Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Tough Topic: Hunter or Micah?
Don Bork added to this discussion on January 26, 2015

Hunter only competes if it is determined that there will be no negative effect on his senior year. If he is unable to do so, Languis should be representing TOSU at 149. Those who should be asked to step up are Randy and each of the other nine starters. We have third and fourth year guys on this team. let's not put the weight of winning a national championship on a redshirting freshman, regardless of his pedigree.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 27, 2015

if Micah is needed now, can contribute and is our best available then no doubt he is the man for the job now.

2 of my homeboyz ranked up there, from West Park area of Cleveland, by InterMat David Habat 1 at 149 this week, Nick Sulzer 2 at 165.

as the late great Joe Agozzino used to say, "West Park rules". i miss that guy.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 27, 2015

Bob: Great what Habat has done this year. Impressive in his 2nd place at Midlands.

Just don't know what to think about 149. If Hunter has "serious physical" problems like TR indicated, shut him down. He isn't scoring many points at NCAAs if seriously hurt and he does have next year.

As far as Micah, he has spent the whole year in shirt. Should be his call, in consultation with his father and coaches. 149 is pretty wide open so it must be tempting.

As with the football team, when a big gun goes down someone has to pull the weight. The difference is there is no one else on the mat with you to cover your mistakes.

Hunter's points can be made up with incremental improvements at other weights, even if Micah doesn't wrestle. 141 should win with a lot of bonus. 197 is clearly in the hunt. 125, 133, 157, and 165 are all legit top 4 candidates, with 165 a possible finalist with some bonus. 184 could AA. 7 AAs with one champ could do it.

I also think JDJ pulls off the big enchilada, which would help. I really enjoy watching him wrestle this year. More aggressive and flat out tougher. Has his style and sticks with it. And can WT3, huge in the tourney.

i don't get it? maybe its just me, how i think but --

unless Ryan verbally promised Micah a RS --and btw a verbal promise from the head coach is not official, its not in the Grant In Aid that a recruit signs-- then its next man up.

There is a Team to be considered, a team that has worked very hard to put itself in position to win it all. This may be the best opportunity if u look at Logan leaving and Penn St re-loading next season.

If u r on that Team then your individual preferances don't take precedence-- its next man up if u r needed. (and i have no idea what Micah or anyone elses preferences are, i speak for no one).

Lincoln McIlravy freshmen year he won the NCAA title. Gable brought him out of redshirt late in season to help the team -- at Iowa its team, team, team. ..s/BobP

John Ice added to this discussion on January 27, 2015

Bob- what do you put the odds at that Hunter wrestles in the Big Tens?

Quote from John Ice's post:

"Bob- what do you put the odds at that Hunter wrestles in the Big Tens?"

i have no idea, but he hasnt been able to perform so far, what would change that?

at some date, ohio st coaches will have to commit to one guy and hope he is their best choice.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 27, 2015

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

" This may be the best opportunity if u look at Logan leaving and Penn St re-loading next season."

I thought to RS Retherford was a great move by Cael. In 2016 you'll cleared out Logan, Carter, Port & Dardanes at 141, who's left? Ashnault perhaps? The 4 guys who could beat Retherford will be gone.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 27, 2015

"i don't get it? maybe its just me, how i think but --

unless Ryan verbally promised Micah a RS --and btw a verbal promise from the head coach is not official, its not in the Grant In Aid that a recruit signs-- then its next man up. "

You're kidding, right? I would love to see the Buckeyes win a team championship. But the reality is we keep team scores but if you've ever wrestled you know it is, at its heart, one man vs. one man.

Pull Micah from his shirt to win the title? Promise me that happens and I will bet he does it. He may do it anyway because he strikes me as a competitor. However, next man up is Languis. He is a senior. He has a big heart. Let's expect more from him. That is a better analogy to Braxton-JT-Cardale than sucking down a freshman in a weight class with a returning champ.

This is an individual sport in which we keep team scores. When Logan gets out there and helps him get a takedown I will agree with you.

And I will guarantee you TR will keep any promise he makes, official or not.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 28, 2015

Roe, no i'm "not kiding" as u put it. Why u so irritated?

Posters are discussing possible options if Hunter becomes unavailable. Micah or Jake could challenge for 149, thats truth.

its next man up IF need be. Micah has to be a possibility. He is already wrestling at 149, won Appalachian St open last weekend at 149, 22-0 this season. Jake another possibility is 22-3.

BTW, ive known Ryan since his early days at Hofstra when he recruited Ohio. He'll tell u that i first turned him on to Mike Pucillo. i know his word is good. ...s/BobP

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 28, 2015

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"...next man up is Languis...."

^^^This. Languis is a senior who won the wrestle off against Jordan. I don't understand why fans are jumping to Jordan as the answer here. I hope Hunter Stieber is healthy enough to go and perform at the level he is accustomed to. If he can, he has as good a shot as anyone to win 149. If not, then a one-armed Stieber is still better than anyone tOSU has on the bench (bringing up the depth issue that has plagued Ohio State for decades). If the injury is such that he risks further damage, then shut him down, call the surgeon and go with Languis, period.

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

^^^This. Languis is a senior who won the wrestle off against Jordan. I don't understand why fans are jumping to Jordan as the answer here. "

wrestle off months ago is not same as today-- let chips fall where they may today if a replacemnt needed, thats all fans are saying.

if a kid isn't ready for this level of competition then Ryan wont wrestle him. Micah would have to wrestle Jake off too. Not jumping to Micah, as i read it fans are merely exploring possibilities.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 28, 2015

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

"

^^^This. Languis is a senior who won the wrestle off against Jordan. I don't understand why fans are jumping to Jordan as the answer here. "

wrestle off months ago is not same as today-- let chips fall where they may today if a replacemnt needed, thats all fans are saying.

if a kid isn't ready for this level of competition then Ryan wont wrestle him. Micah would have to wrestle Jake off too. Not jumping to Micah, as i read it fans are merely exploring possibilities."

My assumption is that Languis would be at 149. Bob, you are the one that said Micah and Jake would wrestle off if there is an opening at 149. What we're not clear on is if you mean instead of Languis or is that if Languis were injured? That's the only clarification I think most of us are looking for.

obviously i meant Micah & Jake were now available at 149. -- i'm done on the subject, we all know what situation is among Hunter, Languis, Micah & Jake.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 28, 2015

Surprising to me that people truly believe Languis would be the best/most competitive option. We all know that a wrestle off for a True FR 3 weeks into the season isn't relevant to 3 months later.

If they were both upper classmen, yes. In this case, that match has little to do with current status.

Not to mention the staff watches them wrestle every day. Plenty of material to make an educated decision, the least of which is a match from October.

Edit to say the following:

- Clearly, a healthy Hunter would be awesome and a high AA.

- If the coaches want to maintain Micah's and Jake's RS, certainly Languis is a solid option.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 28, 2015

"

^^^This. Languis is a senior who won the wrestle off against Jordan. I don't understand why fans are jumping to Jordan as the answer here. I hope Hunter Stieber is healthy enough to go and perform at the level he is accustomed to. If he can, he has as good a shot as anyone to win 149. If not, then a one-armed Stieber is still better than anyone tOSU has on the bench (bringing up the depth issue that has plagued Ohio State for decades). If the injury is such that he risks further damage, then shut him down, call the surgeon and go with Languis, period."

I like Randy but I doubt he qualifies to nationals the B10 is pretty deep at 149 and he is at the bottom end.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next