Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Discussion Topic: Wrestling Anonymous: Introductions Are In Order!
Matt Schein added to this discussion on January 19, 2015

hello, my name is Matt Schein, i began wrestling in the 8th grade, and feel in love with the sport. my high school career was nothing special, i won more than i lost, but was a head case. my senior year i finally qualified for the district tournament and my wrestling carer came to an unspectacular end at the Massillon Perry district.
i graduated from Logan High School in 1997 and attended Wright State University where i comically tried to walk on to the soccer team. things at WSU didn't work out, and i would up at Clark State CC where i graduated in 2000.
i moved back to Logan and got a job as a probation officer and started volunteer coaching for the high school team, which i ended up doing for the next 8 years also had one year as an assistant at Wellston High School as well.
my son is wrestling for the Logan youth program, so of course i'm helping with that.
i've worked as a probation officer since 2000 and currently work in Lancaster

also i just got engaged the other day, wish me luck (this will be my second marriage)

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on January 19, 2015

Hello, my name is Brandon, and I am a wrestling addict. (Hi Brandon!)

I began wrestling in elementary school as a result of “witnessing” a shooting when I was 4 years old. We were on the car lot when a man went into the dealership office and started shooting. A psychologist told my mom to get me into a sport where I could get my aggression out after I attacked a mailman. My first experience with wrestling was at a camp at my church run by then high school senior Harry Lester and coach Joe Boardwine.

Above average high school career at Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy. 3X state placer. Felt like I was starting to reach my potential before having an injury riddled and shortened college career at Cleveland State University. I continued as a team manager for CSU for the remainder of my undergrad, and now I still bum around there between graduate school classes (Physical Therapy) I am also the Athletes in Action sportslinc representative at CSU…...but due to lack of interest and poor leadership on my part that has been dissolved to just a Friday Bible study for the wrestlers and discipling a few others here or there. I always wanted to coach someday....but I have a transplanted meniscus right now which prevents me from returning to the mat. Until then....I have to live vicariously through these forums.

I was born and raised a Buckeyes fan and still am. My biggest desire as a fan would be to see my high school teammate, Nathan Tomasello, wrestle my college teammate, Ben Willeford, in the NCAA finals this year. They are the two most determined competitors I have ever seen.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 19, 2015

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"My first three years of high school were mediocre at best. League titles, but very little progression through the State Tourney process. That was followed by one kick ass senior season. Like I said, very few notable wins for three years my first three years, but my senior year storybook. Undefeated, and relatively dominant during the regular season...League, sectional and District champion. Technical falls in the first and semi-final rounds at State with a major decision in the quarters. In the finals I faced a wrestler I had defeated the week before at Districts. Long story short, he beat me and it really sucked."

M-Rod, you are one of my top 3 posters (here and yappi; I am rooting for the day when you become "Thankful Runner-Up"). : )

John Ice added to this discussion on January 19, 2015

I graduated from North Ridgeville High in 1978. Pretty decent wrestler but the follow up rule got me my junior year and mono my senior year. Was a 4 year starter at BGSU when they still had a program. They shut it down after my senior year. I did some coaching at NRHS and at Avon High School.
I got thrown for loop in 1995 when I was diagnosed with M.S. I have slowly succumbed to being in a wheelchair full time. I do still try to attend as many events as I can. If you see someone running around in a powerchair it might be me.
The people I have met as a result of wrestling have enriched my life greatly and I feel blessed because of the many friendships I have made.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 20, 2015

Ethan Moore
Wrestled at Springfield Shawnee from 92-95. My father was the coach and a great one.
4X state qualifier.
2X placer (6th as a SO 5th as a SR).

Played 3 sports all the way through HS and loved every minute.

My freshman year I false started at the beginning of ot in the first round, my 3rd caution. So that was a funny memory.

Live in Naperville, IL. Happily married, 3 young kids. Still very connected to Ohio wrestling.

Brother to Luke, who is working hard to establish a successful program at big walnut.

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on January 20, 2015

Tony Bradberry

Wrestled at Fairfield HS and Lakota West HS (06 graduate). 3x State Qualifier 3rd my senior year. Wrestled at Ashland University 4 year starter national qualifier. Was always much better at Greco than folkstyle, FILA Cadet AA, ASICS Junior AA, 3x FILA University AA.

Came home coached a year at LW when my little brother was a senior. Was an assistant at Oak Hills HS for a year. Took the head coaching job at Lebanon HS for 12-13 season and 13-14 season. I am now back at LW as the head coach.

