Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Penn State v Ohio State - Sunday, Jan. 11th; 2pm @ Tom Ryan Arena #BlackOut
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 9, 2015

PROBABLE MATCH-UPS
125: #7 Nathan Tomasello (14-4) vs. #8 Jordan Conaway (13-2)
133: #4 Johnni DiJulius (17-1) vs. #10 Jimmy Gulibon (12-2)
141: #1 Logan Stieber (12-0) vs. Kade Moss (14-7) or Michael Waters (10-7)
149: #6 Hunter Stieber (0-2) vs. #17 Zack Beitz (8-4) or Luke Frey (11-3)
157: #5 Josh Demas (10-0) vs. #8 Dylan Alton (5-2) or Cody Law (12-6)
165: #6 Bo Jordan (6-0) vs. Garett Hammond (16-4)
174: #12 Mark Martin (11-7) vs. #4 Matt Brown (12-2)
184: #12 Kenny Courts (12-3) vs. #16 Matt McCutcheon (16-6)
197: #7 Kyle Snyder (14-2) vs. #4 Morgan McIntosh (14-1)
285: #10 Nick Tavanello (13-6) vs. #6 Jimmy Lawson (7-0) or Jon Gingrich (11-1)

Let's go Buckeyes!!!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Penn State v Ohio State - Sunday, Jan. 11th; 2pm @ Tom Ryan Arena #BlackOut
Mike Taylor added to this discussion on January 9, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"PROBABLE MATCH-UPS
125: #7 Nathan Tomasello (14-4) vs. #8 Jordan Conaway (13-2)
133: #4 Johnni DiJulius (17-1) vs. #10 Jimmy Gulibon (12-2)
141: #1 Logan Stieber (12-0) vs. Kade Moss (14-7) or Michael Waters (10-7)
149: #6 Hunter Stieber (0-2) vs. #17 Zack Beitz (8-4) or Luke Frey (11-3)
157: #5 Josh Demas (10-0) vs. #8 Dylan Alton (5-2) or Cody Law (12-6)
165: #6 Bo Jordan (6-0) vs. Garett Hammond (16-4)
174: #12 Mark Martin (11-7) vs. #4 Matt Brown (12-2)
184: #12 Kenny Courts (12-3) vs. #16 Matt McCutcheon (16-6)
197: #7 Kyle Snyder (14-2) vs. #4 Morgan McIntosh (14-1)
285: #10 Nick Tavanello (13-6) vs. #6 Jimmy Lawson (7-0) or Jon Gingrich (11-1)

Let's go Buckeyes!!!"

I see us winning the first 6 bouts (125, 133, 149,& 157 by dec, 165 by Maj, and 141 by TF). I also could see us winning @ 184 by dec. Without giving Kyle the upset win here, that would leave the final score as tOSU 24 PSU 9. At worst, it should be 21-12 us (assuming PSU wins all 4 of the final matches).

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 9, 2015

deleted.

Last edited by Hank Kornblut on January 10, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 9, 2015

I think we need to be careful about how we talk about Hunter Stieber. When you say if he "shows up"...to me that sounds like it's his choice how he's wrestling right now. If he's injured and can't perform at the level fans are accustomed to that's not not showing up. Think of Pucillo his senior season...that wasn't a sudden lack of drive or passion. It was his body not allowing him to do what he used to. I honestly think that's what it is. Wrestlers like Hunter Stieber and Mike Pucillo don't just get bad overnight. Just my opinion.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 10, 2015

Mike: You're right. Worst part, I get it as a coach. But when I think like a fan, my head is completely up my -ss.

My apologies to Hunter.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 10, 2015

MT: I hope you're right. But I seriously doubt it. It's going to be tight. Very tight.

M-Rod: no doubt. Here's hoping for a healthy Hunter - be it Sunday for this dual, or in March. #STL2015

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 10, 2015

To me, big difference between MikeP, Troy Letters and what we are seeing from Hunter.

The two former guys had serious neck injuries what we believe we see from Hunter is an elbow injury. The reason I'm not all into "the reason he doesn't look like the HS we know" and he's wrestling poorly is because of injury alone is this --- stated team goal is a national title. Nation titles not won in January duals, but get a main cog in the engine re-broken in Jan and you lose it. TR is no dummy. What purpose does it serve to put a hurt HS in line-up in Jan if they could wait another month (lots of healing done by the body &mind in a month) to do? I though he looked absolutely gassed "-- that's not the result of an elbow injury.

Could there be more to the injury than we know. Absolutely. Could there be more factors to his current wrestling than just "he's injured"? Absolutely (something I believe TR referred to after the MO dual).

Regardless, we all hope whatever is wrong is healed/fixed/resolved by B1G's.

