Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Discussion Topic: Wrestling Anonymous: Introductions Are In Order!
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 20, 2015

Isn't there a law firm up there named Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe???

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on January 21, 2015

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"

Quote from Brad Proudfoot's post:

"Carrollton High School
Muskingum University
Kent State University
University of Toledo

I wrestled at Carrollton High School for David Tolarchyk. I was a solid if not at times good high school wrestler. I beat some good guys while in high school and lost to some others. I was all conference and a district qualifier, but I never qualified for the state tournament. I didn't wrestle my senior year due to ongoing and at that time misdiagnosed physical issues.

A few years back, I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and have had to change my diet, alter my workout habits, and receive biologic injections regularly. Apparently I was suffering from this all those years. In high school my hands would swell and become so painful that I struggled to use them. This is in addition to the other joints that showed the same outward signs, e.g. my neck and knees. I mention this because I tend to feel for the young men whose careers have succumbed to injury and/or disease. I can easily relate to their plight. We (I include myself in this) can be quick to judge and at times condemn these young men without all of the facts.

In recent years (and thanks to modern science's diagnosis) I have been able to take up bjj and translate my wrestling skills over to this field. I've had moderate success in the "old guys" division winning the IBJJF Pan No Gis. I wish that I had more time to devote to this stuff, but church, family, and work tend to eat up most of my time.

Luckily, I took a job with the law firm of Palecek, McIlvaine, Hoffmann & Morse in Wadsworth, Ohio, so I am in a hotbed of wrestling from Wadsworth High School to Kent State University. I just need to take advantage of all the wrestling related opportunities."

In 93 (I believe you wrestled 135 most the year) what weight did you wrestle against my school (Dover High)? I wrestled (and subsequently got destroyed) the guy from Carrollton who ended up making state at 135 (can't remember his name). My coach had swapped me and the senior (who I had beaten in wrestle offs and who was consequently our normal 135lber) because he wanted to protect the senior from your guy. As a result, the freshman (me) was sacrificed. Just curious how close we came to wrestling each other."

Mike, I did wrestle most of the year at 135. I fell ill late in the season, so I did not compete the last month of the season. T.J. (the senior) dropped to 135 for certification and then the tournament stretch. Thus, we would have wrestled if not for me being ill. If I remember correctly I beat the league champ at 135 earlier in the season.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on January 21, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Isn't there a law firm up there named Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe???"

Well it appears that the dot net has its own version in "Fox, Jackson & Proudfoot". ;)

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 21, 2015

There is a certain panache to that.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on January 21, 2015

"

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"

"Carrollton High School
Muskingum University
Kent State University
University of Toledo

I wrestled at Carrollton High School for David Tolarchyk. I was a solid if not at times good high school wrestler. I beat some good guys while in high school and lost to some others. I was all conference and a district qualifier, but I never qualified for the state tournament. I didn't wrestle my senior year due to ongoing and at that time misdiagnosed physical issues.

A few years back, I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and have had to change my diet, alter my workout habits, and receive biologic injections regularly. Apparently I was suffering from this all those years. In high school my hands would swell and become so painful that I struggled to use them. This is in addition to the other joints that showed the same outward signs, e.g. my neck and knees. I mention this because I tend to feel for the young men whose careers have succumbed to injury and/or disease. I can easily relate to their plight. We (I include myself in this) can be quick to judge and at times condemn these young men without all of the facts.

In recent years (and thanks to modern science's diagnosis) I have been able to take up bjj and translate my wrestling skills over to this field. I've had moderate success in the "old guys" division winning the IBJJF Pan No Gis. I wish that I had more time to devote to this stuff, but church, family, and work tend to eat up most of my time.

Luckily, I took a job with the law firm of Palecek, McIlvaine, Hoffmann & Morse in Wadsworth, Ohio, so I am in a hotbed of wrestling from Wadsworth High School to Kent State University. I just need to take advantage of all the wrestling related opportunities."

