Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Josh Demas
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 14, 2014

Jack: His face planted into the mat with not only his foce but also the force of hold the weight of Demas.

I just happened to be taping (camera phone style) at that moment. It was bad. Whatever momentum he had moving forward -and it was a full level - stopped when his face hit the mat.

For me the fear set in when Ian lay motionless on the mat for a good half minute.

Point of Note: I do not think continuation of the match was in the ref's hands at that point.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 14, 2014

Miller's head hit hard. The absolute correct move was to stop the match.

Now, here's something to think about. Rankings. Demas just beat a top 3 wrestler even though it was by injury default.

Logan had one bad match last season and it cost him in the rankings all year. Even at NCAA's he was the 2 seed because of that one loss.

How does this loss--regardless of circumstances--affect both Miller and Demas in the rankings? Could it have implications for Miller at end of season seeding?

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on November 14, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Miller's head hit hard. The absolute correct move was to stop the match.

Now, here's something to think about. Rankings. Demas just beat a top 3 wrestler even though it was by injury default.

Logan had one bad match last season and it cost him in the rankings all year. Even at NCAA's he was the 2 seed because of that one loss.

How does this loss--regardless of circumstances--affect both Miller and Demas in the rankings? Could it have implications for Miller at end of season seeding?"

Interesting question, Hank.

My first thought while watching the match last night, was that I sincerely hoped that Ian was OK, and since there was absolutely no movement from him for 45 to 60 seconds, I was concerned for spinal injury the way he hit the mat. Then I prayed for him that he was still healthy and could live a normal life after that moment. - That's how bad that fall was!

My second thought, was that as much of a fan I am of Josh Demas, this wasn't really a victory for him, but survival as an undefeated wrestler through a bad situation. This match was very close and would have been a dog-fight to the end, and if anything, I would have given the edge in the opening moments to Ian.

Yes, I expect that you are right, that to 'raters' who see this match on paper only, it is a win for Josh over a major opponent. - But was the victory truly earned?

For me, the biggest thrill of this match was to see Ian start to move again after laying 'ice-cold-rigid' for almost a minute. Seeing him walk off the mat allowed me to breathe again.

I know that we are all a little sad to see unsportsman-like behavior, but I understand the anger that Ian felt as he threw his head-gear and knocked over a chair leaving the arena. - There's never a good 'bad sportsman' penalty, but I am sure Coach Andrassy understood his disappointment and his competitiveness.

So, yes I hope that Josh continues to move up the ranks, but the biggest victory of that match was realizing that the young man from Kent State was healthy without major negative consequences of that fall.

Kim Stone added to this discussion on November 14, 2014

Being 2X Buckeye Fan of the Year but a Oak Harbor alumni, this match was hard for me to watch! My son Drew & Ian were great friends & team mates & my heart sank to see Ian lay there on the mat. As he jumped to his feet, I chuckled & remembered what a freak he is & so glad he was ok. I love watching both Ian & Josh wrestle because they can do the freakish moves! I hate rankings of any kind, just look at stupid college football! Come March, it doesn't matter the rankings, everyone is great & you have to beat them as the come. Josh & Ian will meet again & I can't wait because it will be the match to watch!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 14, 2014

Quote from Kim Stone's post:

"Being 2X Buckeye Fan of the Year but a Oak Harbor alumni, this match was hard for me to watch! My son Drew & Ian were great friends & team mates & my heart sank to see Ian lay there on the mat. As he jumped to his feet, I chuckled & remembered what a freak he is & so glad he was ok. I love watching both Ian & Josh wrestle because they can do the freakish moves! I hate rankings of any kind, just look at stupid college football! Come March, it doesn't matter the rankings, everyone is great & you have to beat them as the come. Josh & Ian will meet again & I can't wait because it will be the match to watch!"

+1

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on November 14, 2014

Here is how C.P. handles wins by medical default in the Flo Rankings:

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251632-Preachin-With-C.P./video/753513-Preachin-What-To-Do-With-Schiller-and-Beckman

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2