Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Discussion Topic: OSU vs. Minnesota
Casey Talbott added to this discussion on February 7, 2015

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Anyone else that was there notice the coaches reaction when Snyder out Schiller on his feet to start the third? Thatcher was looking around like who told him to do that they wanted him to try and ride him. He could have easily won by 4-6 pts.

Logan was in zero trouble of that match till the last 30 seconds. He looked totally gassed."

Snyder could have "easily" won by 4 to 6 points?
Guess I'm not following that.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on February 7, 2015

[quote="James Kessen"] He could have easily won by 4-6 pts. /quote]

A massive overstatement.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 7, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Just want to mention how blown away I am by Kyle Snyder. For a true frosh to perform at this level against really good, experienced big men is amazing."

I was impressed by our 3 freshmen, but Kyle never had the luxury of a RS season, what an incredible athlete. When I saw him at Ironman 2 years ago I thought he had some "baby fat" on him; not any more!!

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on February 7, 2015

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"so as i read the scoring sequence, if accurate, Dardanes kicked Logan out for the winning point with 6 seconds left because the scorekeeper had the score wrong. It was actually 9-9, but the scorer showed it 9-8 Logan leading.

a neutral fan might conclude that with Logan looking gassed that the odds are Logan loses in OT if the score had been shown correctly, 9-9 with 6 seconds left."

Maybe Logan would have figured out a way to get the TD in the first 60 second overtime. Tough to say, and I'm far from neutral.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 7, 2015

1) Bucks lost three duals this year in excruciating fashion--two on criteria while missing key wrestlers and a third due to an injury timeout. If Karma played a role in helping Stieber, then Bucks were due.

2) It's quite possible that Logan would have wrestled differently if the score had been different. He may have allowed points to be scored simply because he assumed he had the extra point.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on February 7, 2015

I just felt the ref was very quick with both stalling calls on Logan. The third period was tough to watch.

William Danforth added to this discussion on February 7, 2015

The ref is Kevin Linich who wrestled for University School around 2000. He works both HS and College events. Kevin was an Ironman official this year. Looks like he is at the Edinboro Open today. He does a good job.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 7, 2015

Quote from Casey Talbott's post:

"

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Anyone else that was there notice the coaches reaction when Snyder out Schiller on his feet to start the third? Thatcher was looking around like who told him to do that they wanted him to try and ride him. He could have easily won by 4-6 pts.

Logan was in zero trouble of that match till the last 30 seconds. He looked totally gassed."

Snyder could have "easily" won by 4 to 6 points?
Guess I'm not following that."

I don't know if you were there or not but i thought Snyder controled the match and was in deep a 3-4 times and just counldnt finish but if he finds away to finish a couple I those he wins by 4 or so.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 7, 2015

Guys, let's just "man up" and admit Dardanes got screwed by the scorekeeper on Ohio States home mat.

"fairness" is a BIG word in sports, let's have clean hands, let's show class. ...s/BobP

Mark Martin, Sr. added to this discussion on February 8, 2015

Everybody was confused with the score but as a wrestler you should always know your score my son has been trained in that since elementary

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 8, 2015

Mr Martin,
in the 60s this would be called a COPOUT, today its bussines as usual. --- truth, Dardanes was scerwed.

David Rourke added to this discussion on February 8, 2015

""...Kyle never had the luxury of a RS season...""

IMO, I think a year at the Olympic training center would more than qualify as a RS season...

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 8, 2015

Quote from David Rourke's post:

"

""...Kyle never had the luxury of a RS season...""

IMO, I think a year at the Olympic training center would more than qualify as a RS season..."

Point accepted. I shouldn't even try to justify anything about this kid. His wrestling speaks for itself.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on February 8, 2015

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Mr Martin,
in the 60s this would be called a COPOUT, today its bussines as usual. --- truth, Dardanes was scerwed."

I'll agree that if the situation were reversed I'd be a bit upset. However, I wouldn't be upset simply at the situation but at the fact that despite having quite a few coaches matside for us NONE of them were actually keeping up with the indicated score. All were only focused on the wrestling and yelling instructions despite the fact the wrestler can only process the info from one at a time.
Yes, Dardanes got "screwed" but he was also let down by his coaches. There is NO REASON why at least one of them shouldn't have been up on the score and have caught the fact that the stalling point was not reflected on the score board (considering this occurred w/ about 30 seconds left in the match).
When I coached at Cedar Rapids Prairie High School as an assistant we each knew our roles during a dual meet. We didn't need 5 coaches yelling at the wrestler. Someone needed to make sure the score was always correct, the time was correct, and things such as that didn't slip past us so that when it counted most we could make sure our wrestler was not relying on faulty information to make match altering decisions.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on February 8, 2015

To move from the 60s to the 80s terminology, while we all recognize that the scorekeeper was responsible for the mistake, is it accurate to say the scorekeeper is solely accountable? No way, as that would also be a cop-out.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next