Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Discussion Topic: Tough Topic: Hunter or Micah?
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 30, 2015

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"I don't think there is any way they pull Micah out of redshirt. I know it is easy to think this is their best shot at a title with an almost guaranteed champ in Logan, but won't they be even better with Micah in next year? Obviously they will lose a lot of points from Logan, but two Jordans, NaTo, SNyder, Demas, Hunter, Courts, etc. WOW! Save th young Buck! This is not his best option for success."

Good point, Luke.

I like the "shooting at a moving target" comment; it best describes how I'm trying to process the situation.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 30, 2015

Luke did not wrestle after that match. One and done.

McCoy was a sophomore and moved up from 190 as a freshman. He was winning all his matches but only weighed 220 and it was only January. He would end up going undefeated and winning NCAAs that year. We had just started the big ten dual season.

Luke's schedule was busy without wrestling practice and he was still meeting all the requirements of Spring football training. So, he had a two hour window of free time mid morning to wrestle. I was wrestling him and he was in football shape. He was outstanding for a couple minutes and then became challenged by lactic acid. If you recall the match he almost scored a takedown on McCoy in the beginning, but gassed soon after and his position deteriorated as the match went on. Anyway, I knew he was juggling a lot of stuff and wrestling was the extra. He only had the time to be partially committed and I don't think it was rewarding for him.

Why would he call it quits after losing to McCoy. I felt the same way about mma fighting. I was never fully committed to it. When you lose, it makes you call into question why you are doing something and what you are willing to sacrifice to make something happen. Wrestling is not a part time endeavor. Neither is fighting. Neither is football.

If your goal is to be great, it takes everything and anything short of that is just not worth doing. So, I took liberty in thinking I understand the way he thought at the time.

Last edited by Rex Holman on January 30, 2015; edited 2 times in total

Randy Lewis was a returning NCAA champion for Iowa when he dislocated his elbow in a dual against Iowa State (Jim Gibbons). I am recalling this from AWN days and reading it as a kid.

He came back and wrestled the rest of the season with a good arm and a heavily taped arm. He finished as an AA with a compromised arm. Awesome accomplishment maybe even better than winning a title when healthy.

Came across this today after posting about attempting to be great at something. Easy to get choked up after reading the article.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/29/2015-super-bowl-new-england-patriots-nate-ebner

“I’m kind of in limbo with rugby, and the football thing is lingering,” says Ebner. He decided to try to walk on with the Buckeyes. He called his dad to run it by him. Jeff was all for it. “But,” he told his son, “if you’re gonna do this, do it full go. You’ve got to give it everything you have, no distractions, no club rugby on the side. Pour everything you have into it, and let’s see where it can take you.”
The day after he offered that advice, Jeff was assaulted. He died in the hospital a day later.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5