Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Discussion Topic: OSU vs. Minnesota
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 5, 2015

JDJ definitely looked like a victim of wt cutting blues in his loss at Rutgers.

Anyone else notice that Zane Richards got beat by Sabatello the same day?

BT is tough and doubly so when you're cutting too much.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 5, 2015

Jason when will you be giving your detailed breakdown of the match?

John DiJulius added to this discussion on February 5, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"JDJ definitely looked like a victim of wt cutting blues in his loss at Rutgers.

BT is tough and doubly so when you're cutting too much."

Honestly, Johnni said he felt great on sunday the entire match. Give the rutger's kid credit, great game plan, kept it close enough to where anything can happen and the breaks fell his way.

Most people think Johnni's biggest weakness his entire college career has been his one dimensional offense on his feet. That isn't it, it is his diet and weight cutting. It has been deplorable. That is why he has started off well all three years, only to finish poorly. he got weaker as the season went on. Someone once said if the NCAA's were in December, he would be a threat for the title. This year he has made a complete turnaround and is extremely focused on eating healthy and cutting properly. Which is why he has been more consistent this deep into the season. Let's hope it pays off in the coming weeks. Otherwise i will have to petition to have the NCAA tournament in December.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 5, 2015

Quote from John DiJulius's post:

"...Most people think Johnni's biggest weakness his entire college career has been his one dimensional offense on his feet. That isn't it, it is his diet and weight cutting. It has been deplorable. That is why he has started off well all three years, only to finish poorly. he got weaker as the season went on. Someone once said if the NCAA's were in December, he would be a threat for the title. This year he has made a complete turnaround and is extremely focused on eating healthy and cutting properly. Which is why he has been more consistent this deep into the season. Let's hope it pays off in the coming weeks. Otherwise i will have to petition to have the NCAA tournament in December."

Do you think a move to 141 next year is likely? Also, if he struggles to hold the weight over a long period of time, what about using back-ups as spot starters and letting him have fewer matches, particularly duals. Have him strong and healthy in march rather than December?

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

"...Most people think Johnni's biggest weakness his entire college career has been his one dimensional offense on his feet. That isn't it, it is his diet and weight cutting. It has been deplorable. That is why he has started off well all three years, only to finish poorly. he got weaker as the season went on. Someone once said if the NCAA's were in December, he would be a threat for the title. This year he has made a complete turnaround and is extremely focused on eating healthy and cutting properly. Which is why he has been more consistent this deep into the season. Let's hope it pays off in the coming weeks. Otherwise i will have to petition to have the NCAA tournament in December."

Do you think a move to 141 next year is likely? Also, if he struggles to hold the weight over a long period of time, what about using back-ups as spot starters and letting him have fewer matches, particularly duals. Have him strong and healthy in march rather than December?"

It's not the weight cut, he isn't cutting that much. he isn't that big for 133. he would have this problem if he wrestled 157. it's he was literally a junk food addict, he didn't know how to eat well and diet well. he would eat junk food after weigh inns non stop till mondays and then not eat a thing until the next weigh in. every kid has their demons. on the positive side, he has never gotten into trouble or even had a sip of alcohol in his entire life. this sport more than any other will punish you if you don't take care of what you are putting into your body.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 5, 2015

Gotcha. That makes sense. I'm sure the transition to college was quite a culture shock for him. You can do that in high school (even with Walsh's schedule) where the majority of your matches are wrestlers you can dominate. I hope he has it under control, not just for a successful wrestling career, but for his life after wrestling. I know I've struggled with weight issues since I stopped wrestling competitively. Old habits die hard.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 5, 2015

JDJ, Sr: He's so thin I just assumed that he was making a huge cut. Appreciate the info.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 5, 2015

I thought I liked Johnni. Nope...I love him!

I, too, suffer from junk-food-itis. I'd list my weakness in this area but one can only post so many characters.

Perhaps one day, we can comatose in a candy aisle together. It's really not that big of a deal. After the tird or fourth time, the clerks deal well with it.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 5, 2015

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"JDJ definitely looked like a victim of wt cutting blues in his loss at Rutgers.

BT is tough and doubly so when you're cutting too much."

Honestly, Johnni said he felt great on sunday the entire match. Give the rutger's kid credit, great game plan, kept it close enough to where anything can happen and the breaks fell his way.

Most people think Johnni's biggest weakness his entire college career has been his one dimensional offense on his feet. That isn't it, it is his diet and weight cutting. It has been deplorable. That is why he has started off well all three years, only to finish poorly. he got weaker as the season went on. Someone once said if the NCAA's were in December, he would be a threat for the title. This year he has made a complete turnaround and is extremely focused on eating healthy and cutting properly. Which is why he has been more consistent this deep into the season. Let's hope it pays off in the coming weeks. Otherwise i will have to petition to have the NCAA tournament in December."

This is a great example of how far off base we can be on forums. We make a lot of assumptions that are not true. Not a putdown to Hank. Just a reminder that when we are not in the situation 1st hand, we really don't know what we don't know. It would be easy for John to get offended and "go off". I appreciate the example of leadership here on how to share personal known facts without getting offended. This is a piece of what also makes this particular forum exceptional.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 5, 2015

"

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

Do you think a move to 141 next year is likely? Also, if he struggles to hold the weight over a long period of time, what about using back-ups as spot starters and letting him have fewer matches, particularly duals. Have him strong and healthy in march rather than December?"

It's not the weight cut, he isn't cutting that much. he isn't that big for 133. he would have this problem if he wrestled 157. it's he was literally a junk food addict, he didn't know how to eat well and diet well. he would eat junk food after weigh inns non stop till mondays and then not eat a thing until the next weigh in. every kid has their demons. on the positive side, he has never gotten into trouble or even had a sip of alcohol in his entire life. this sport more than any other will punish you if you don't take care of what you are putting into your body."

Explains a lot. Managing carb or sugar issues when you're the second guy up in a dual probably isn't bad. Trying to do that in a two or three day tournament would be next to impossible.

Mark Martin, Sr. added to this discussion on February 5, 2015

Yep I agree mark gets weaker as the season goes on as well but his is he's still growing and just not going his optimal weight and I'm a health nut so I know what and how to eat I do everyday,if they want to make it healthy and fair have mat side weigh ins.but to add to Johns post it's plenty of wrestlers that have one thing on there feet but if your strong enough and good enough you will be successful look at Burroughs,

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"
This is a great example of how far off base we can be on forums. We make a lot of assumptions that are not true. Not a putdown to Hank. Just a reminder that when we are not in the situation 1st hand, we really don't know what we don't know. It would be easy for John to get offended and "go off". I appreciate the example of leadership here on how to share personal known facts without getting offended. This is a piece of what also makes this particular forum exceptional."

I didn't think it was a dig at Johnni at all. I don't want anyone to hold back because some parents post. Hell sometimes i want to come on here and rip em.

Last edited by John DiJulius on February 5, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 5, 2015

Quote from Mark Martin, Sr.'s post:

"Yep I agree mark gets weaker as the season goes on as well but his is he's still growing and just not going his optimal weight and I'm a health nut so I know what and how to eat I do everyday,if they want to make it healthy and fair have mat side weigh ins.but to add to Johns post it's plenty of wrestlers that have one thing on there feet but if your strong enough and good enough you will be successful look at Burroughs,"

, . . . . ; - , !

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 5, 2015

I did not think it was a dig either. I was making the point that we don't always know the truth when we're not standing right there beside the competitors.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 5, 2015

http://www.wrestlestats.com/Team/DualComparison/42/minnesota/55/ohio-state

this site compares results of common oppenents

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next