In 93 (I believe you wrestled 135 most the year) what weight did you wrestle against my school (Dover High)? I wrestled (and subsequently got destroyed) the guy from Carrollton who ended up making state at 135 (can't remember his name). My coach had swapped me and the senior (who I had beaten in wrestle offs and who was consequently our normal 135lber) because he wanted to protect the senior from your guy. As a result, the freshman (me) was sacrificed. Just curious how close we came to wrestling each other."

Mike, I did wrestle most of the year at 135. I fell ill late in the season, so I did not compete the last month of the season. T.J. (the senior) dropped to 135 for certification and then the tournament stretch. Thus, we would have wrestled if not for me being ill. If I remember correctly I beat the league champ at 135 earlier in the season."

T.J. Reed...that right. I believe Philabaum from Northwestern won the league title that year. If I remember correctly he was losing in the finals and then caught the guy w/ a spladle to win by pin in the 3rd. Very crazy but entertaining match.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 21, 2015

All great and intriguing stories. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

I find it bizarre that two of our posters--Brad Proudfoot and John Ice--suffer from auto immune disease. My wife does as well. Fortunately, like Brad, she is functioning well due to Enbrel (a biologic). Auto immune issues are more common in women than men. Statistically speaking, it's odd that out of a slender group of people on this site (relatively speaking) two men would have it. I'm sorry that both of you fight these battles. Makes me appreciate my beat up but otherwise healthy body.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 21, 2015

Mike - Philabaum from Northwest, I wrestled him twice my SO year at State. Beat him 6-5 in rd. 1 then lost to him for 5th. I think. He was tough.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on January 21, 2015

"

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Isn't there a law firm up there named Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe???"

Well it appears that the dot net has its own version in "Fox, Jackson & Proudfoot". ;)"

I was thinking more along the lines of “Fox and his Flunkie Associates, Ltd.”
Assuming same, count me in. :-) 

I’ve been around the sport forever, dad was a coach in Ohio for forty-plus years, experiencing considerable success (in the national and state wrestling halls of fame, etc.), and older brother was very good (3rd and 1st in the state, scholarship to Indiana where as a true frosh he beat out the returning senior captain before a tragic motorcycle accident ended his career and, frankly, his life as we knew it).

I wrestled from the age of 5 until 22, was quite good as a youth (multiple state AAU championships and national place-winnings, including one runner-up finish and one fourth behind Jim Heffernan and Jim Jordan, yikes).
Unfortunately, I seemed to have peaked at or about the age of 12. :-) 
I did win quite a few matches in high school (Oregon Cardinal Stritch), including a 41 as a soph, and was the two year captain of our 1983 state runner-up team (to Bedford Chanel, grrrr).
But I fell far short of my personal goals, and may well go down as one of Lord Brakeman’s biggest busts, ever. :-) 
Wrestled at Ohio State where I red-shirted as a freshman (while recovering from high school injuries) and then lettered the next two years before retiring for (perceived) greener pastures, still regret that I didn’t wrestle my last two years, was about as average as average gets at that level, but was clearly getting better.
Oh well, gives me something to think/stew about…
And I did truly treasure the college wrestling experience, including making life-long friends.

Just turned 50 (what I'm advised is "creepy old man age"), been a lawyer for 25 years, married to a UM grad (two year captain of its field hockey team), and have three young boys (one by one leaning toward UM, blech) who seem to love just about every single sport – that is, except for wrestling.
Our oldest, 10, once said that it’s his “second to least favorite sport, next to horseback riding”.
I’m like, “Dude, you’ve been on a horse like once in your life, was it really that bad?”
I have introduced all three to the sport (via low-key biddy, which I help coach with fellow dot-netter Denny Pool), but suffice it to say that my current lot in life, which frankly isn’t so bad, is attending and/or coaching an awfully lot of youth soccer, baseball, and even basketball (??!!) games/tourneys. 

I enjoy this forum, value all that I gained from this great sport, and sure do enjoy following/supporting the Buckeyes.

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Mike - Philabaum from Northwest, I wrestled him twice my SO year at State. Beat him 6-5 in rd. 1 then lost to him for 5th. I think. He was tough."

