Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: I dislike the 5 second stall call
Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on December 7, 2014

I'm talking about the situation where the top wrestler only has a hold below the waist and then the referee starts counting to 5 and calls stalling if the top wrestler has not worked up on the bottom man.

I understand the intent of the call, which is to prevent someone just hanging on to a leg and not doing anything else, which is clearly stalling. However, they are calling it even for the situation where the bottom wrestler is jumping around the mat like a jack rabbit and the top wrestler is doing his darnedest to hold on and get some control over the bottom wrestler.

I think the referee should have some discretion in deciding whether the top wrestler in truly stalling.

Bruce

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 7, 2014

Agree.

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on December 7, 2014

Agree. I think the rule should only be in place in 30 second ride-out situations. In previous years, I coached my guys to just go down to a leg in overtime if they hadn't gotten any stall calls yet and weren't very good on top. During regulation...it should be referees discretion.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 7, 2014

One problem with some of the rule changes is the inconsistency between officials. Some are quickly making stall calls while others aren't. Same with the new TD rules.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on December 8, 2014

I asked Fred if he would chime in on this. Hopefully Jim will as well.

I like the rule's intent, but then I agree that there seems like there are other places it is applied that don't make sense. Or, I guess it seems like the top wrestler is doing all the can not to get kicked in the face as the bottom wrestler is racing toward the boundary. Seems to me that is when the gray area is created. Even the wrestlers seem confused at those times.

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on December 8, 2014

Honestly...I don't like it. But a referee does what he is told by the rule book.
My suggestion is...with this new ruke there is NO mystery when we are looking at stalling. In fact I told 2 members of the rules comitted to change the rule so that ANYTIME a referee is debating if wrestler is stalling....the referee starts a visual and verbal count. Now if the wrestler is smart..he will move up or discontinue his stall technique and begin to actively wrestle.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on December 8, 2014

I saw this topic but chose not to respond until I saw where it was going.

First, I have absolutely no experience with the rule so it is hard to have an opinion that means very much. I could easily be wrong here but it seems that people always view stalling as subjective and they want more defined rules concerning it. Here we have a very well defined area (not that all agree with) and people don't like that aspect and want officials to exercise judgement. As Fred says, we just have to call the rules as they are given to us. We do not have the option to ignore them.

I kind of reminds me of (I think) four years ago when we started to penalize a wrestler with stalling virtually whenever they went off the mat. It was a real point of emphasis at the rules clinic at Lehigh. By about half way through the season enforcement of the rule seemed to just go away. No one (least of all officials) liked it.

Some of you might be old enough to remember when we used to do a 5 second count on what we viewed as stalling. This was at least 25 years ago. I used to tell kids in pre meet that if they heard me counting, and no one was on their back, that I was looking at "stalling" somewhere. Get busy. This seems to be in line with what Fred wrote. However there are issues with this as well. Say we have a situation where the wrestlers are on the mat and neither one is doing anything. I start a visual count and Coach A is sure that Wrestler B is stalling. Coach B is thinking the opposite. Obviously a call is coming but who gets called? IMO, it just invites problems.

Just random thoughts!

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on December 8, 2014

Jim....if only there was a way to distinguish between the 2 wrestlers...say by color ;)
Swipe with the red arm or green arm. Problem solved!

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on December 8, 2014

Fred,
I am SO right handed that I would always mess that up.
Besides, now you are swiping the green hand and the red coach doesn't agree with what he sees you doing. You now get 5 seconds of his displeasure. Lucky you!
What I am trying to say is that I don't really think it is needed.

Quote from Fred Feeney's post:

"Jim....if only there was a way to distinguish between the 2 wrestlers...say by color ;)
Swipe with the red arm or green arm. Problem solved!"

Fred is out there swiping both arms at once looking like he is doing the funky chicken or something. I want video of that!

I think it was a match Johnni was in a few weeks ago I'm thinking of. The kid is kicking and crawling across the mat as quickly as he can to escape...all the while also fleeing the mat. In the mean time, Johnni gets a 5 count trying to stay on him. Johnni literally looks at the ref and shrugs his shoulders as if to say, "What do you want me to do." I mean he did follow the kid right out of bounds while trying not to get kicked in the face. So in that situation...who is stalling? The kid fleeing the mat or the kid trying to stay on top (whom did not drop intend to drop to a lower leg BTW, it's just how the "scramble" shook out)?

► Add to the Discussion