Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: tOSU vs. Missouri matchup ...
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 14, 2014

Tell you what...today's dual "loss" showed me some nice things. I mentioned it before but DiJulius, Demas and Martin all showed well today against tough opponents.

I loved seeing JDJ get to a score in the first period. His riding looked good as did his ability to get to positions in which he functions well. Love seeing him use that crackback (or just the threat of it).

Demas wrestled a terrific match against a pain in the ass opponent. He did a great job maintaining his edge the whole match. His opponent was waiting for Josh to get impatient but he never lost his cool.

Mark Martin wrestled the same as Demas. He hit one of the nicest doubles of the season in the first 30 seconds and never looked back. Kept his head in the offensive flow while maintaining position.

I already know what to expect from the rest of the team. But it's these three guys you want to see beating quality opponents. Throw Courts and Tav into that mix too.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 15, 2014

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"The biggest concern I take away from today is Tav needs to find away to beat a kid he outweighs by over 40 pounds if he plans on being an All American this season! If he wins that match we win the dual."

I would agree but let's now act like he wrestled some 197 that bumped up to wrestle. I'm willing to bet Cox could be several of the ranked 285 in one match"

I think the strategy was to ride Tav for the 1 point, and if he escaped, put all his energy into getting that one TD. Cox didn't appear to be shooting legitimate shots the first and second periods at all.
So in three weeks we get into the Big Ten schedule. Just stay/get healthy guys.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 15, 2014

So the Bucks lose the dual based on which team scored the first TD? How about forfeits being part of the criteria? Wouldn't that make more sense?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 15, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"So the Bucks lose the dual based on which team scored the first TD? How about forfeits being part of the criteria? Wouldn't that make more sense?"

It is a part of the criteria, but gets lumped in with any other 6 point wins (pin, default, etc.)

Both teams had one 6-point match.

If I read your tweet correctly, I love your idea. Make criteria #1 "The team forfeiting the most matches is deemed the loser." Then #2 can be pin or default.

A part of me thinks it might curb forfeits, another part of me says, until duals mean more than what they do now, it won't change anything.

And still a better idea is adding an 11th weight class and the going with one criteria - WHO WON 6 MATCHES!?!?!?!?!?!? But then again, if we can't fill 10, what makes me think we're going to fill 11.

Whatevs.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on December 15, 2014

"So the Bucks lose the dual based on which team scored the first TD? How about forfeits being part of the criteria? Wouldn't that make more sense?"

Hank, I agree however, Missouri would of just threw out me or you if it was a criteria.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on December 15, 2014

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

And still a better idea is adding an 11th weight class and the going with one criteria - WHO WON 6 MATCHES!?!?!?!?!?!? But then again, if we can't fill 10, what makes me think we're going to fill 11.

Whatevs."

If the NCAA is like the Olympic committee they are more likely to cut the number of weights to nine.

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"

Hank, I agree however, Missouri would of just threw out me or you if it was a criteria."

Fine. This isn't about who would or would not have won yesterday. It's about making D1 teams--esp. top 20 teams--accountable in a small way for putting ten guys on the mat. My peeve isn't that Ohio State tied/lost; it's that they forfeited to Logan because there was no reason not to.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 15, 2014

Turns out the MIZZ 141 didn't make weight.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on December 15, 2014

Really, if not for 2 "fluke" (or whatever) pins, the bucks are undefeated. Martin in OT on a scramble against Virginia Tech, and hunter against mizou.

Alex: That's why no one should be panicked about these losses. They stink for fans and bragging rights but don't indicate any problems other than the obvious--this team needs to get healthy.

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on December 15, 2014

Its not a fluke when it could be prevented. Im going to speak with the perception that duals are important to TOSU. Tom Ryan has spoken on this several times. If the Missouri 141 didn't make weight why not weigh in someone else and bump Logan up. It was obvious Hunter wasn't ready to go....and if your willing to throw Hunter out there against a top notch kid why not let Bo wrestle a mediocre kid as he weighed in as well. All very peculiar....and I cant let them pass a second time on not realizing the criteria situation....Snyder HAS to cut his kid immediately in the 3rd and go takedowns.

Jamie: Interesting observations--and legit. This is the second time Coach Ryan has looked a bit befuddled by the OT criteria. In fairness to him, who expects to deal with them twice in a season?

Houdashelt v Logan? I think all of us would have loved to have seen that match up. But, what if Logan gets hurt going up a weight against a powerful opponent? The criticism would never end. Tough call to make and I'm sure it's one the coaches considered.

Fair points for certain Hank. To dispute that though would I rather see a wounded Hunter or a full strength Logan,,,,I mean he went up last year for an exhibition.
Here lies my quandary...I talked 3 guys who have zero interest in wrestling into making the 2.5 hour roadtrip yesterday on the premise that the HAD to see this kid wrestle (its history in the making after all ) Im constantly trumpeting the sport and them being Tosu fans in general they relented (not an easy task with Johnny footballs debut) I already figured they where going to bump Cox so I only attacked that angle briefly. If im being honest it pissed me off and embarrassed me when Logan ran out for the forfeit. Granted, we had a good time and watching Nate break Walters even in a lose had us cheering, but its these kind of opportunities that our sport simply loses out on over and over again. To this day I cant find a video of Logan beating Opan Sat. I boost of how a sophomore from Ohio St beat the #1 guy in the world and cant find a video to show.

I can get over the Missouri kid not making weight, maybe they didn't have anyone else to throw in. However forfeiting the final 2 weights against Ohio U. should be unacceptable. If we cant market our sport we are going to continue to lose programs....period!

Sorry for the rant....im probably just irritated because I had to be the dd for the road trip.

Quote from Jamie Teel's post:

"Sorry for the rant....im probably just irritated because I had to be the dd for the road trip."

Jamie: Did you see what I wrote after one bad round in Vegas (and later deleted about half)? If I were you, I'd be plenty pissed about the forfeit.

Random Comments:

--I have spent 55 dollars this month for the privilege of watching wrestling on line (20 to FLO, 15 to BTN2 and 10 to CBS Local/BuckeyeVision). Well worth it. I'd pay more for a Browns ticket and they usually stink.

--The only reason Mayes failed to make weight was because his opponent was Logan. No way to prove it but I'm sure he remembers 1st round NCAA's last year when his shoulders, ears and butt were all brought together in a single point. As he was thinking about it, he probably headed to Greg Debbes Taco place and scarfed down a dozen.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next