Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Early season surprises
Jamie Teel added to this discussion on November 10, 2014

Not sure if anyone else saw this but he lost to his teammate Mastriani at the Hokie open. I suspect its kind of a Paddack/Hunter situation where familiarity tends to keep things close, but this still came as a surprise to me.

Also, it was nice to see a CSU wrestler with a big win as the 125lber beat Darin Cruz who was an aa.

I will leave the Chance Marsteller debates to others, but those results show again how truly BRUTAL Division 1 wrestling is.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 10, 2014

Quote from Jamie Teel's post:

"Not sure if anyone else saw this but he lost to his teammate Mastriani at the Hokie open. I suspect its kind of a Paddack/Hunter situation where familiarity tends to keep things close, but this still came as a surprise to me."

In all fairness to Carter, a) as you mention, Mastriani is his teammate and there probably is some familiarity, but also, b) EDIT: He missed NCAAs by placing 4th at 149 in the ACC tournament.

Quote from Jamie Teel's post:

"I will leave the Chance Marsteller debates to others, but those results show again how truly BRUTAL Division 1 wrestling is."

And, perhaps, how much of a cut he is making. I have said from day one that the cut to 157 might be his undoing, but it would be hard to separate his cut from all the other factors that go into making D-I wrestling atthe college level brutal.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on November 10, 2014

chance lost twice in wrestle offs, while Anthony Collica beat everyone at 157. that's a big jump and to your point about what big cuts may do. Not always the best option. sometimes its best to grow. chance has some well documented family issues, hope he finds his way. you cant deny his success, but college d1 is no joke and you have to be ready physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 10, 2014

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"chance lost twice in wrestle offs, while Anthony Collica beat everyone at 157. that's a big jump and to your point about what big cuts may do. Not always the best option. sometimes its best to grow. chance has some well documented family issues, hope he finds his way. you cant deny his success, but college d1 is no joke and you have to be ready physically, mentally, and emotionally."

Bill--I think you really get to the heart of the matter. His results may or may not have been indicative of a weight cut, injury, illness to name a few possibilities. But I think a bad family dynamic can do more to hamper a wrestler--even one as lavishly talented as Marstellar--than all those combined. I just don't know how you succeed in this toughest of sports without a lot of good support in your life. I'm sure it's been done...but it's infinitely more difficult. I wish this young man well.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 11, 2014

Flo reports Carter to drop to 141. So Retherford out with a RS year and now Carter back in at 141. He looked huge at 141, but not so at 149.

► Add to the Discussion