Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Iowa riding technique off the whistle
Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

Hello,

First, some initial comments about yesterday's dual meet.

(1) I noticed that Hunter Stieber did not shoot for any of his patented right side single leg takedowns and figured that he was protecting his elbow by doing that. Despite the fact that he was without his main offensive weapon and that he was a bit out of shape, he wrestled fairly well. If the elbow can heal and he can regain some conditioning over the next few months, he should do well at Nationals.

(2) Moore was able to get in very deep on Bo Jordan's legs (Jordan seems to have a fairly straight leg stance) but Bo was able to either use his hips or double underhooks to break the hold. However, I thought that if and when he wrestles Dieringer it is likely that Dieringer will be strong enough to overcome Jordan's defense and finish on the takedown.

As for the topic of this post, I noticed that virtually all the Iowa wrestler's grab the ankle of their opponent and drive forward when they are on top and the referee blows his whistle. This allows them to break the wrestler down at which point they switch to another type of ride, knowing that the referee will not let them hang on the ankle. This seems like an effective first move when on top. On the other hand, it didn't seem like any of the Ohio State wrestlers used this method. I was wondering why not.

Bruce

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Iowa riding technique off the whistle
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

#AskCoachRyan

Deep waist, far ankle. Great stuff!

And I would like to point out that in one of the matches, an Iowa wrestler was able to hang onto the ankle for at least ten seconds before he let go. The ref did not warn the top wrestler; he just let go.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion