Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Kent State vs Ohio State dual this thursday
John DiJulius added to this discussion on November 11, 2014

Where's the preview??? I don't know KSU's lineup. What are the key match ups? Is Tutolo starting or red shirting? Whose job is it to do this? Someone is slacking. It is only two days away

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on November 11, 2014

Not sure about the matchup at every weight, but I can tell you the only weight where Kent has a higher ranked wrestler is 157 with Ian Miller. I believe Demas owns a previous win over Miller....but I would think Miller would be slightly favored going into the match. 174 is a toss up from a rankings perspective as Martin and Marsh are a 11 and 12 respectively.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 11, 2014

My wife has to work tonight so I'll put something together.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 11, 2014

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"My wife has to work tonight so I'll put something together."

Who's watching your kids?

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on November 11, 2014

Maybe I'm missing it, but does anyone know if this will be live on the internet? Buckeye Vision and CBSSports Ulive don't have hardly any of the coverage they had in the past.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 11, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"My wife has to work tonight so I'll put something together."

Who's watching your kids?"

Me. Well, they'll be in bed by 8:00. Nice thing about young kids! Early bedtimes.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 14, 2014

Overall, I thought the Buckeyes looked good.

I thought Martin did a good job securing two at the end of the period. It turned out to be the differnce maker.

In an effort to live up to #wt3, I would have liked to see him score another takedown.

Courts looked superior to his opponent. It seemed as if he picked up on that as well and just started feasting on leg attacks.

Snyder seemed to start slow, but really started laying it on late.

Go Buckeyes.

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on November 14, 2014

My perception of the match through Blue and Gold glasses (although I'll root for OSU anytime they aren't wrestling KSU)

125- As expected
OSU- NT is a beast curious to see how Power vs. Speed plays out vs. Garrett or Delgado
KSU-curious to see if KSU pulls AT readshirt
133- I thought it would be a nailbiter/toss up and it was
OSU-Anyone else frustrated by JDJ style? I feel like to AA he is going to have to open up
KSU- Mack McGuire is better than some give him credit for, clearly trying to stay out of JDJ's dump, scramble in the 2nd where he gave up back points was the difference
141- As expected
149-Not surprised at result given line-up
KSU=-Glad to See Depalma back in the lineup, can he build on last years NCAA run?
OSU-Clearly miss H Stieber, interesting to see how his absence will affect 1st half the season, also could impact Missouri dual was excited to him vs. Houdeshelt (sp)
157- I think all parties were disappointed, fans, Miller, Demas. Started out as billed
165- As expected with Bo out of the line up. I thought with Bo out KSU could steel this one.
174- Thought this was a toss up bases on past results was hoping for a flipped result
KSU- I thought Marsh was the aggressor early, didn't like the fact that he seemed to drop in intensity in the 2nd (when he gave up the TD).
OSU-Martin capitalized when Marsh came out of his stance, similar to JDJ would like to see him push the action/impose his will more in the rest of the match.
184- Courts clearly the suprioru wrestler
KSU Cambell showed some fight important to keep that
OSU-Courts pushed to get the bonus points, Bucks will need those to reach their goals this season
197- Snyder seemed to live up to billing in the 3rd
KSU-Baxter is better than some give him credit for, frustrated Snyder early
OSU-Glad to see Snyder open things up as the match went on, clearly has all the right tools to live up to the billing
285-Can we just fast forward to the 9th overtime instead of watching the 1st 11 minutes
KSU-Lyttle showed improvement from last year, in position to make attacks but needs to finish
OSU-Tav, similar in position to score but needs to be a little deeper to finish. Can't score on half shots.

In all with the line up changes I thought the Dual could have been at best 5-5 KSU with OSU winning by Bonus points
I thought KSU could win be in the match at 133,149,157,165,174,285. It ended up 9-1. Both teams have a number of things to work on to reach their own goals but it's only November. It will be interesting to see where both programs are in March.

Great stuff, Coach Andrews.

133: I thought the score was indicitive of KSU knowing JDJ's style and trying (and succeeding) not to play into it.

At 197, I'm not sure if it was a wearing down on Baxter's part or an adjustment made by Snyder but something changed. The first period was NOT the same as the 3rd.

John Taylor added to this discussion on November 14, 2014

I really have felt for JDJ to AA this year he needed to come with some secondary offensive attacks he can score with. I hoped that we would see that, but we did not. I really believe that if that is all he is going to do, the best kids will be able to defend him and then he is in trouble. Just going off the 1 match I did not see the improvement I was really hoping to see, but it is only 1 match.

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Great stuff, Coach Andrews.

133: I thought the score was indicitive of KSU knowing JDJ's style and trying (and succeeding) not to play into it.

At 197, I'm not sure if it was a wearing down on Baxter's part or an adjustment made by Snyder but something changed. The first period was NOT the same as the 3rd."

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 14, 2014

At the MSU Open Snyder fell behind early in his matches with Mich. & OU. For some reason, he just seems to be a bit of a slow starter, but he comes on strong as the match unfolds. Even in his Junior World Championship he came back from being thrown to win the match.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on November 14, 2014

What I like about JDJ, is that if he can produce a couple of points, like last night....he can beat most guys. He had a nice turn last night. When those gorilla grips get a hold of people, it is controlling, but it is also very tiring. He can win close matches all season long. His style is unique and pretty annoying for other wrestlers. While he is not flashy and does not score huge points, it is difficult to keep JDJ from getting a hold of you and even more difficult getting free from him.

So, at this point, I would not make him top 5, but he is still solidly in the 8-12 range and very well may move himself right into the 4-8 range.

I would be frustrated as an opposing coach to have to plan to shake JDJ's Gorilla Glue. What I love is that he uses his unique advantages and makes them work pretty consistently. I don't know that they will put him in the mix for a title this year, but he is firmly in the mix for the podium.

Know that none of his matches are going to be flashy. He is not likely to be a guy to count on 4-6 team points consistently, but he will crank out 3 team points greater than 75% of the time. Those are important points!

Excellent post, Patrick.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 14, 2014

Pat: Good post but JDJ is currently ranked #7.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 14, 2014

I asked on yappi and will ask here what did you guys think of the pin at 165? I was there and looked away and looked up and he called it. I think it was a pretty quick call.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next