Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: RIP Gene Weiss
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 17, 2015

Gene Weiss was a state champion for Shaker during the early 1950's.

He later went on to become a Pro wrestling referee and was for many years the chair of the Ohio boxing commission.

During the 1970's he started a chain of health clubs at a time when this was a brand new idea. In addition, he is generally recognized as the founder of the first significant wrestling camp in Ohio--The Ohio School of Wrestling--also during the 1970's.

He was quite an entrepreneur as well as a generally recognized expert on combat sports in the state.

On a personal note, he played a huge role in my involvement in wrestling as my older brother went to elementary school with one of his sons. Gene Weiss used to come to my brother's elementary school and teach moves to the kids. As a result, my older brother went to the Ohio School of Wrestling for one week over the summer in 1972. He dragged me with him and that became my first involvement in the sport.

FWIW--I hated the camp and the sport. But when I arrived at school for 3rd grade, everyone thought I was tough because I went to wrestling camp. I got a kick out of people thinking I was a tough guy and started doing it on a regular basis beginning in 7th grade.

My condolences to all the family and friends of Gene Weiss.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion