Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Discussion Topic: Iowa in 2014-2015
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

Quote from Leo Zimmer's post:

"Mike,

I didn't see what the Iowa coach did or said, but I J Jaggers was not to pleased with it."

I'm pretty sure Jaggers said something to the effect of "Don't [something] to my guys." That "something" could have been "talk to", "mess with", or "do that" but that's the reaction I saw.

I liked what I saw from JDJ. Granted, it's pretty much been the same thing for 4 years now, but whatevs,

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

Mark: JDJ is having more offensive success this year than in the past. He's also beaten some high caliber comp this year and decidedly at that.

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"
I liked what I saw from JDJ. Granted, it's pretty much been the same thing for 4 years now, but whatevs,"

Is there another restraining order in your future? ;-)

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

"

"
I liked what I saw from JDJ. Granted, it's pretty much been the same thing for 4 years now, but whatevs,"

Is there another restraining order in your future? ;-)"

Nah, man. We cool. ...we cool.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

"

"

"

Is there another restraining order in your future? ;-)"

Nah, man. We cool. ...we cool."

Good. I was going to ask who would get posting rights to this board in the divorce since JDJ's dad posts here.

Matt Nutter added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

Brands was giving JDJ the ole Dan Gable. Point with one hand and hold the fist up in the air waiving it to symbolize that he thought JDJ was stalling. He did it for about 30 seconds after the match continuing to point at Johnny. Two take a ways regarding this. I believe in the Gable era Iowa wrestlers were 9 times out of 10 the aggressor, but the difference is they were always working to score with heavy hands and leg attacks one after another. The new era of Iowa wrestlers seem to hold great position and progress forward, but not many scoring attempts are ever made. It gives them the advantage of not being hit for stalling, but I don't think it should be counted against the other wrestler because no real action is being forced. I will however give them credit in most matches they were willing to wrestle the full 7 minutes hard, and OSU was not prepared for that. We wrestled with our heals on the line a lot yesterday. I do think this buckeye team when healthy will be ready to roll come march. I hope they are ready sooner than that, but I think they still need a couple of months to heal and mature. The long layoff seemed to have hurt them this week, but I think it pays off at end of the year. Tom Ryan also mentioned they will be wrestling in Hawaii next year to eliminate so much downtime this time of the year.

John Ice added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

http://dailyiowansports.com/?p=3025

Some fun facts

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

Quote from Matthew Nutter's post:

"Brands was giving JDJ the ole Dan Gable. "

Dan Gable- is he the coach that YOUNG WOMAN on the sidelines was refering to when she told the Big Ten TV audience that coaches Brands and Ryan "both wrestled for John -er Don- Gable at Iowa."

Last edited by Bob Preusse on January 5, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

Quote from Matthew Nutter's post:

"Brands was giving JDJ the ole Dan Gable. "

Dan Gable- is he the coach that bimbo on the sidelines was refering to when she told the Big Ten TV audience that coaches Brands and Ryan "both wrestled for John -er Don- Gable at Iowa.""

Not nice Bob...that bimbo is someone's daughter. You're better than that ;-)

Luke Moore added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

I think that this team can still win it all, but they have to change their philosophy from a couple positions.

1- they are constantly going backwards off the whistle. This will kill them at nationals in the tight matches. You can't back up to the edge and hope to score against top level guys, and that showed. Even NaTo was going backwards for 3 periods.

2- they take breaks on the edge too much. Its almost like they are unsure of the rules regarding out of bounds.

3- They have to commit more to riding on top. They are too content with a first move, and cutting a guy. Riding a guy for 30 seconds can completely change the complexion of a match.

Side note- if Martin just told the ref to start neutral, like Jaggers was telling him, he could have had a shot. But, he is not in same league as Evans. Losing close there is as good as it gets.

The word I got was that Hunter had the flu last week. I hope he gets healthy. He is one of my favorite wrestlers to watch!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 8, 2015

I watched the matches on Monday.

Should I be concerned by the perception that Bo's right leg seemed vulnerable, possibly because of stance?

It seems he just muscled out of the shots, but there are giants in the land of equal strength who will/can capitalize on it...

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 8, 2015

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"I watched the matches on Monday.

Should I be concerned by the perception that Bo's right leg seemed vulnerable, possibly because of stance?

It seems he just muscled out of the shots, but there are giants in the land of equal strength who will/can capitalize on it..."

Justin: I haven't seen Bo wrestle a lot of tough guys but the few he's wrestled have been soundly defeated--Moore and Massa. He also annihilated Wierocich last year. Very few guys are going to compete with Bo IMO and only two would be favored to beat him--Sulzer and Dieringer. So, the perception that he's vulnerable? Wishful thinking.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 8, 2015

I began this discussion by asking if Iowa can win a title. After watching on Sunday I believe they can.

This is the first Iowa team I've watched in several years that I thought pushed pace with intent.

If Coach Andrews posts from the Marysville Twitter page, he posted my exact thought:

"Pulling for the Buckeyes today, but Iowa style is alive and well, something about being physical and pushing pace still wins the close ones."

Ohio State can win, too.

I've watched Snyder lose to Gadson and Burak and thought each time he was the better wrestler. He can win a title this year.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on January 9, 2015

I don't see Iowa winning the tournament this year. I don't see them winning an individual title either. I truly think the Bucks have an huge advantage over the field "Logan Stieber". He is the only wrestler in the country who could win every match by bonus points. The biggest concern is Hunter's health. If he pulls back into All-American form we win. I think Bo Jordan, Hunter Stieber, Josh Demas,NaTo ,JDJ, and Snyder can all finish top 8. With Martin, Courts, and Tav on the outside looking in.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 9, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"I watched the matches on Monday.

It seems he just muscled out of the shots, but there are giants in the land of equal strength who will/can capitalize on it..."

Justin: I haven't seen Bo wrestle a lot of tough guys but the few he's wrestled have been soundly defeated--Moore and Massa. He also annihilated Wierocich last year. Very few guys are going to compete with Bo IMO and only two would be favored to beat him--Sulzer and Dieringer. So, the perception that he's vulnerable? Wishful thinking."

Good stuff.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next