Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Flo's Broadcast
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 16, 2015

Flo spent a lot of time and effort hyping Edinboro v Ohio State. Then the broadcast fell apart. Haven't heard a word from them nor seen an acknowledgement that there were problems with their broadcast. Judging by what I've read online, I was hardly the only one to have issues.

I thought--naively--they'd own it. I'm appalled and deciding whether or not to cancel my subscription.

Thoughts?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Steve Lester added to this discussion on February 17, 2015

Actually in the thread section below the Edinboro-TOSU matches on Flo, one of the mods posted a preliminary explanation and apology (about 200 words). I don't know if that has been done in the past and he seemed serious enough. So at least there was that, though I think that posting could be copied and e-mailed to subscribers.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 17, 2015

Hank...good luck canceling. I've heard their cancelation services are far worse than their live feed services.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 17, 2015

Michael: I've read the same thing.

Hank, all: what is different between Flo and, let's say tBTN? They are both doing the same thing - broadcasting from location to mass amounts of people. Is it Internet and TV; is that the difference?

The odd thing to me is that sometimes it seems that for every customer who loses the feed, another person says it works fine. I do not understand the hit-and-miss of it all.

One thing is for certain - if people are paying, they better get what they pay for.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on February 17, 2015

I think the feed problem was wider spread (if not universal) on this one.

As far as billing, my older boy has been working for a dot.net company for quite a while and laughed derisively when I asked about that (he was familiar with flotrack).

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 17, 2015

If I promised all my customers Prime Briskets for a big meat smoking event and then gave most of them something inferior, I'd be all over it. Every customer who received the wrong product would be offered an apology and a choice of a refund or store credit for the amount in question.

I'm so annoyed by Flo's unwillingness to publicly own the issue. I will contact them today and see how they explain it.

Matt Hall added to this discussion on February 17, 2015

I was able to watch the broadcast until half way through Bo Jordan's match. My daughter came down stairs to ask me a question and I paused the video. That was it. After that, I was unable to resume watching the broadcast and most importantly I missed Bo's pin!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 17, 2015

Hank: please let us know how it goes.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on February 17, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"If I promised all my customers Prime Briskets for a big meat smoking event and then gave most of them something inferior, I'd be all over it. Every customer who received the wrong product would be offered an apology and a choice of a refund or store credit for the amount in question."

Off on a tangent for a moment. It's obvious that you are a man of high character. It is quite troubling that more and more individuals seem to lack integrity today, never owning their mistakes. Good for you sir.

Greg Debbe added to this discussion on February 17, 2015

Flo has a terrible history with any big events. I have never read anything positive when they have broadcast a big event. I had customers in my restaurant wanting me to stream the match. I opted not to because I didn't want to have a bunch of people who came in just to see the match and not get to. After the match was over, I looked on the forums for results and saw all of the comments. I was so glad I did not attempt to stream it. I do believe the customers would have understood it was not our fault mainly because I know most of them and they are wrestling fans so they know the history of flo also. I just didn't want the hassles. I guess I made the right choice.

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on February 17, 2015

I was unable to get service as well, I contacted their support department and voiced my concerns about this broadcast and the many others that I was unable to view in part or entirely. I inquired as to why an offer of a free month or any sort of recompense was not extended, let alone an apology to the many people not getting what they paid for...no response, not even an acknowledgement. Not a very successful business model. I wish there was an alternative, one day there might be, then these boys are in trouble.

Quote from Mark Cummings's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"If I promised all my customers Prime Briskets for a big meat smoking event and then gave most of them something inferior, I'd be all over it. Every customer who received the wrong product would be offered an apology and a choice of a refund or store credit for the amount in question."

Off on a tangent for a moment. It's obvious that you are a man of high character. It is quite troubling that more and more individuals seem to lack integrity today, never owning their mistakes. Good for you sir."

I appreciate the compliment but its just smart business. There is no faster way to lose your customers than to fail to acknowledge when you mess up. The money you pay short term is a pittance compared to what it can cost you in the long run.

Now, the tricky part is when a customer goofs up and blames you. That's when you have to make a tough decision.

Received a prompt response to my complaint and Flo is giving me two months free service. That's fine and appreciated. But what about those people who don't complain? What happens when someone just cancels because they're pissed?

I guess that Flo is willing to accept that as a cost of doing business.

Flo has great content and I find a lot worth viewing. It certainly allows a wrestling junkie like me a "fix."

Greg Debbe added to this discussion on February 17, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Michael: I've read the same thing.

Hank, all: what is different between Flo and, let's say tBTN? They are both doing the same thing - broadcasting from location to mass amounts of people. Is it Internet and TV; is that the difference?

The odd thing to me is that sometimes it seems that for every customer who loses the feed, another person says it works fine. I do not understand the hit-and-miss of it all.

One thing is for certain - if people are paying, they better get what they pay for."

Mark

I think its a bottleneck issue. Basically, BTN has bigger pockets and can spend the money on the proper infrastructure to handle the number of people requesting to view. BTN has much bigger audiences for more mainstream sports that they handle just fine. They also have more paying customers than flo. I have seen posts complaining that flo and BTN cost the same monthly and you should be able to expect the same results. In theory that would be true but the reality is that BTN has a lot more money to pay to do it right.

I guess I would compare it to trying to push a bunch of "fill in the blank" through a hose. Flo has a much smaller diameter hose and one that is more subject to getting kinks. BTN probably has a hose that is 20 or 30 times (if not more) the diameter of flo and does not get kinks in it. Some customers get on flo and see things just fine because they got there first and/or got past a kink or two. Some customers on flo get on just fine then get caught in a kink half way through. Others never get the chance to get on because the hose was blocked up before they ever tried. BTN can avoid all or most of this because they can pay more for a better hose.

Regardless of the reasons, flo will not get my money until I start hearing about better results.

William Danforth added to this discussion on February 17, 2015

I was at the OYWA State tournament at Akron Firestone HS. Had my computer in the ref/workers hospitality room. About a dozen refs/works/kids gathered around to watch. All was fine up until Logan's match. We saw them put the ankle straps on then it crashed. There was a lot of screaming from all of us. Never could get the broadcast again.

Later that night I was able to watch the matches.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next