For this dual, I'm conflicted. Having been to multiple PSU camps, I've come to really admire how Cael and staff "does wrestling" -- and his wrestlers are great guys and treated my team great. @BurgWrestle91973 has a few nice pics from the camp this past summer. We had Guilibon, AAlton & Nickel on our dodgeball team -- finished runner-ups to the PSU dream team. FYI, Cael, Cody, Casey, Varner, and Beitz are VERY VERY good dodgeball players.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 10, 2015

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I think we need to be careful about how we talk about Hunter Stieber. When you say if he "shows up"...to me that sounds like it's his choice how he's wrestling right now. If he's injured and can't perform at the level fans are accustomed to that's not not showing up. Think of Pucillo his senior season...that wasn't a sudden lack of drive or passion. It was his body not allowing him to do what he used to. I honestly think that's what it is. Wrestlers like Hunter Stieber and Mike Pucillo don't just get bad overnight. Just my opinion."

I love it when your voice of reason shows up!

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on January 10, 2015

I will be there! Can't wait. In terms of how the dual goes:

125 - I think Nate is the slightest of favorites, but his lack of action in the Gilman match worries me a bit. His aggressiveness has cost him a couple of times, and I hope he doesn't get gun shy. I think he gets the decision over Conway.
3-0 OSU

133 - JDJ beat Gulibon twice last year, but Gulibon beat JDJ over the summer. I think this is a 1 point match, and, most of the time, those go to JDJ.
6-0 OSU

141 - Logan will be looking for the fall here, as every point matters. Moss will be looking to do everything but get pinned. I think Logan's will wins out.
12-0 OSU

149 - Hunter is a better wrestler than Beitz when both are 100%. I could easily see this match going exactly like the Iowa match. I think (hope) Hunter makes the adjustments he needs to and gets the victory here.
15-0 OSU

157 - Demas v Alton is a pure toss up. Should be an awesome match. Josh has been amazing this year defensively. I think the key is getting off of bottom. If he can escape, and put the pressure on Alton to force a bad shot, I think he wins. This is Josh's year.
18-0 OSU

***So, at this point I have OSU rolling. While my Buckeye colored glasses have me leaning this way, I could also, very easily, see Penn State up 12-5 at this point, getting decisions at 125, 133, 149 and 157, while holding Logan to a tech.***

165 - I think Bo makes a statement here, and gets bonus. 4 or 6 is the question to me. If Ohio State is rolling, I think he wrestles a little more conservatively and settles on the major.
22-0 OSU

174 - Martin has been wrestling well lately, getting a takedown against Evans, and doing better from the bottom position. I don't think he beats Brown, but I think he holds it to a decision.
22-3 OSU

184 - Courts v. McCutcheon is an interesting matchup. Courts is so talented, but has yet to put everything together on the mat. He has some nice wins, but then he has some head scratchers. I think he wears down and gives up a late takedown and loses by 1.
22-6 OSU

197 - I favor Snyder slightly over McIntosh. The way he was able to ride Burak was a good sign, and I think his mat game is catching up to his neutral skills. I think he gets a statement win here.
25-6 OSU

285 - I favor Lawson or Gingrich (or Nevills for that matter) over Tavanello. Only by decision though.
25-9 OSU

I think Ohio State could win this match easily, or I could see a blowout for Penn State. Based on recent history, including this year, despite my projections, I think Penn State manages a victory here. Ohio State seems to make a mistake somewhere along the way in every dual that costs them. Martin laying down and giving up a pin in OT, Tav giving up a takedown in OT to Walz, Nate letting Waters up with 1 second left in the match, Hunter getting pinned, Snyder taking injury time between periods. It's just something that happens too consistently for me to believe that they will win over such a talented and well coached team.

Ohio State wins a 5-5 split, with Logan as the only real bonus threat, unless, of course, something crazy happens. So Ohio State has to lose multiple matches that they are toss ups/slight favorites to lose this dual.

A win here and I will start to regain some of that National Title confidence I had to start the season. Another loss here and, well, there's always next year.

William Danforth added to this discussion on January 10, 2015

Jason L. Jackson

I'm confused. Ohio State blowout. Penn State blowout. Ohio State wins a close one 5 matches to 5 matches. ?????????????????

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on January 10, 2015

I like his 25-9 for OSU result best. I'll go with that one.

This will allow me to go to sleep tonight with visions of Buckeyes with their hands raised in victory. Kind of like I predicted the football teams victory over Alabama.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on January 10, 2015

The pure Ohio State fan in me sees a big Buckeye win. The beat down pessimistic fan in me sees a Penn State win. My head and my heart are at odds. I think Ohio State has to screw up to lose. The problem is, I think they do screw up.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 10, 2015

Honestly, give me seven minutes of passion and I'll stand and cheer.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 10, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Honestly, give me seven minutes of passion and I'll stand and cheer."

Well said.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on January 11, 2015

NaTo 11-2 maj osu 4 penn 0
JDJ loses 5-4 osu 4 penn 3
logan fall osu 10 penn 3

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next