Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Jouneyman Tussle Preview- OSU in duals vs. Army and ASU
Pat Altvater added to this discussion on November 15, 2014

The following is an edited article from the Army Wrestling site previewing today's match at 2:00 PM.

Army Wrestling to Take on No. 4 Ohio State

Nov. 13, 2014
WEST POINT, N.Y. – After finishing in fourth place in its season-opening tournament, the Brockport/Oklahoma Invitational, the Army wrestling team is set for a pair of dual meets this weekend. The Black Knights will travel to Clifton Park, N.Y., to square off with No. 4 Ohio State at the Journeymen Tussle on Saturday followed by their home opener against Franklin & Marshall on Sunday.

“We have a big weekend coming up with our first two dual meets of the year,” said head coach Kevin Ward. “This whole week has been focused on making corrections and paying attention to some details and some positions we need to make corrections on to set ourselves up to have good performances this weekend. We’re excited for it.”

There will be a live stream of Sunday’s match from Gillis Field House provided by Knight Vision. Follow Army wrestling on Twitter (@Army_Wrestling) and visit goARMYsports.com for updates, results and recaps throughout the season.

LAST TIME OUT
Army finished fourth out of seven teams at the Brockport/Oklahoma Invitational on Saturday with a total of 106 points. Senior Chandler Smith was the lone champion for the Black Knights, taking first place at 165 pounds.

Junior Brian Harvey (174), sophomore Russell Parsons (157) and freshman Andrew Mendel (149) all earned runner-up finishes. Sophomore Logan Everett (141) and senior Cole Gracey (165) notched third-place showings as well for Army.

In total, 16 of Army’s wrestlers placed at the Brockport/Oklahoma Invitational, also known as Oklahoma Gold. No. 21 Oklahoma came away as the tournament champion with 173.5 total points.

WARRIOR CHANDLER
Chandler Smith received the Lt. Gen. Harold “Hal” Moore Warrior Athlete of Excellence Award over the weekend. The award is given to a West Point firstie who exemplifies the leadership qualities of retired Lt. Gen. Harold “Hal” Moore and principles of the Warrior Ethos.

Smith has 44 career victories with Army and led the team with 31 wins in 2013-14. Former Army wrestler Tyler Rauenzahn was honored with the award last year.

BARNES RECOGNIZED NATIONALLY
Junior Bryce Barnes has been recognized in two national individual rankings at the 197-pound weight class this season. Flowrestling has Barnes ranked 20th in the Asics FloRankings, released on Tuesday, while WIN Magazine had Barnes at No. 19 in the preseason rankings but moved him up to 17th in its latest rankings.

Barnes posted an 8-4 record in dual matches last season and qualified for the NCAA Championships in each of his first two seasons with Army.

ALL-TIME SERIES
With Ohio State: Army and Ohio State have met five times in program history with the Buckeyes holding a 4-1 advantage. This will be the first dual between the two programs since the 1989-90 season, which was won by Ohio State, 22-8.

The two squads met twice during the 1983-84 season, 24-18 and 26-17 victories for the Buckeyes. Ohio State earned a 15-11 win in the first-ever meeting between the two back in 1961-62. Army’s lone win over the Buckeyes came during the 1976-77 season, 22-18.

SCOUTING THE COMPETITION
Ohio State is fourth in the USA Today/NWCA Division I Coaches Poll, which was released by the National Wrestling Coaches Association on Tuesday. The Buckeyes are second in the InterMat dual meet rankings, No. 3 in both InterMat’s tournament rankings and the Flowrestling poll, as well as fourth in WIN’s Tournament Power Index (TPI).

In its first showing of the season, Ohio State finished with four champions at the Michigan State Open on Sunday. Nathan Tomasello (125), Josh Demas (157), Bo Jordan (165) and Kyle Snyder (197) all claimed titles for the Buckeyes.

The Big Ten powerhouse went 13-5 last season and finished sixth at the NCAA Championships. The Buckeyes have a wrestler ranked in the top 20 at all 10 weight classes in the InterMat, Flowrestling and WIN individual rankings. Logan Stieber is No. 1 in all three rankings at 141 pounds.

Since Army has not yet wrestled any dual meets, I am projecting their starters based on results of their performance at their Brockport/Oklahoma tournament results.
125: Sean Badua or Hunter Wood
133: Christian Doyle
141: Logan Everett
149: Andrew Mendel
157: Russell Parsons
165: Chandler Smith or Coleman Gracie
174: Brian Harvey
184: Samson Imonode
197: Stephen Snyder
285: Trevor Smith

The following article is edited from the Arizona State University Wrestling web-site (and starters are projected from their West Va. dual this week.)

Sun Devil Wrestling To Open Dual Slate On The Road On Saturday, the Sun Devils will travel to Albany, N.Y., to face No. 3/4 Ohio State and Binghamton as part of the Journeymen Tussle.

ASU’s dual with Binghamton is set for Noon MT/2 p.m. ET, while the match against Ohio State will begin at 3:45 p.m. ET.

The Journeymen Tussle matches will be streamed live on FloWrestling for subscribers.

