Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Joey O'Neill
Shel Harper added to this discussion on February 17, 2015

I ran across a video of Walsh's Joey O'Neill at a Medina Invitational 171 match in 1993, and it reminded me of something that I wonder if any of you older gents might have seen.

At the beginning of a match at Walsh---don't remember whether it was the Ironman or a dual---he charged the mat like he was shot from a gun. I'd never seen such intensity, and still haven't. O'Neill won the match (no surprise there) but I've forgotten whether pin or tech or decision---or whether his opponent was just scared to death.

Anyone know whether Joey is still in the neighborhood, or what he's doing?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 17, 2015

Was this the match where he tore Ryan Root to shreds? Oneill was an amazing competitor.

Joe Johnson added to this discussion on February 17, 2015

Quote from Shel Harper's post:

"I ran across a video of Walsh's Joey O'Neill at a Medina Invitational 171 match in 1993, and it reminded me of something that I wonder if any of you older gents might have seen.

At the beginning of a match at Walsh---don't remember whether it was the Ironman or a dual---he charged the mat like he was shot from a gun. I'd never seen such intensity, and still haven't. O'Neill won the match (no surprise there) but I've forgotten whether pin or tech or decision---or whether his opponent was just scared to death.

Anyone know whether Joey is still in the neighborhood, or what he's doing?"

That was basically how Joey went for every match. He was unstoppable during those flurries. He would score ten or twelve points in the first few minutes, then gas! Lol. He was one of my favorite wrestlers to watch. There are some great stories about him-he didn't care about wrestling, he loved football, so he never practiced. Won a state title with zero conditioning. Just pure talent and strength. I believe he lives in Florida now.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 17, 2015

Cable 9 has the 1995 (I think) championships with O'Neills match and it was just as Joe stated. Also has the McGhee-Knaze match.

Kyle Klotz added to this discussion on March 6, 2015

I have followed this site almost daily for the past few years, and haven't really posted anything yet, but thought I can add to this discussion. Joe(Joey) is my uncle through marriage,and I sent this link to him.

Funny thing is that I am a huge wrestling fan, but never heard of him before I met him. My aunt told me he was a "pretty good" wrestler, but never said anything more about it. In 2007 I was reading an article about a mythical dual between 95 Walsh, vs 2007 St.Eds, and came across the 189 lb match between Joe and Honeycutt. Much to my surprise he was way more than a "pretty good" wrestler. I added the link to the article below.

http://www.ohiowrestlingsite.com/406/ohio-wrestling-site-handicaps-a-mythical-dual-vs-the-vaunted-1995-walsh-jesuit-warriors/

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 6, 2015

Quote from Kyle Klotz's post:

"I have followed this site almost daily for the past few years, and haven't really posted anything yet, but thought I can add to this discussion. Joe(Joey) is my uncle through marriage,and I sent this link to him.

Funny thing is that I am a huge wrestling fan, but never heard of him before I met him. My aunt told me he was a "pretty good" wrestler, but never said anything more about it. In 2007 I was reading an article about a mythical dual between 95 Walsh, vs 2007 St.Eds, and came across the 189 lb match between Joe and Honeycutt. Much to my surprise he was way more than a "pretty good" wrestler. I added the link to the article below.

http://www.ohiowrestlingsite.com/406/ohio-wrestling-site-handicaps-a-mythical-dual-vs-the-vaunted-1995-walsh-jesuit-warriors/"

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 6, 2015

Quote from Kyle Klotz's post:

"I have followed this site almost daily for the past few years, and haven't really posted anything yet, but thought I can add to this discussion. Joe(Joey) is my uncle through marriage,and I sent this link to him.

http://www.ohiowrestlingsite.com/406/ohio-wrestling-site-handicaps-a-mythical-dual-vs-the-vaunted-1995-walsh-jesuit-warriors/"

Cool. Thanks for sharing.

Does a link to the O'Neil/Root match (Medina?) exist?

Anybody have it?

► Add to the Discussion