reid's post:

"

"

"

Alex,I think you are misinterpreting what Hank and I both said. Nobody said you cannot express your faith publicly. My comment is directed towards the potential for a coach to soft peddle his religious views on his team at a public institution. I am not saying this is the case at tOSU, but I am wondering aloud if it is the case."

I understand what you said Jeff, public institution vs public life is very different. But to your statement, I get it, but how is "living the right way" a religious statement? I'm sure you have your own version "living the right way". Tom Ryan does not preach on campus or in the room, he would have been fired. However, the man is allowed to express his beliefs when asked, even in a public institution. For me, I've only ever heard Tom directly reference his faith when asked about the death of his son.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

When Tom Ryan refers to "Living the right way" he is talking about training right, staying focused, having the correct nutrition, the correct rest & recovery, and excelling in the classroom. He is talking about balance in those areas. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Let's give it 24 hours guys."

It's sure been a fired up 18 hours.

The forum community, including wrestlebucks, and it's brutal tweet, has divided the team into two parts. I hope the coaching staff doesn't do the same.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

I think Tom Ryan has did a great job at Ohio State! His track record shows we peak in March. Under coach Ryan J Jaggers, Mike Pucillo ( who beat Jake Varner Olympic champ to win his title), Nick Heflin, Reese Hump, and many others peaked in March. We have two runner up finishes at nationals under his guide. We could easily be undefeated this year. OSU needs a better option at 285, we had an opportunity to win against VT, Mizzo, and Lehigh if we win at heavy by DEC.

I think JDJ needs to add something to his style to place top 5.

Josh Demas has to pull the trigger.( He needs to built separation between the field and himself).He can compete with the top guy and lose to a top 20.

I think Martin is still searching for a signature win in his career. I always thought he needed a red shirt to develop his skills

Kenny Courts an athlete with all the skills of a national champ, however has never wrestled a complete match at that level.

Tav would be considered an undersized 285 amongst mammoths. He has the heart of a champ but the skills of a round of 12 at best.

If Hunter can't come back to AA form we need 3 of 5 to AA from this group to be champs. Let's hope Hunter is healthy!

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

I think the discussion on here is great! We can't help but feel frustrated after a match like that. In an oversimplification, the guys that are attacking scoring points are winning. The guys who are managing the matches are losing. And for me, it's become such an obvious pattern, it does become a question of why isn't this being addressed and overcome?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next