Bill Watson added to this discussion on January 20, 2015

My name is Bill Watson, I wrestled from 6 up to College. Blew my knee out, decided being an engineer was more important , quit wrestling. Engineering grew old, I now am a Special Ed teacher and started a program 4 years ago at Southern Local.
Long story short - I read a lot of the forum and actively coach k-12. So I am slowly learning as much as I thought I use to know.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on January 20, 2015

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"I went on to wrestle in college at the University of Dayton. We were D1 but funded like a D3. I started all four years and missed nationals my senior year by a match. I maxxed out my ability, so have no regrets in college. Dayton cut the program after my senior year.
"

Brian, did you wrestle with Bob Kosins of Bellbrook while @ UD? Do I recollect correctly that he went on a post-season tear right before the program got cut?"

Bobby was our 118 pounder my senior year. He lost in double overtime at the east regional and didn't get the wildcard, though he richly deserved it. He could have transferred but stayed put and finished at UD. Kosins is the HC at Bellbrook.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 20, 2015

I'm Jim Kessen and I started wrestling in the 5th grade.

I was a SQ as a freshman wrestling 103 and was up 1 in the Qtrs. with 3 seconds left and locked hands and lost in OT. My SO. year I got cocky and didn't work as hard and didn't qualify for state. My JR. year started working hard and was a state runner up. As a SR. I put it all together and was a state champ for Lima Central Catholic. I went on to be a HS AA back when ever one went and you had to be a state finalist at some point during HS to attend. (Adam Tirapple SP? won my weight class). I went to JCU and wrestled for 4 years and was 2x starter. Won the OAC as SR. and went 0-2 at Nationals.

After college I got out of wrestling for a few years before getting back into it and was Head coach at Brooklyn OH HS for 4 years and now I'm the assistant JR high coach at Olmsted Falls.

Thanks

Denny Pool added to this discussion on January 20, 2015

Hi,
I'm Denny Pool and I read on the forum much more than I post. Great reading by the way!

I started wrestling freshman year at Toledo St. Francis('90 graduate). I was average to slightly above average, but with a lot of hard work, I managed to qualify for states my senior year.
I went to college at Ohio State('94 grad). I now own my own business and have been an assistant coach at my Alma mater for several years.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on January 20, 2015

Luke Moore

3X state qualifier and 2X placer in high school at Springfield Shawnee. As Ethan stated, we were coached by our dad our entire lives, and had the cool opportunity to be on a team with Ethan as a freshman. I was 119, he was 125. Back to back Moores is everyone's nightmare! We fought every day in practice (I always lost) and mom had to order dad not to let us wrestle anymore! I distinctly remember being punched in the back of the head while being cornered against the bleachers, yet I was the one that had to run the bleachers after practice! Ha!

After high school went to OU where I had a decent career. 4X MAC placer, 2X finalist, MAC CHamp as a sophomore. That same year I lost in the round of 12 to Jacob Volkman from Minnesota 7-3. I had a cradle locked up in the 3rd and slipped off and got reversed. I don't want to talk about it. Went to nationals as a junior but was selected as an alternate as a senior after a not so great year.

Currently coaching at Big Walnut in my 8th year. 7 state qualifiers, 2 state placers, 13 district placers thus far! We are a work in progress.

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on January 20, 2015

Shawn Andrews
Started wrestling age 5, my dad was my coach. wrestled 171 all 4 years for Marysville HS but finally became one as a senior. Qualified for district 3x qualified for state 1x. My goal was always to place, I came up short it took a long time to get over. Was on the wrestling team atKent State for 4 years but was never a consistent starter. I am a huge fan of their turnaround from the time I was there (96-00).

I coached one year at Massillon Perry and 2 years at KSU learned a ton. Came home to coach 2 of my younger brothers as an assistant to my Dad at Marysville. Took over as head coach in 07-08 we have had some really good wrestlers come through our program during that time that have been very rewarding to coach.

I am happily married and a proud father of 2 great kids.
I root for KSU and OSU (when they aren't wrestling KSU)

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on January 20, 2015

Carrollton High School
Muskingum University
Kent State University
University of Toledo

I wrestled at Carrollton High School for David Tolarchyk. I was a solid if not at times good high school wrestler. I beat some good guys while in high school and lost to some others. I was all conference and a district qualifier, but I never qualified for the state tournament. I didn't wrestle my senior year due to ongoing and at that time misdiagnosed physical issues.

A few years back, I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and have had to change my diet, alter my workout habits, and receive biologic injections regularly. Apparently I was suffering from this all those years. In high school my hands would swell and become so painful that I struggled to use them. This is in addition to the other joints that showed the same outward signs, e.g. my neck and knees. I mention this because I tend to feel for the young men whose careers have succumbed to injury and/or disease. I can easily relate to their plight. We (I include myself in this) can be quick to judge and at times condemn these young men without all of the facts.

