Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks v Lehigh
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 21, 2015

I was thinking that the 4 captains selections never made more sense than today.

However, I refuse to be doom and gloom. Terrible loss with lots of mistakes byt onwards and upwards. They have 4 high AA candidates and another 4 who can compete for R12/AA. A very good formula.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 21, 2015

So they one and done?

Mark Martin, Sr. added to this discussion on February 21, 2015

I'm saying overall and yea some guys do well cutting weight but most don't all the guys wrestling the best on our team right now are strong and not cutting a whole lot logan,tomasello,bo,snyder

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on February 21, 2015

Yup. I think the two teams that lose in the semis are auto-locked for 3rd place match up.

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on February 21, 2015

#wakupcall

I agree with Pat. This team can still win a National Championship. Tournament wrestling and dual meet wrestling are two very different things.

I am very disappointed that several of our wrestlers seem to selectively display the grit and toughness that it takes to consistently win at this level. Against Minn the Bucks looked like a team that would walk through fire to get a victory. Today... not so much. Why is that?

On a side note... Randy Languis is one my favorite Bucks. It would be easy for a kid in his position to just go through the motions until Hunter is healthy, but instead, Randy consistently grinds against very good competition. I'm certain he's not happy with his W-L record, but he should be proud of the way he's competed this season.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 21, 2015

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"So they one and done?"

Trackwrestling is showing an OSU/Illinois match next??

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on February 21, 2015

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"So they one and done?"

Trackwrestling is showing an OSU/Illinois match next??"

I am wondering if it's one and done also. I hope they have another match.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 21, 2015

Frustrations:

1) JDJ just won't shoot. So when he wrestles a kid with a good game plan and can't control the arm--it's trouble. He has to vary his offense once in a while just to keep guys honest. Otherwise, he's going to have to hope for the right draw to place. It's a shame because this kid has the heart and desire. But he has got to add a few wrinkles to his game.

2) Languis has shut down his offense. He used to score some TD's. Now he just tries to manage the whole match and hopes to catch a late score and win. It hasn't worked in a long time. He was a better wrestler as a true frosh getting his butt kicked.

3) Demas wants to score late in the period each match and the whole country knows it. His mindset has him trapped and it's caught up with him. It's too bad because he's a good wrestler--with bad habits.

4) Martin wrestles hard but isn't good enough at what he does to break through against top wrestlers. Dad seems to think his problem is the weight cut. Maybe? Maybe not.

5) Courts simply isn't a "money" wrestler.

Lehigh had a plan for the dual. Tie up the Bucks on feet. Pass the leg to counter each shot. Ride them on top. A lot of it was stalling but refs allow wrestlers to stall (esp. in Martin's match where that kid did nothing on top except figure out how to keep Mark on his base).

If I'm Tom Ryan, my concern is no longer winning NCAA's. Its getting my best guys as ready as possible to challenge for titles--and let the team score sort itself out. Get Logan, BoJo, Snyder and NaTo as ready as possible. And just try to take the pressure off the rest of these guys so that maybe they'll relax and perform better. And if Hunter still can't wrestle, let's just shut him down and let him get surgery.

Bucks have got to let go of their title hopes and focus on improvement. Que sera sera (what will be, will be).

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 21, 2015

I'm sure glad you're not Tom Ryan....

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 21, 2015

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"I'm sure glad you're not Tom Ryan...."

We both are.

Last edited by Hank Kornblut on February 21, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 21, 2015

I'm glad you're not Tom Ryan as well Hank, because I like you too much to want you fired from your job, like I currently do Mr. Ryan. We've seen the same problems from the Buckeyes for the past 7 years. Lack of offense, just horrendous on bottom and a general lack of conditioning/match awareness/fire.

Nice guys who care a lot get fired all of the time. Tom Brands seems like a real d***, but he looks like he's about to win a national title. Not sure I wouldn't trade what we have for that right now.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 21, 2015

Oh, and I would absolutely look JDJ, Demas, Martin, Court and Tav in the eye and tell them that a national title rests on their shoulders.

Logan, BoJo, Snyder and Nate are going to do what they have to/can, but they can't win it by themselves. Hunter is going to give his best effort. The rest of them haven't shown anything all year that leads me to believe that they are going to step up.

I hope I'm wrong.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 21, 2015

My point, Hank, is that no coach worth his salt would just quit on half of his team and only focus on 5 guys coming into the conference tournament and national tournament. Regardless of a team loss today and whatever disappointments the team may have experienced in the past, a coach that quits on his team should never be a coach.

Tom Ryan most certainly will be preparing the big scorers, but he will also be coaching up the likes of Mark Martin, Josh Demas, Kenny Courts, and Nick Tavenello as 2-3 wins from each of these guys with the bonus point scoring of the Big 4 and possibly Hunter will still have the Buckeyes in a title hunt. Today's loss does not a season break...

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 21, 2015

I don't know what's worse listening to the radio after the Browns loose or coming on here after a bucks lose. I was extremely pissed after that match but let's all calm down. Perhaps this is match that helps re focus or pick up the intensity in practice or whatever it may be. I think a lot of guys on here coached at one time and we have all had a day like today and just think back to what you said or did as a coach and let's all relax.

We have a while before wins and loses actually matter.

Go Bucks

Cory Surles added to this discussion on February 21, 2015

Aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Letting out my internet scream!) y'all know we would be watching thomasello vs waters right now right??? Smh

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next