Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Discussion Topic: Wrestling Anonymous: Introductions Are In Order!
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 4, 2015

I have seen a handful of new names popping up throughout the discussions on here. Don't forget to tell your story here.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 4, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"I have seen a handful of new names popping up throughout the discussions on here. Don't forget to tell your story here."

Hear! Hear!

This is good stuff.

John Flanigan added to this discussion on February 4, 2015

"John F: wife of 22 years, huh? I can dig it!

Oh, and Jason F...while your down there, #BringBackClemsonWrestling - I heart Sammie Henson!!!"

I keep telling her that she is the luckiest and smartest woman I know. Maybe she'll believe me one day.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on February 4, 2015

Welcome aboard John and Jason!

Steve Lester added to this discussion on February 5, 2015

Ach. Sort of feel like an interloper. Anyway,

Walked into the wrestling team at Cleveland West, as a soph, thinking I was tough after a stint of JV football. I was about to learn. Got the starting 127 spot due to injury, and proceeded to get pinned by Ohio's first JUCO champ-to-be (Gary Hosta of John Marshall). Stalled my way to no further pins and was one-time sectional qualifier. Sidelined when family moved to Lakewood the following December. Went from junior class of 60 to wandering around in a class of over 800. Became an amateur observer when 9 months later, somehow, I got to be sports editor of Lakewood High's school paper. That almost immediately led to one of life's more embarrassing moments, but that's a story for elsewhere.

Mike Shaughnessy added to this discussion on February 11, 2015

I've been lurking on the forum for a year now, thought it was about time I joined. I'm another 4x sectional qualifier but still have a love for the sport. My son Connor wrestled at Mayfield and showed me up with a fine HS career, 100+ wins and a trip to state.

A lot of the kids my son wrestled with in school are doing well in college, great to watch these kids grow over the years.

Cory Surles added to this discussion on February 11, 2015

I'm bored so I Guess I will add my bio..My name is Cory Surles....formally known as Cory Norvell in the wrestling circle. I changed my name in honor of my dad who passed away in 2010. Although it was an established name, I thought it was no greater way to honor my dad by changing it. (Thought I would answer it before I was asked).

Now for wrestling. I wrestled for Dayton Dunbar a city school in Dayton. I didn't start to wrestle until 8th grade where i didn't even have ten matches. But anyway I played 4 sports in high school football,wrestling,baseball and track. Only sport i played out of season was baseball. I felt like I could make the impact in wrestling. So I set little goals year by year. Our team was never ranked, we never had a state qualifier, team championship, or a sectional champ. Luckily we had our best coaches in team history Nick Reiter and Steve Easterling. Nick thought most of the technique and to this day I credit him with making me the man I am today.

I wrestled for Dayton Dunbar. It's a public school in Dayton known more for basketball, track, and a occasional good football player or two. I was the first and only wrestler in my schools history to win a sectional title and wrestle in state. Forfeited my district finals match because I hurt my shoulder in the semis. Got a bad draw. Got a 3 time qualifier in the first round and lost in double ot. He lost 2 the state champ by 3 and that put me out!! Those rules sucked! They would change them the next year! Smh

After high school I went to the army and my first duty station was Germany. I started wrestling freestyle and Greco for a club over there. I went on to win the army freestyle and Greco roman championships at the young age of 19. I was recruited by Olympian Derrick waldoup to wrestle for the army world class athlete program. We won university nationals as a team and that's the only national title under my belt.

Left the army and coached at my old high school for a year. Groomed a MMA fighter and a coach out of that. It's weird that they still called me coach lol

I decided to go college so I went to Wilmington College cause it was the only school I knew I could play more than one sport at. Tried to play football, wrestle, and baseball but they made me choose two! Lol I became an academic all American wrestler and an all conference football player. I never lost more than 7 wrestling matches in a season but somehow never qualified for nationals. Beat plenty of top 5 guys but you had to win our league or qualify. We always had a top 5 guy at my weight (even though I beat them before) could never beat them at the league tournament. Oh and yeah I would play football at 215 and wrestle 3 weeks later at 184.. As I've gotten older I would say my bad eating habits and only wrestling when the season came stopped me from being great eventhough I won over 70 college matches. Had to get surgery on my knee after my senior year of football. Was able to get back before the tournament but I haven't been the same since.