PROBABLE COMPETITORS
125-Judson Preskitt
133-Dalton Brady 5-0
141-Mech Spraggins 4-3
149-Christian Pagdilao 5-1 or Kraus 1-0
157-Oliver Pierce 3-1 or Joel Smith 4-1
165-Jacen Petersen 2-2 or Coleman Gracie
174-Ray Waters 3-1
184-Blake Stauffer 5-0
197-Josh DaSilveira 3-3, or Wes Moore 3-2
285-Chace Eskam 5-1

RANKINGS
Returning NCAA qualifier Blake Stauffer is ranked WIN Magazine rankings at No. 8, and in the InterMat poll at No. 9 at 184-pounds. Stauffer is also ranked at No. 10 in the WrestlingReport D-I Rankings.

As a team, the Sun Devils are ranked at No. 35 in the WIN Magazine Tournament Power Index.

HEAD COACH ZEKE JONES
The seventh coach in ASU wrestling history, Zeke Jones was hired in April 2014.

An Olympic silver medalist for the United States, Jones was the 1991 World Champion at 52kg, a four-time World-Cup Champion, and coached United States’ Olympians in the 1996, 2000, 2004, and 2012 Olympic Games.

A member of ASU’s 1988 NCAA Wrestling Championship team, Jones was a three-time All-American and Pac-10 Champion for the Sun Devils. A national runner-up at 118, Jones sits at No. 4 in ASU’s career record book in both overall victories (134) and dual victories (59). He also holds the school record for dual match victories in a season with 22 during the 1989-90 campaign.

THE COACHING STAFF
Joining head coach Zeke Jones on the 2014-15 coaching staff are third-year assistant coach Lee Pritts, first-year assistant coach Chris Pendleton, and volunteer assistant Jordan Oliver.

Pendleton previously served as an assistant coach at Wyoming for four seasons, and specialized in training the team’s upper weight classes. Pendleton was a two-time NCAA Champion and three-time All-American at Oklahoma State.

Oliver, also a two-time NCAA Champion from Oklahoma State was a four-time All-American for the Cowboys, and set the career record for pins with 54. In his second year with USA Wrestling, Oliver stands as the No. 2 wrestler at 65 kg.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 15, 2014

FYI, just saw on Track Wrestling Jake Ryan and Micah Jordan entered, and top seeds, at the Eastern Mich Open today.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 15, 2014

Watched Army's Russell Parsons beat Mike Collica when both were in high school. Very tough young man. Reminded me of C.P. Schlatter.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on November 15, 2014

Below is the OSU summary at the Tussle copied from the OSU Wrestling site.

Ohio State Wrestling
Journeymen Tussle
Clifton, Park, N.Y.

Ohio State (2-0) 37, Army (0-1) 6

165: Chandler Smith (ARMY) decision over Justin Kresevic (OSU) 2-0 (Army 3, Ohio State 0)
174: Mark Martin (OSU) decision over Brian Harvey (ARMY) 7-4 (Army 3, Ohio State 3)
184: Kenny Courts (OSU) major decision over Austin Wilding (ARMY) 15-4 (Ohio State 7, Army 3)
197: Matthew O'Hara (OSU) decision over Stephen Snyder (ARMY) 4-2 (Ohio State 10, Army 3)
285: Nick Tavanello (OSU) fall over Trevor Smith (ARMY) 3:15 (Ohio State 16, Army 3)
125: Nathan Tomasello (OSU) fall over Sean Badua (ARMY) (Ohio State 22, Army 3)
133: Johnni DiJulius (OSU) fall over Christian Doyle (ARMY) (Ohio State 28, Army 3)
141: Logan Stieber (OSU) fall over Logan Everett (ARMY) 2:05 (Ohio State 34, Army 3)
149: Andrew Mendel (ARMY) decision over Jake Donatelli (OSU) 4-1 (Ohio State 34, Army 6)
157: Josh Demas (OSU) decision over Russell Parsons (ARMY) 2-1 (Ohio State 37, Army 6)

Ohio State (3-0) 30, Arizona State (2-1) 10

165: Jacen Petersen (ASU) major decision over Justin Kresevic (OSU) 10-1 (ASU 4, Ohio State 0)
174: Raymond Waters (ASU) decision over Mark Martin (OSU) 7-5 (OT) (ASU 7, Ohio State 0)
184: Kenny Courts (OSU) decision over Blake Stauffer (ASU) 3-1 (OT) (ASU 7, Ohio State 3)
197: Kyle Snyder (OSU) major decision over Josh Dasilveira (ASU) 21-8 (ASU 7, Ohio State 7)
285: Nick Tavanello (OSU) decision over Chace Eskam (ASU) 3-2 (Ohio State 10, ASU 7)
125: Nathan Tomasello (OSU) fall over Judson Preskitt (ASU) (Ohio State 16, ASU 7)
133: Johnni DiJulius won by forfeit (Ohio State 22, ASU 7)
141: Logan Stieber (OSU) won by tf. over Demechino Spraggins (ASU) 20-4 (Ohio State 27, ASU 7)
149: Preston McCalmon (ASU) decision over Blake Riley-Hawkins (OSU) 6-0 (Ohio State 27, ASU 10)
157: Randy Languis (OSU) decision over Joel Smith (ASU) 5-4 (Ohio State 30, ASU 10)

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 15, 2014

I like when Ryan brings a few extra bodies(Languis & O'Hara) to these multiple dual meets where he can insert them without jeopardizing the outcome to give the starters a little bit of a break early in the season.
I see Jake Ryan & Micah Jordan both won titles at E. Mich Open today. I guess Tom is RS Jake?

