Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Michigan's Next Football Coach
Brian Grimm added to this discussion on December 4, 2014

Michigan has a football team? Learn something new every day.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 4, 2014

Quote from Brian Grimm's post:

"Michigan has a football team? Learn something new every day."

Does Kent have a football team?

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on December 4, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Does Kent have a football team?"

Yes Hank!

And two of Kent State's most famous football alumni were linebackers.

Two young men named Lou Holz ( a 160 lb. linebacker) and Jack Lambert (of Steeler fame).

I understand that the Holz character also coached a little bit!

Roe Fox added to this discussion on December 4, 2014

"

Ask Akron. They believe Kent has a team.

Harbaugh would be perfect but yes, he would burn out. They would be competitive immediately. Did great at Stanford. I think he wants a Super Bowl.

I believe Miles interviewed two times. I understood he said no before they hired Rich Rod. He had some premiere talent at LSU then. Didn't know they turned him down for Choke. I don't doubt Steve heard that but I find it hard to believe they turned down Miles for a guy from Ball St.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on December 4, 2014

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"Part of that conversation yesterday told me things I didn't know. Les Miles has interviewed for Michigan twice and thought he was getting it when Hoke was picked. The thinking is that he would love to make Michigan his final home as a coach. Not just love to be at Michigan, but would KILL for it.

It was interesting to hear."

if Les Miles previouly interviewed for Michigan it means 97thefan knows something no national media has ever mentioned. Based on comments Les Miles made back then i doubt he did interview for Michigan, though it is his alma mater (Miles is an Elyria native btw). Talk show guys just blather sometimes.

Miles had a great gig at LSU, won a national championship there beating Ohio state after 2007 season-- he would have been applying in 2008, thus i doubt it. And Michigan would not have turned down the national champ winning coach-- think about it.

i think after firing RichRod-- now a Coach of the Year candidate at U of Arizona -- after firing Rich Rodriguez, after only giving him 3 years, i think when the Michigan job opened up Mich found the list of candidates less than they expected thus Hoke was selected from a weak field. ...BobP"

Haha. I expected some wary response. I lend some level of credence to what I was hearing because that station is the flagship for Ohio State and those guys (some former players) would at least be closer to real information than others. Included in that process would be sharing information with counterparts in Ann Arbor. Still doesn't mean you shouldn't be wary.

I googled this: http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201110/book-excerpt-how-michigan-chose-rich-rodriguez-and-brady-hoke-instead-les-miles-and-

Basically (or somewhat) supports what I was hearing.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 4, 2014

perhaps i was in error then, perhaps Les Miles did interview with Mich back in 2008-- but it, imo, was merely a courtesy interview as a former player there. After all he had just defeated Ohio St in the national championship bowl game in January 2008-- he wasnt intending to go anywhere, again imo.

certainly Mich would selected him over Hoke if he wanted the job. ..s/BobP

Steve Lester added to this discussion on December 4, 2014

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"perhaps i was in error then, perhaps Les Miles did interview with Mich back in 2008-- but it, imo, was merely a courtesy interview as a former player there. After all he had just defeated Ohio St in the national championship bowl game in January 2008-- he wasnt intending to go anywhere, again imo.

certainly Mich would selected him over Hoke if he wanted the job. ..s/BobP"

What the Columbus guys were saying is that certain Michigan folks hated Miles, but had to "pretend" they were seriously considering him. The book excerpt supports that.

Who knows though.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 5, 2014

tht would be quite a story, if true, Steve.

i'm still thinking Dan Mullins, success at Miss St, from the "Urban Meyer" tree of coaches.

But after 2 coaches in 7 years, and 10 losses to Ohio St in 11 years, i'd say Michigan will BREAK the bank on this hire -- so the name could be a shocker. They need a big recognition name badly right now.

Miles included, and maybe a big NFL name? Harbaugh of course included. --i love colege, have followed closely for well over 50 years, but i don't follow the NFL, who form the NFL might be a candidate?? The Steelers coach perhaps?? Tony Dungy?

Brian Grimm added to this discussion on December 7, 2014

"

Once every 10 years.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2