After and during college I helped out at the local high school that had good upper weights to workout with and give them someone to push em

I worked with Carroll high school when they were great early 2000's
I worked with reynoldsburg in Columbus when they were pretty good 2006-2007
I worked with centerville 2007-2008
I worked with Troy Christian 2012-2014 official assistant coach last year
I know work with Wayne middle school and will work with the high school next year

Oh and by the way, look out for Wayne wrestling program to return to glory in the next three years...we will have some studs coming up the ranks here soon!

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on February 11, 2015

Quote from Mike Shaughnessy's post:

"I've been lurking on the forum for a year now, thought it was about time I joined. I'm another 4x sectional qualifier but still have a love for the sport. My son Connor wrestled at Mayfield and showed me up with a fine HS career, 100+ wins and a trip to state.

A lot of the kids my son wrestled with in school are doing well in college, great to watch these kids grow over the years."

Mike,
Good to know you are still out there. Bring your lovely bride to Mentor this year to relive old times. If you do come, let me know and I can leave passes for you.
Jim

Mike Shaughnessy added to this discussion on February 13, 2015

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"
Mike,
Good to know you are still out there. Bring your lovely bride to Mentor this year to relive old times. If you do come, let me know and I can leave passes for you.
Jim"

Jim, we will be at the Big10s that weekend. Will you be working on of the sectional tourneys?

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on February 13, 2015

Quote from Mike Shaughnessy's post:

"

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"
Mike,
Jim"

Jim, we will be at the Big10s that weekend. Will you be working on of the sectional tourneys?"

I will be at Brecksville on that weekend.
Have fun in Columbus.
I head down there later today for some fun tomorrow.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

Bump.

Some of you are playin' possum and not introducing yourselves to the family.

Niemann...Go!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

Olinger - I think he is looking at you. ;-)

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on February 25, 2015

"Olinger - I think he is looking at you. ;-)"

Alright, alright...I will play too. :)

Not much to say really. Began wrestling in the 8th grade in Indiana, then transferred to Ohio my junior year. Finished up my final 2 years at Kettering Fairmont. Had an average career, always just missing out on the state tournament. Junior year, my district took 5 and I finished 6th. Choked in both "go to" matches. Senior year, my knee blew out in the "go to" match and I was done. Had the good fortune of wrestling for 2 guys that played an integral role in the man I became. Chad Dennis and Dave Barden.

After I graduated in 1998 I didn't even think about wrestling for a long time and then in 2008 I reached out to the coach at Fairmont to inquire about getting involved in coaching. One of the best decisions I ever made. Had the pleasure of spending 6 years as an assistant under Frank Baxter and learned more about wrestling during that time than I ever could have imagined. Plus, my passion for the sport came back and has made me an absolute fanatic about wrestling now, especially college wrestling.

I was very fortunate to be on the staff at a time when we had a fantastic group of kids that were coming up in the program. That, combined with the great job that Frank Baxter does at developing kids (both on and off the mat) allowed us to have a good deal of success. We competed in the last State Duals before the switch to the new format. Tied and/or broke the school record for SQ's in a year (twice i believe with 6) and had mutiple state placers including a runner-up who now wrestles for Ohio U and a 3rd placer who wrestles for Stanford.

On top of all that, I forged some great friendships with some great guys who all have the same passion for wrestling. And look forward to our annual trip to the NCAA wrestling tournment. I eventually had to bow out from coaching due to my work schedule.

I don't get to really stay up on the high school wrestling scene as much as like these days but make up for it with time spent watching, tracking and analyzing NCAA wrestling due to the Fantasy Wrestling League I run and have to score manually.

I am married to a woman who I love greatly and probably don't deserve. Have 2 kids (12 year old son and 4 year old daughter) who amaze me everyday.

I am always excited to meet new people have a passion for wrestling. I have lurked on this forum for a few years but have just begun to actually post. Go easy on me!

Last edited by Brandon Olinger on February 25, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 25, 2015

Brandon: Well done!!!

Is Douglas Callinan out that way???

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on February 25, 2015

Mark:

Doug actually is the head coach at one of the middle schools that feed into Fairmont. Van Buren Junior High.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next