Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. Virginia Tech Live Stream
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 23, 2014

Dual meets can and do often hinge on one unexpected result. Today it was Martin giving up a fall in OT. Martin wrestles hard but he's too one dimensional and he failed to finish a shot late in the bout that would have won him the match. I know that loss had to hurt and I feel for him.

--Tavanello did get the only TD in regulation but Walz was taking the risks so I can't complain too much about the stall call.

--Like Martin, Tomasello was in deep on a shot late in his bout. Tomasello may or may not have finished but the ref stopped it much too quickly (or so it seemed to me). I thought the reffing in his match bout left a lot to be desired. Tomasello will learn from that bout. I like him in a re-match.

--I like Justin Kresevic. He competes hard. What he lacks in skill, he's trying to make up with effort.

--Languis did his job. He'll be helpful at 149 while we wait for Hunter to return from whatever it is that's keeping him out of the lineup.

--If you expect Kyle Snyder to win an NCAA title, you're likely to be disappointed. He's very good but this match showed he's susceptible to a certain style. Also, there are no angles to his attacks.

--Ken Courts impressed me. He gave up the early TD but kept his cool. He got stronger as the match went on and finally broke his opponent. When's the last time Courts won a match by wearing down an opponent? That shows growth.

--JDJ has got to find a way to score. Everyone knows what he wants to do and is trying to deny him. The better ones will do it. Good to see him win with riding but he needs to lock down opponents tighter on top.

--Demas kept his cool and blew open a tight match. Like Courts, he's showing growth.

Yes, it would have been nice to have Hunter and BoJo. But the Bucks should have still won. Virginia Tech seemed a bit hungrier and got after it a bit harder. We'll see how they respond against UVA.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 23, 2014

Agree with much of your assessment Hank. Only thing I disagree with is Walz taking risks in third. Tav had as many legit shots as Walz did. No way around the sucky-ness of that call.

I see a need to get much better on finishes. Tomasello, Krevisc, Martin, and Courts all had singles that should have been finished but VT was better in those positions. That needs to be addressed.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on November 23, 2014

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

" Tomasello, Krevisc, Martin, and Courts all had singles that should have been finished but VT was better in those positions. That needs to be addressed."

Most important assessment from this match!

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on November 23, 2014

The LBF in the TB2 was the back-breaker in the context of this dual meet.

The stalling penalty at the end of the third didn't exactly help either.

That's what this dual meet came down to, given the personnel that each team had available to them (Ohio State had backups in at 149 and 165, VT has a lineup shift coming from 141-157).

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 23, 2014

"Agree with much of your assessment Hank. Only thing I disagree with is Walz taking risks in third. Tav had as many legit shots as Walz did. No way around the sucky-ness of that call.

I see a need to get much better on finishes. Tomasello, Krevisc, Martin, and Courts all had singles that should have been finished but VT was better in those positions. That needs to be addressed."

Courts adjusted and finished every time after that first one. Tomasello finished twice. It's hard to finish on a guy who is good at diving to the leg and rolling through.

Martin was seconds away from finishing when Epperly hit him with a desperation step over type of counter. Martin was not expecting it. I haven't seen it done very often.

Regardless, those positions need to be strengthened. The crackdown position that Courts was in isn't that difficult of a finish, but the urgency to do so didn't appear to be there. This position is vital -- especially at 125 when you will be competing for a national title vs. guys like Delgado, Dance, Garnett, etc. All those guys dive through and ankle roll you to death.

Last edited by Brady Hiatt on November 23, 2014; edited 1 time in total

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 23, 2014

[quote="Patrick Campbell"]

" Tomasello, Krevisc, Martin, and Courts all had singles that should have been finished but VT was better in those positions. That needs to be addressed."

Most important assessment from this match![/quote

Rex..Go! : )

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on November 23, 2014

I think it's no need to hit the panic button. Ohio State wrestled a good team this afternoon. You must realize were missing two starters( BO and Hunter) with the latter being a two-time All-American. This year Bucks are similar to the Cavs a lot of Hype and young talent with one superstar. I think because of the hype we will see everyone's best effort each time we step on the mat. I think V-tech just wrestled a little better today. I think the effort was their we just need the experience because we have the talent. I can't wait until Feb and Mar.

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"I think it's no need to hit the panic button. Ohio State wrestled a good team this afternoon. You must realize were missing two starters( BO and Hunter) with the latter being a two-time All-American. This year Bucks are similar to the Cavs a lot of Hype and young talent with one superstar. I think because of the hype we will see everyone's best effort each time we step on the mat. I think V-tech just wrestled a little better today. I think the effort was their we just need the experience because we have the talent. I can't wait until Feb and Mar."

Absolutely. Young guys need these matches to progress. Only disagree in that this team has more than 1 superstar -- but only 1 is proven yet.

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"
Rex..Go! : )"

Nobody loves Rex more than I, but I don't need his permission to have an opinion ;-)

What did you see as concerns in this dual Rex?

My concerns -- Finishes on singles (see above), lack of urgency when team points are on the line, reffing in Blacksburg, VA.

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"I think it's no need to hit the panic button. Ohio State wrestled a good team this afternoon. You must realize were missing two starters( BO and Hunter) with the latter being a two-time All-American. This year Bucks are similar to the Cavs a lot of Hype and young talent with one superstar. I think because of the hype we will see everyone's best effort each time we step on the mat. I think V-tech just wrestled a little better today. I think the effort was their we just need the experience because we have the talent. I can't wait until Feb and Mar."

Good stuff! NaTo and Snyder are guys that will improve from their adversity today. The alarming things revolve around seasoned veterans that the team needs to see better production out of.

And, we need to get Hunter & BoJo back in the line-up. Hunter just needs to get back to high level competition and BoJo needs to be on the mat to see where his adjustments lie.

I was not alarmed by the team today, but there are some obvious needs to be addressed.

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"

"

Nobody loves Rex more than I, but I don't need his permission to have an opinion ;-)

What did you see as concerns in this dual Rex?"

No offense intended my friend, totally agree with your opinion (and right to it).

I just enjoying reading Rex's insights.

NT vs. J.D. match:

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251734-Wrestling-News-and-Updates/video/753964-125lbs-Match-Joey-Dance-Virginia-Tech-vs-Nathan-Tomasello-Ohio-State#.VHJjjyh66Wc

"

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"

"

What did you see as concerns in this dual Rex?"

No offense intended my friend, totally agree with your opinion (and right to it).

I just enjoying reading Rex's insights."

Me too :-)

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next