Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Peters v Tomasello
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 7, 2014

It has been suggested on themat.com forum that Dylan purposely defaulted out after losing to Dance in order not to wrestle again against Tomasello. The rationale is that it protects his seed at NCAA's.

Does anyone think that this is a possibility? Or is it more likely that Peters was hurt and Schwab yanked him?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

John DiJulius added to this discussion on December 7, 2014

I find it hard to believe a coach or athlete would duck competition. All these kids have been programmed their whole lives going after the best competition, traveling to Tulsa as kids, Ironman & Fargo and now the top D1 college wrestling programs and schedule. Besides it is December and the season is just underway, wrestlers will have a lot more tough matches and losses ahead

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 7, 2014

Agree.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 7, 2014

Absolute possibility. Just depends upon the coach and his philosophy about the his wrestler and the season.

or maybe everyone plays by the same set of rules.

He might have been a little dinged up and his coach did not see the value in further competition.

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on December 7, 2014

I think the way our society has commercialized sports like football and basketball and the way modern media operates has lead to people believing they have the right to know something that is actually none of their business. If I were a coach and it wasn't required of me, I would never purposely let me wrestler's injuries become public. And, I would recommend that they not disclose it on their own either. We as fans tend to forget that the athletes are not competing for our enjoyment. I get that fans travel and pay to watch the wrestlers compete....but the first priority should obviously be on the safety of the competitors.

I have refrained from contributing to these types of conversations on themat.com thus far. They consistently accuse Tom Ryan of having his wrestlers duck competition. Personally, I think it takes a special kind of stupid to think that Logan Stieber would fly to Washington DC, make weight, and then suddenly decide he is too scared of the third place finisher from the previous year to wrestle.

Their accusations against Bo and Hunter stem from the fact that the injuries were not disclosed. Regardless of the injury though, the fact remains that even though matches in December are important....they are not as important as matches in March. If competing now inhibits the healing process, only a fool would make that tradeoff. I'd bet a large sum of money that if Bo's broken toe (or whatever it was) happened in March, he would have wrestled through it.

As for Peters.....I think it would be unfair to apply the same thinking that pisses me off when people do it to OSU to him. Tons of people lose in the semi-finals and then default out. Less common in college but it still happens frequently. Minor injuries seem a lot worse after a loss. It is definitely a sign of weakness to not be able to handle the disappointment of a loss and come back and take third....but I think it is a big stretch to say they are doing it to avoid wrestling someone in particular.

I'll get off my soapbox now....lol. Seriously though, I know it is cliche, but those losses will absolutely help Nate. From Dance, he found out that he has to find a way to keep people off his ankles when he is finishing a shot. He needed to learn it anyway if he wants to beat Delgado. And there is no way he will ever get sucked back like that again. From Peters....he learned that you can't bulldog through a bad positions at this level. And that it isn't worth it to try when you have a lead.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 8, 2014

Brandon--good commentary. But one quibble--having watched Dance hit a chin pull on Peters, he can hit it on anyone. Everyone who wrestles Dance will have to be careful.

NaTo should watch tape of how Garrett countered Dance's roll through attempts too. I'm sure Tom Ryan has (or will).

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on December 8, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"But one quibble--having watched Dance hit a chin pull on Peters, he can hit it on anyone. Everyone who wrestles Dance will have to be careful.

NaTo should watch tape of how Garrett countered Dance's roll through attempts too. I'm sure Tom Ryan has (or will)."

I do think think this weekend showed that if NaTo fixes a couple of position errors....he can "dance" with any of them. Anxious to see NaTo vs Waters next weekend. He needs to get that banner 1st top 5 win! It was so frustrating to see NaTo up 7-2 and get stuck, but that will make a champ out of him.

As for the OP, I can't imagine Peters ducked Tomasello, but I like the commentary that if he was injured at all in the Dance match...it's not a stretch to rest him.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on December 8, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Brandon--good commentary. But one quibble--having watched Dance hit a chin pull on Peters, he can hit it on anyone. Everyone who wrestles Dance will have to be careful.

NaTo should watch tape of how Garrett countered Dance's roll through attempts too. I'm sure Tom Ryan has (or will)."

According to the people on yappi Tom Ryan is a horrible coach and doesn't develop anyone so don't count on him helping Nato. I on the other hand think he is a heck of coach and will help Nato beat Dance if they wrestle again.

Matt Nutter added to this discussion on December 8, 2014

According to the people on yappi Tom Ryan is a horrible coach and doesn't develop anyone so don't count on him helping Nato. I on the other hand think he is a heck of coach and will help Nato beat Dance if they wrestle again.[/quote]

And this is why I log onto this site daily and Yappi about once a month. Tom Ryan is as good of a leader as anyone in the country. To think that Nato is not being developed because of a couple tough losses is absurd. I still believe NaTo come march is a top 5 kid on the podium, and as mentioned before these type of losses are good for him. Being outright beat may shake your confidence, but to be winning two matches and let them slip away because of positioning errors is a great learning experience, and also confirms your right there with the top kids.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 8, 2014

Quote from Matthew Nutter's post:

"And this is why I log onto this site daily and Yappi about once a month."

Boom!

(It's not true for me, but my attitude reading on here is MUCH different than when reading on Yappi.)

Kudos to the Kirtland Constable.

► Add to the Discussion