Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: New member
Shel Harper added to this discussion on February 15, 2015

Shel Harper here. . .old guy, new member. Thanks to Hank for steering me around the registering and log-in potholes.

Some bio bits: Born 1921 in Fairmont, WV. OSU grad 1950. Lived and worked (in advertising) mostly in Cleveland, also in Akron. Home is Strongsville for past 10 years, Broadview Heights. for most of the previous 58.

Never wrestled or coached but got hooked as a fan (as in fanatic) at St. Ed Super Quad in 1980 or 81. Did some wrestling writing in the 1990s, but not very active in recent years.

I'm looking forward to trading posts with people who speak wrestling (it's a foreign language to most of the people I know).

I close this with a trivia question---which I think is based on fact: Name the only wrestler to defeat both Dustin Schlatter and Brent Metcalf in college. First correct responder gets an all-expenses paid week in Ann Arbor Michigan. Second place gets two weeks.

Nice to be with you.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Steve Lester added to this discussion on February 15, 2015

We know a certain local boy did it. Didn't realize he was the only one.

Love wrestling trivia. Need more.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 15, 2015

Both Lance Palmer and Darrion Caldwell did this.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 15, 2015

"First correct responder gets an all-expenses paid week in Ann Arbor Michigan. Second place gets two weeks."

Who in the hell would want that prize!?!?!?!?! Go Buckeyrs!!!!!!!

Welcome aboard, good sir!

Shel Harper added to this discussion on February 15, 2015

Ben. . .thanks for pointing out that Darrion Caldwell, in addition to Lance Palmer, also won over both Metcalf and D. Schlatter. I'd fire my head of research but I need the job.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on February 15, 2015

Welcome to the DOT.NET Shel.

You seem to have a good sense of humor to go with your 'advanced level of maturity'!

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 15, 2015

Quote from Shel Harper's post:

"Ben. . .thanks for pointing out that Darrion Caldwell, in addition to Lance Palmer, also won over both Metcalf and D. Schlatter. I'd fire my head of research but I need the job."

Ha, I love it!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 15, 2015

Shel, old friend, glad to see in the game here-- u and i have had some nice communications over many years. ..s/BobP

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 15, 2015

Shel: Third prize is a week in Strongsville (spent 4 years in Ann Arbor). That's why I'm in charge ;)

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 15, 2015

Shel, so excited to have you here.

You are officially the Elder Statesman of the Dot.Net!

Shel Harper added to this discussion on February 16, 2015

Thanks to long-time friend Bob Preusse and you other posters for the welcoming words. No doubt I speak for other new members in saying we appreciate the special feeling of "being at home" here.

Great win yesterday at Edinboro for the "Go Bucks" crew. When BobP set the Taylor-Stieber Ironman final as the last match of the evening, who'd have guessed he was showcasing a finals match "loser" who ranks with the greatest winners ever, and who may well become a four-timer at the top level.

Shel Harper added to this discussion on February 16, 2015

Hank, I guess I won third prize myself since I spent a week in Strongsville last Thursday. Wait. . .I shouldn't demean Strongsville. It'd be a fine place if we could get rid of the Rt. 82 clogs. Ten million cars is too much for a city with only 50,000 people.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 17, 2015

Quote from Shel Harper's post:

" Great win yesterday at Edinboro for the "Go Bucks" crew. When BobP set the Taylor-Stieber Ironman final as the last match of the evening, who'd have guessed he was showcasing a finals match "loser" who ranks with the greatest winners ever, and who may well become a four-timer at the top level."

u knew i'm sure, Shel-- is this how u recall it? from the archives:

As Ohio State’s 141 Logan Stieber chases his fourth NCAA title, let’s look back at him in high school. From tiny Monroeville Ohio, Stieber burst on the scene with much hoopla at the 2006 Ironman. In the 103 weight class he made the finals where he met another schoolboy legend David Taylor of (St. Paris) Graham Ohio.

There was a buzz leading up to this match, the likes of which we rarely see during the regular high school season. Such was his reputation that Stieber seemed to be a favorite though Taylor was the defending Ironman champ and a class older than the freshman Stieber.

Taylor though was the superior wrestler that day winning, 7-3, on the strength of his dominating on-top skills. That would be Logan Stieber’s only high school loss and he himself would develop a dominating on-top game in college.

Taylor would go on to become the first wrestler to win four Ironman titles. Taylor had a terrific career at Penn St where he won two Hodge trophies emblamatic of college wrestling’s No. 1 guy pound for pound. Ironically, last year Stieber would come in second to Taylor in voting for the Hodge trophy.

But on a cold December night in 2006 in Cuyahoga Falls Ohio the freshman Stieber would begin his epic journey that this season could put him along side the legends of college wrestling. Only three others have won four NCAA Division I titles, Pat Smith (Oklahoma St.), Cael Sanderson, (Iowa St.) and Kyle Dake (Cornell).

Shel Harper added to this discussion on February 18, 2015

Exactly. That match had a ton of sheer drama, as a preview of what these two guys were about to accomplish. And it ain't over yet.

William Danforth added to this discussion on February 18, 2015

Looking mighty young.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next