In recent years (and thanks to modern science's diagnosis) I have been able to take up bjj and translate my wrestling skills over to this field. I've had moderate success in the "old guys" division winning the IBJJF Pan No Gis. I wish that I had more time to devote to this stuff, but church, family, and work tend to eat up most of my time.

Luckily, I took a job with the law firm of Palecek, McIlvaine, Hoffmann & Morse in Wadsworth, Ohio, so I am in a hotbed of wrestling from Wadsworth High School to Kent State University. I just need to take advantage of all the wrestling related opportunities.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on January 20, 2015

Quote from Brad Proudfoot's post:

"Carrollton High School
Muskingum University
Kent State University
University of Toledo

I wrestled at Carrollton High School for David Tolarchyk. I was a solid if not at times good high school wrestler. I beat some good guys while in high school and lost to some others. I was all conference and a district qualifier, but I never qualified for the state tournament. I didn't wrestle my senior year due to ongoing and at that time misdiagnosed physical issues.

A few years back, I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and have had to change my diet, alter my workout habits, and receive biologic injections regularly. Apparently I was suffering from this all those years. In high school my hands would swell and become so painful that I struggled to use them. This is in addition to the other joints that showed the same outward signs, e.g. my neck and knees. I mention this because I tend to feel for the young men whose careers have succumbed to injury and/or disease. I can easily relate to their plight. We (I include myself in this) can be quick to judge and at times condemn these young men without all of the facts.

In recent years (and thanks to modern science's diagnosis) I have been able to take up bjj and translate my wrestling skills over to this field. I've had moderate success in the "old guys" division winning the IBJJF Pan No Gis. I wish that I had more time to devote to this stuff, but church, family, and work tend to eat up most of my time.

Luckily, I took a job with the law firm of Palecek, McIlvaine, Hoffmann & Morse in Wadsworth, Ohio, so I am in a hotbed of wrestling from Wadsworth High School to Kent State University. I just need to take advantage of all the wrestling related opportunities."

In 93 (I believe you wrestled 135 most the year) what weight did you wrestle against my school (Dover High)? I wrestled (and subsequently got destroyed) the guy from Carrollton who ended up making state at 135 (can't remember his name). My coach had swapped me and the senior (who I had beaten in wrestle offs and who was consequently our normal 135lber) because he wanted to protect the senior from your guy. As a result, the freshman (me) was sacrificed. Just curious how close we came to wrestling each other.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 20, 2015

Born in the Lehigh Valley but family moved to Akron when I was 3 for the fabulous rubber industry. Great for about 12 years. Then gone. Older brother wrestled in PA during junior high and he became almost immediate captain at HS in Akron. Co-captain with the great Jim Brown his senior year. My brother begged me to wrestle in Jr. High. Didn't listen. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

I went to Akron schools until HS, then to small private boarding school. Classes six days a week. Sports were secondary there but everyone had to play each season. Great rule. Continued with football, basketball (5'9"" and landlocked; scored 1 point; dumb sport) and baseball until sophomore year then football, wrestling and lacrosse. Fell in love with the latter two. Better at Lax.

How does one describe the narrowness and shallowness of my wrestling mediocrity. I guess that about does it. Won a few, lost a few.

There was just something about the combination of technique and sheer physical effort and exhaustion on a daily basis that appealed to me. Wrestled anywhere between 132 and 167. My senior year I wrestled a tri at 138 (weighing 134 after being home on break, eating too much, then overshooting the cut when told I had to fill in for the starter who was sick) and a tournament at 167 (weighing 152: no one enforces the cert rules, at least they didn't then, for the sacrificial lamb). Wrestled the # 1 seed first, took him down, pissed him off and had a great seat for the rest of the session.

Majored in Chemistry (?) in college. Met a guy playing rugby wearing an "Iowa Intensive Wrestling Camp" t-shirt (which I borrowed and haven't returned yet). Working out in the gym we saw the pictures of the Denison OAC wrestling champs from the early 70s. My friend wrestled at Columbus Academy in HS. He was very good. Made me MUCH better, as did my brother.

Found the old mats in a warehouse, got a faculty sponsor and signed up 32 guys to re-start the program. Only problem was my buddy and I were the only ones to show for practice. Good thing we were close in weight. Our fraternity did win IMs.

Like Brad and Jason, I am now practicing law in the Northeast Ohio area.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next