Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Iowa at Minnesota tonight
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 30, 2015

Excited to watch. Noticed it's starting at 65, seems like MN found a way to have Ness bat clean-up.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 30, 2015

Iowa smoking Minny.

Moore pins Kingsley
Evans over Storley
Brooks over Pfarr
Schiller over Burak
Telford over Kroells.

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on January 31, 2015

Has OSU ever even came close to a packed house? I always see Minnesota, Iowa and penn state sale out.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on January 31, 2015

What would Big Ten wrestling be without some controversy?

Storley-Evans. I thought Evans had the TD immediately. But what a tough, close call. When I rewatch it at some point, I may reverse.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on January 31, 2015

Quote from Brian Morrow's post:

"Has OSU ever even came close to a packed house? I always see Minnesota, Iowa and penn state sale out."

I don't think so. I thought the largest crowd was a couple of years ago against Iowa. Also, on a similar note, I was at the meet in Norwalk and it would be great if we could get that kind of atmosphere in St Johns. That Iowa meet is really the only one I can remember where the fans were literally losing their minds during the matches. It seems to get so quite sometimes during the matches. You watch Iowa and Penn State when they are at home and you can see the crowd lift the wrestlers up when they need a crucial escape or takedown. That happened at Norwalk in Bo's match. Not often enough imo at St Johns.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 31, 2015

Well Penn State's arena only holds about 5000/5500, so it's a bit easier to sell out. They have filled their basketball arena before, though, for big meets.

The Ohio State attendance this year has been quite good, in my opinion, and the average attendance has seemed to grow steadily in the last few years according to my eye balls. I would guess that they have averaged ~5k this year, which is pretty good. Winning titles the way PSU and Iowa have would boost attendance significantly, me thinks.

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on January 31, 2015

It just surprises me how big wrestling is in ohio yet we never sell out. Seems like Iowa and Minnesota do every match.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on February 1, 2015

"It just surprises me how big wrestling is in ohio yet we never sell out. Seems like Iowa and Minnesota do every match."

I don't believe Iowa and Minn "sell out" every match. But no doubt, they continue to draw better than we do, believe last year's attendance rankings had them #s 1 and 3 to our 6. But we've taken significant strides in this regard, and I like where we're heading. In the end, I guess all we can do is spread the word, and of course put our $$ where our mouth is. With that in mind, I plan on making a 2.5 hour trek on Friday, with full carload, for Friday's match against Minn. Go Bucks.

Last edited by Casey Talbott on February 1, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on February 1, 2015

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"What would Big Ten wrestling be without some controversy?

Storley-Evans. I thought Evans had the TD immediately. But what a tough, close call. When I
rewatch it at some point, I may reverse."

Steve:

Here's the Youtube clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mAREMvtWEA

I know there have been rule changes geared toward awarding the aggressor, largely negating "reaction time" and the requisite need for true control. But this call made me shake my head. I don't see any semblance of "control" by Evans, but rather continuous movement by Storley who rolled through and came out on top, in clear control, darn well may have had the fall. To the extent this call is in fact supported by rule, I think the rule should be changed, don't believe it's good for the sport. In fact I showed this clip to a couple of friends who aren't real familiar with the sport, and they basically laughed out loud when I told them that Evans won here.

Staff added to this discussion on February 1, 2015

"It just surprises me how big wrestling is in ohio yet we never sell out. Seems like Iowa and Minnesota do every match."

Brian: No more overrated state when it comes to attending events. We constantly fail to show esp. in the northeast--the so called "hotbed." Our kids can wrestle but it seems as if the actual interest in the sport only extends to watching our own. The Cleveland area in particular does a terrible job of showing up.

Ohio State draws good crowds so kudos to the central Ohio fans. Unfortunately, St. Johns is not an ideal venue. It's too cavernous.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on February 1, 2015

Casey,

I was able to view a replay on BTNtogo which has a slow motion feature. Couple with the pause button you can almost go frame by frame. The two opposing angles provided, combined together, supports your contention. Storley began his counter (intentionally or instinctively) while upright and he provided the finishing momentum (begun by Evans) for the position.

► Add to the Discussion