So you were 135ish also?
I remember Northwest had a stud at 119 (I believe) a pretty good one at 112lbs, a state qualifier at 130 (Mike Moore I think...he also kicked the crap out of me my freshman year 1993). Their lower weights were pretty good that year (1992/1993)

Matt Nutter added to this discussion on January 21, 2015

Mantua Crestwood High School

Favorite College team: 1a. Kent State 1b. Ohio State

Started wrestling in the 4th grade and had a good amount of success as a youth and middle school wrestler where I lost just a handful of matches and was a state placer. Unfortunately I was too hard headed to think I needed to develop past those accomplishments. Won more than I lost in high school. Good enough to win a couple Portage County league titles, beat a handful of state placers, but could never get to the big show after qualifying for districts 3 times. I didn't have the work ethic or mentality to peak at the right time to get out of the grueling Firestone District. After maturing a bit after high school I have taken the experiences learned from falling short of my goals from lack of work ethic to help propel me into a successful career and I am excited to see if my 2 year old son will take an interest in the sport. Based on what I am seeing from other dads on here I should not hold my breathe!!!! I had the good fortune of coaching at my alma mater after high school and seeing a once tradition rich program being restored. This website is my favorite corner of the internet, and I also enjoy seeing some of your twitter personalities! Give me a follow @uncle_nut. I used to love high school wrestling ,but this site has slowly shifted me towards a greater love for college wrestling.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 21, 2015

Quote from Matthew Nutter's post:

"... I didn't have the work ethic or mentality to peak at the right time to get out of the grueling Firestone District..."

I've been saying it for years, that District was BRUTAL.

Matt Nutter added to this discussion on January 21, 2015

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

Quote from Matthew Nutter's post:

"... I didn't have the work ethic or mentality to peak at the right time to get out of the grueling Firestone District..."

I've been saying it for years, that District was BRUTAL."

1 thru 4 my senior year placed 1st 5th 7th & 8th. The 7th place finisher at states took 5th at districts and got in as an alternate. Your era was the best though. Mid to late 90's was a war and they took 5 so that tells you something!Did you wrestle with any Scavuzzos?Sp? I know that was a stud name for Revere.

Brandon Gambucci added to this discussion on January 21, 2015

Hey guys, Brandon Gambucci here.

I, like the other Brandon, am also a wrestling fanatic.
My wrestling history is an interesting one though. I started wrestling at the youth level when I was 7. I then went roughly 7 years before winning a single match and left my 7th grade year with an awesome 3 wins, 20something losses. I then rededicated myself to the sport and started to figure things out. Ended up going 8, 2, 3 at State to end my Lexington HS years.

Since then, I've been at my new home down at Duke University and slowly trying to move all of my Lexington and Ohio wrestlers down here. I've had a somewhat successful career down here thus far (ACC runner-up, NCAA qual, and previously ranked in the top 10). Unfortunately the injury bug has had its way with me and I've had 4 surgeries since entering college, including a particularly mean hip surgery which made me miss the second half of last year. I'm about to graduate with a Master's from Duke's Fuqua School of Business in May, somehow snagged my dream job, and I hope to end this year on the podium as I just got cleared to wrestle this week!

Anyways, I've been frequenting ohiowrestling.net for many years, and I always find it very insightful and a truly awesome wrestling community. Also, if anyone has any tips on coping with the end of their competitive careers, I'd love them, as I'm not sure what I'll be doing with my life in a few months.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 21, 2015

Gambucci!!! Great news to read. Best of luck throughout the rest of the season.

Quote from Brandon Gambucci's post:

" Also, if anyone has any tips on coping with the end of their competitive careers, I'd love them, as I'm not sure what I'll be doing with my life in a few months."

Find a wrestling forum (a.k.a. This one!!!) and talk endlessly among the "old guys" about all things wrestling. Might not be as exhilarating but it takes the edge off and soon you'll be coping just fine w/ your competition days behind you. :D

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next