Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Why so negative?
Jason Russell added to this discussion on January 4, 2015

125 - Tomasello has losses to the #3,4,6,7 wrestlers in the country. All of whom are AA's. Has wins over nationally ranked Martinez, Bresser and Andrews. Could easily turn those matches around and AA.

133 - DiJulius only has 1 loss...to the #1 D2 wrestler. He has beaten Norstream, DiCamillo 2x, Earl Hall(who just won the scuffle), and Cory Clark. Now I know he has had trouble with his offense, but with a good seed there is no reason he cant pull off an AA finish.

141 - Stieber, obviously at the top. Will get a lot of points at NCAA's.

149 - I am not sold Hunter is done for. He did not look ready against Houdashelt, and then against Sorenson got two takedowns before gassing. Its hard to come back from an injury, right now sure don't expect much but he could be back to AA level in two months.

157- Demas keeps on winning, but I am nervous the close matches will bite him in the ass at NCAA's. But Miller is obviously not 100, Realbuto is not 100, and Alton is a mystery. Demas could really finish high at this weight.

165- Bojo undefeated, wins over Massa & Moore. We will see what happens down the road, but he is a contender.

174- Martin has not been lights out, but he has been okay. He isn't one of the best in the weight, but he could easily wrestle a great NCAA and grab low AA.

184- Courts...he has the talent, we all know. Not sure what is going on right now, but this is the one weight i don't have a good feeling about.

197- Snyder has a loss to Gadson, and a loss now to Burak due to a rule and stalling. Easily reverses that next time. don't forget his previous success.

285 - Tav has been pretty good. avenged his only "bad" d1 loss to Stofi who is ranked 20th.

Honestly, this is not a bad team that can still do serious damage in march.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on January 4, 2015

Quote from Jason Russell's post:

"
Honestly, this is not a bad team that can still do serious damage in march."

Right, but can you point me to a single person who was looking forward to the Buckeyes being "not a bad team" through the first half of this season? This is the year that everyone, including OSU's coaching staff, had circled as the year for the Bucks to make the step up and challenge for a title. This season is far from over, but the team that's on the mat right now will be on the outside of the top 3 looking in come March.

Biggest takeaways I had from the dual were:

1) JDJ is putting together a great season so far. Remember though he started hot last year climbing to as high as #3 in some of the polls, let's hope he can continue that form into the postseason this year.

2) As many expected, Hunter is nowhere near match-ready.

3) Bo Jordan at 75% (guessing) is still capable of beating AA-caliber wrestlers.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 4, 2015

You know me, Jason, and I'm far from negative. I could find a silver lining in being fed pooh for a month.

I didn't purchase season tickets to watch a team to be "not a bad team". Hell, I'm not even looking for 100% wins. I F-U-L-L-Y expect passion between the whistles. It's not out of line to expect every kid to put their foot on the line and go to war for 7 minutes - more if required.

Two years ago I screamed my head of for Joe Grandominico for holding a loss to a regular decision against a top-ranked Iowan. Joe did his job. He fought. He competed. He went to war for a group of guys on the bench who needed him. I am happy to pay to see that.

What I will not tolerate - and should not have to - is a team who inundates me with a team motto and doesn't live it out. Put your foot on the line and fight! With PASSION!!!!!! For seven FULL MINUTES!!!

It's not like the team is filled with 4x sectional qualifiers!!!

I hope everyone can make it out next week for PSU! I was glad to see the #DotNet shirts around the arena. B1Gs are coming soon. Get your tickets.

Also, Dan R. - I'm still asking around about #STL2015

#GoBuckeyes

ps: anyone else see the "Fan of the Year" dangerously close to a one Urban Meyer??? Thought she was going out in cuffs for sure!!!

Ha! I just read some of one of the Iowa threads on here. Holy crap some of the people on this forum are impossible!!!

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on January 4, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Ha! I just read some of one of the Iowa threads on here. Holy crap some of the people on this forum are impossible!!!"

you mean like the get rid of Tom reference?

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"You mean like the get rid of Tom reference?"

That would most certainly be one of them!!! I'm not sure if that was sarcasm or what though.

I was quite frustrated/disappointed after that dual was over. Because of that I refrained from commenting right away. It felt like they let it slip away.
I was irritated for similar reasons you posted in the #wt3 thread. A few years ago Ohio state went after Iowa and left Tom stating they got their butts kicked. Their was a fire I don't see on this team yet and I don't know why. I love this team and want to see them do well. Like the football team proved good football is also played outside the south, I would like this team to show championship teams exist outside of PA and IA.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on January 4, 2015

Well Martin wanted to kick him, who told him not to?
That was crazy.

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"Well Martin wanted to kick him, who told him not to?
That was crazy."

from what I read they wanted him to get the RT below 1min but then he kicked him out poorly which led to the reversal. I wasn't there so I'm going off what I read.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 4, 2015

Evans had 1:28 of RT heading into the 3rd, Martin was free to cut him any time after 30 seconds. He was reversed with about a minute left. Very odd moment.

Underscores something more important - tough to win close matches if you can't choose down and get out.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 4, 2015

Jason: I like your post and agree with the sentiment. All of us wanted to see the Bucks kick everyone's butts. For a variety of reasons, it hasn't happened. But they still have a second place finish without three starters in Vegas and that was a very high level event. The three dual losses--while trifling for us all--are easily reversible.

This team is an improving Hunter Stieber* away from being close to what we expected--unless you thought every wrestler would win an NCAA title. Sit tight and keep the faith.

*Hunter looked horrendous against Houdashelt. He looked shaky today but still scored two TD's and nearly won. Someone above wrote that he needs to get back in shape. Maybe it's that simple. Personally, I think he needs to keep getting into the circle until his mojo returns. Sooner or later, it will.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"...

*Hunter looked horrendous against Houdashelt. He looked shaky today but still scored two TD's and nearly won. Someone above wrote that he needs to get back in shape. Maybe it's that simple. Personally, I think he needs to keep getting into the circle until his mojo returns. Sooner or later, it will. "

Amen, Hank! And I can't wait to watch it!!!

#GoBuckeyes

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on January 4, 2015

That was crazy."

Rick: I'm not sure where you got your [mis]information. There was a break in the action with one minute to go, after riding time had been eliminated, and with Evans up 3 to 2. Martin looked over toward the bench where Coach Ryan and to my recall another coach or two signaled for Martin to kick him out. There were no contrary signals. For whatever reason Martin opted not to kick him, and then ten or so seconds later gave up the simple switch.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 4, 2015

Quote from Casey Talbott's post:

"

That was crazy."

Rick: I'm not sure where you got your [mis]information. There was a break in the action with one minute to go, after riding time had been eliminated, and with Evans up 3 to 2. Martin looked over toward the bench where Coach Ryan and to my recall another coach or two signaled for Martin to kick him out. There were no contrary signals. For whatever reason Martin opted not to kick him, and then ten or so seconds later gave up the simple switch."

Bingo. Coaches told Martin to kick him. Martin had absolutely nothing to gain by riding him any longer unless he turned him, which wouldn't have happened.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

Yes they went out close to where I was sitting. When Martin stood up he briefly held his hands up indicating nuetral. When they went back to center I didn't see the coaches gesturing to kick him, and he didn't. Maybe they did and I missed it, so I guess that's where I got my mis information.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next