Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Tough Topic: Hunter or Micah?
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 24, 2015

If Hunter's injury doesn't heal sufficiently, what is your opinion in regard to who should wrestle 149 lbs. in order to increase the possibility of winning a National Championship this year?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 24, 2015

Well, the coaches certainly have a better idea of where Micah is right now than I do. He has done well winning open tournaments this year, but hasn't wrestled much competition that would be representative of the NCAA tournament, so it's tough to gauge what he would do. His two most well-known opponents would be Danishek (numerous times) and Chisko, both fellow true freshmen. Those matches have all had tight scores.

If I'm making the decision (I'm obviously not), I don't pull his redshirt unless I'm confident he can place top 6 at NCAAs. The reason for that is that, unless you're collecting a lot of bonus points (and Micah hasn't bonused in many matches this year against sub-NCAA tourney competition), you don't start getting many team points until you hit #6 (9 points). If you're round of 12, you only get 2 points for your team. If you finish 7th or 8th, you get 5.5 or 6.5 points, respectively.

It's not that 2, 5.5, or 6.5 points couldn't be the difference between a team title, but you don't know that they will be, and if you only think the guy can squeak out 7th or 8th, there's also a pretty good chance he'll fall short.

So I'm probably not pulling his RS at this point in the year unless he's blowing my socks off in the room. Maybe he is doing just that.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on January 24, 2015

I agree w/ Ben here. If Hunter can't go anymore, will Micah give the Buckeyes a significant gain over who is currently there? Burning a red shirt is a high price to pay if there isn't a significant return gained in the process.
I don't know where Micah is in his development curve so I obviously can't say w/ any real confidence what should be done. However, based on what I can observe I believe it to be best to keep Micah as a RS and go w/ who we've got.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on January 24, 2015

Can Micah "legally" go 149? Hasn't his competition been at 157 in terms of the open's?

One would have hoped that Languis would show more form than he has. Based on last year he was headed towards being a top 20-ish guy -- obviously not enough to impact at nationals, but still something positive.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on January 24, 2015

Micah won the Purple Raider open last week and the App State open this week, both at 149.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on January 24, 2015

Shows you how little attention I've been paying to college opens. I knew he was at 157 earlier (do I have that right, at least?)

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 24, 2015

Yes you do. He won earlier opens at 157.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 25, 2015

Interesting topic. Does Micah want to give up his redshirt season? How does his Dad feel about it? Jeff Jordan runs the best high school program in Ohio and is one of the most influential youth coaches in the nation. I would not pull Micah's redshirt unless both he and his son were ok with it.

I wish were Hunter were healthy. His injury is a shame but dealing with it appropriately is more important than winning an NCAA title.

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on January 25, 2015

I think the most important thing to consider is that Hunter was beating, and soundly, a young man who just took out the defending national champion. Now, not being sure if Hunter has further aggravated his injury or sustained a new one, I can only summate that a slightly injured Hunter is better than a healthy Mic. Not implying that Micah can't succeed, just that Hunter HAS and knows what to expect. Hunter is the same Hunter that we have grown to love and appreciate for his hard nose and ability to pull out matches. He's been doing it since iron man his freshman year in high school, let alone his accomplishments before high school. He is a winner, winners don't forget how to win. Let's take a step back and let the process work.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 25, 2015

Liam: Hunter is obviously in a lot of pain and significantly injured. Otherwise, why not take the mat against Michigan, MSU or Indiana? It seems that everyone is hoping he'll somehow be able to compete with the injury but I don't get the sense that it's good for him to do it. We all want to see the Bucks win a team title and I'm sure that includes Hunter. But how high is the price one pays? Having Hunter compete while in severe pain? Burning Micah's redshirt? Those are the difficult questions that the team faces. It's important to come up with the right answers.

And I don't know what they are. But I'd be very careful if I were Coach Ryan. There are bigger issues than winning and losing IMO.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 25, 2015

The MOST important factor to consider is Hunter. Hunter's health is 1st and foremost. If he is injured to the point that he cannot recover prior to B1Gs, he needs to be shut down. He cannot and should not be asked to shoulder the team title (and I doubt that he is be asked to do so, though he may personally feel like he is). His health should be the 1st priority for the 149 class in the Buckeyes wrestling room. If he can't go, he can't go.

And while he wrestled well against Sorenson, he still lost. He lost because, even if he is the best 149 in the nation, he likely can't win a title or even AA injured. Logan likely could not win with the same injury. We far to often take for granted just how good all of these wrestlers are. Even though you see top guys winning by big margins on the score board, they are not that great of margins on the mat....especially if the top guy is injured.

As for Languis vs the Mongoose, well, Ben probably said it best. First, the coaches at tOSU are pretty sharp guys. So let's not second guess everything they do (especially before they have even made a decision). Micah would have to be just destroying Languis in the room right now for them to pull his RS. And as Ben said, they would have to assume he was going to score A LOT of points in March if they are going to pull the RS.

I wonder if dropping to 149 was Micah's idea. He's a competitor. Of course he believes he should be wrestling varsity right now. That's how all competitors think. You wouldn't want him in the room otherwise. I suspect it has been obvious that Hunter is struggling to the point that he will not complete the season with this injury. I don't know this, I'm just guessing Micah's competitive spirit wants to take a swing at filling the spot.

I'd imagine Micah does feel he can AA. Why? I remember his dad ripping me a knew one at camp the summer after my 8th grade season. Jeff asked me what my goal for my freshman season was. I told him I wanted to be a state qualifier. Subsequently I got a 10 minute lecture about why my goal should be to be a state champion, not a state qualifier. He finished by telling me if I want to hit the moon, I have to shoot for the stars. The point being, Micah has been raised and trained with this mind-set from day one. I'm sure he believes he can be on the podium at 149. That being said, I believe he will take his swing and be satisfied with whatever the coaches feel is best for the team, and for Micah's future.

Last, I'm not sure how deep the Buckeyes are at 149. This could be a precaution in the event that Languis were injured along the way. Not sure...

As for the team title, we can't forget we have radio silence on Tav's situation as well. Losing his points are also huge.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 25, 2015

yes Micah at 149, yes he could be in lineup however facts are:

1 it hasnt yet been determined that Hunter is done for the season.

2 Micah AND a guy named Jake Ryan will wrestleoff if theres an opening to fill at 149.

John DiJulius added to this discussion on January 25, 2015

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"
I'd imagine Micah does feel he can AA. Why? I remember his dad ripping me a knew one at camp the summer after my 8th grade season. Jeff asked me what my goal for my freshman season was. I told him I wanted to be a state qualifier. Subsequently I got a 10 minute lecture about why my goal should be to be a state champion, not a state qualifier. He finished by telling me if I want to hit the moon, I have to shoot for the stars. The point being, Micah has been raised and trained with this mind-set from day one. I'm sure he believes he can be on the podium at 149. That being said, I believe he will take his swing and be satisfied with whatever the coaches feel is best for the team, and for Micah's future. "

How'd ya do your freshman year?

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 25, 2015

Quote from John DiJulius's post:

"

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"
I'd imagine Micah does feel he can AA. Why? I remember his dad ripping me a knew one at camp the summer after my 8th grade season. Jeff asked me what my goal for my freshman season was. I told him I wanted to be a state qualifier. Subsequently I got a 10 minute lecture about why my goal should be to be a state champion, not a state qualifier. He finished by telling me if I want to hit the moon, I have to shoot for the stars. The point being, Micah has been raised and trained with this mind-set from day one. I'm sure he believes he can be on the podium at 149. That being said, I believe he will take his swing and be satisfied with whatever the coaches feel is best for the team, and for Micah's future. "

How'd ya do your freshman year?"

District Runner-up. Lost at Regionals (have to be top 2 in Region back then to qualify for State Tourney). Meh....sucking waaay too much weight. Brakeman had me ranked #12. Did not get to the moon....

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on January 25, 2015

Any chance that they have had Micah competing at 149 lately to gauge his ability there in the event of this exact scenario?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next