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on November 15, 2014

That was nice of Coach Ryan to substitute O'Hara for Snyder at 197 lbs. against Army so that Kyle wouldn't have to wrestle his brother. The little brother beating up on his elder is not cool.

Quote from Christopher Henderson's post:

"That was nice of Coach Ryan to substitute O'Hara for Snyder at 197 lbs. against Army so that Kyle wouldn't have to wrestle his brother. The little brother beating up on his elder is not cool."

They kept mentioning the Army wrestler's name was Snyder. I thought it was coincidence.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 15, 2014

I would assume Jake Ryan is redshirting, which is a good sign, I think. If Hunter wasn't coming back then I think you'd see Jake in there. Hee could always wrestle this year and RS next year.

I'm kind of surprised Randy Languis hasn't cut down to 149 to fill in for Hunter. I guess he's grown; last year he was smallish at 157.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on November 16, 2014

I'm just getting time to watch these matches this morning as I was guiding all day yesterday. No shame in a man crush on NaTo. While I have no desire to garner a restraining order...I still believe that he and Snyder are the most likely title winners (of the 3 frosh) this year with BoJo a half a tick behind them. Yea yea, I'm fully aware of whom is in the 125 class and all of the rankings. NaTo has a style more like Logan Stieber than anyone else in that room (other than Logan of course). I mean that in reference to positioning at all times, ability to create scoring, and constant pressure whether that is pushing pace, hand fighting, or abusive pressure from the top position. I can't wait to see him and Gillman go at it. I hope to see that one live!

One last thing... I just can't get over what a man physique Snyder has for being an 18 y/o boy. It most certainly allows him to maintain an inordinate amount of pressure on opponents. The only downside I see at this point (which has not cost him to this point) is that because he has been so physically overpowering, I think it accounts for some of his double leg attempts from outer space. The ASU match yesterday was a good example. He tried a lot of doubles from waaaay out there. And while the kid he was wrestling was not in his league, he had great hips and was able to fend those shots off nearly every time.

I just say that to say, Kyle cannot get lazy with any D1 wrestler and think that he can simply over-power anyone he wants. Someone along the way will make him pay for that if he does. The good news is that when Kyle is pressuring and hand fighting and sets up a takedown....he is a freakin' wizard. He just can't be sloppy and expect to get away with it the way he has with other levels of competition in the past. I will absolutely credit him with being one of the most enjoyable 18 year old wrestlers to watch that I have ever seen at the D1 level. Admittedly that boy is more of a man than I'll ever be. Keep him healthy for March!

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 16, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"I'm kind of surprised Randy Languis hasn't cut down to 149 to fill in for Hunter. I guess he's grown; last year he was smallish at 157."

I wonder if he can't until after a certain date. With the hydration testing I know you're only allowed to lose so much weight per week. Maybe he will when he's allowed.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on November 16, 2014

I feel Kyle Synder has been most impressive with wins over Wellington and Baxter thus far. I notice him shooting a lot of doubles from outside against ASU also, however my biggest concern with Kyle is top work. He rode the ASU kid for around three minutes but much was due to the takedowns he produced. I think if a match comes down to top position it could present a challenge for Kyle. In the end, I think he will rise to the occasion. I think Kyle is a top 3 guy at 197 right now. Also Courts getting a takedown it OT against a nationally ranked opponent was huge. Kyle being in the room everyday can't be overstated. Tomasello has a brutal style for 125 pound weight class. I think his style could bode well against a Delgado because he finishes so quickly, which could counter his funk. I think against an explosive wrestler like Garrett it could be problematic for Nate. I can't wait until this weight class plays out! I think Nate is clearly a top 8 guy right now and closing the gap daily. I think Bo Jordan has the ability to ride almost anyone in the country. His win over Massa was dominate in my opinion. Massa is no slouch in his own right he beat the 4th rank 165 Harger last year. I think Bo is a top 5 165 at this point, with plenty of upside. Overall, the Bucks have a high ceiling, and have the potential to win their first national championship.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 16, 2014

Worth mentioning that Logan looked amazing. His ASU opponent fought hard the whole time and it didn't phase Logan in the least. He was also really fast with his shots and his mat work was crisp. Gonna be a long year for his opponents.

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

" however my biggest concern with Kyle is top work. He rode the ASU kid for around three minutes but much was due to the takedowns he produced."

Same thought crossed my mind watching that match. I would like to see more out of him on top, but I'm not sure if it's because he has a need to develop further or just has had a need to dominate on top much at this point. We'll find out soon enough. December will be very telling for all three frosh.

Good point!

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next